HWC w cream as only ingredient

(Jenny) #1

I had given up looking at ingredients labels on cream because they always listed carrageenan, but Organic Valley brand does not. Will upload pics shortly. And it was even separated :slight_smile:

bonus if you put in your zip code it tells you where your farmer is. Mine was 148 miles away.

ps, I know some of you live on farms and milk fresh cow cream every morning under the virgin moonlight, allow me to clarify, big city girl living in a slightly smaller city now :sweat_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

OMG, It comes in 1/2 gallons! I’m curious about your aversion to carrageenan? It’s made from red seaweed. And the Organic Valley has gellan gum. It’s made by a bacteria feeding on maltodextrin, a product made from enzymes reacting with corn starch.

Not that I think any of these gums are bad, they are free of any caloric value and are a part of modern gastronomy used by the best chefs in the world. Xanthan Gum is very useful in keto cooking and I use it.

I’m in California and usually get Organic from Humbolt (brand not the county). It doesn’t have gums at all but lists organic milk along with the cream. But it’s 36% fat as well so I think they’re just being more straightforward, you can’t get every drop of milk and cream separated. You

(Jenny) #3

the one in the picture doesnt have the gum. The only ingredient is cream.

I dont have an aversion to it, i just prefer it without:)

I dont cook with xanthan gum. just prefer not to.

it does seperate which is fine by me :)!
I’ve not had anyone try to convince me to eat it before. strange.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

The web link has the inclusion of gellan gum at the bottom of the page. Interesting that your label doesn’t list it as an ingredient. Maybe the web page is older and they quit adding it.

I wasn’t trying to talk you into using anything. I use Xanthan Gum as a replacement for corn starch cooking Chinese food. It only takes a tiny pinch to thicken sauces. You can also make roux with it. Many of these gums are made by similar processes that sugar alcohols are made, a byproduct of a bacteria digesting a starch. In some ways similar to cheese making and other fermentation processes.

Of course it’s just fine if you don’t want to use or consume any food gums! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jenny) #5

the one with the screw cap has the gum. I assume some ppl just prefer it. so, they offer both.

I’m not much of a chef, I’m sure it’s useful.

(Anna Young) #6

Feb. 2020: Organic Valley Organic Pasture-Raised Heavy Whipping Cream ingredients listed on the box: Cream (milk), Gellan Gum. And ULTRA Pasteurized (faster = cheaper, but kills everything that’s good in the milk because done at higher temperature).

(Jenny) #7

the carton without the cap lists cream as the only ingredient. the carton with the cap includes an emulsifier. just sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

Here in Vancouver we also have a whipping cream whose sole ingredient is cream: Avalon. All others have one or more gums of various descriptions. My guess is the gums prevent separation because Avalon cream separates. Even if the gums are composed mostly of indigestible cellulose, I prefer to consume cream only.