Husband hungry, I'm not

(George) #21

It depends what you’re giving him. Give him an extra portion of meat cooked in a healthy fat so that the fat macro stays higher than protein. Neither of those will affect his carb intake, and he’ll be able to consume more food to feel full.

(Dee Nice) #22

@JRS08 good idea. Ill try this tonight. Thanks!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

Different strokes for different folks. I think generally the craving for sweets is not good, even if you satisfy it with relatively harmless alternatives to sucrose. What’s ‘harmless’ is very much an individual thing. For many folks, any sweetener can trigger an insulin spike even those sweeteners that don’t affect many others.

The best long term strategy is to wean yourself from sweet. Catering to sweet serves no good purpose and just gets you in trouble. :anguished:

(Dee Nice) #24

All the artificial sweeteners are suppose to be bad, yet I continuously read Stevia is best. I don’t feel the need to snack, but he does.

(Dee Nice) #25

@amwassil he craves the sugar, if I have cravings, it’s for cheese, a pat of butter or a spoon of almond butter…I can see how sweets can lead us down the wrong road. Thanks for your input!

(mole person) #26

You likely need to give him more. Chances are that he needs twice the protein that you do for one thing, he’ll also probably need way more fat than you in order to achieve satiety.

(John) #27

I concur with the suggestion to cut out the diet Cokes. There’s nothing good for you in them, so it’s not like you’re losing a critical nutrient.

I used to drink 4 or 5 of them a day back before I changed my way of eating. I quit all artificial sweeteners. My goal was to kill the “sweet tooth” that could lead to continued desire for sweet tasting things. It worked.

(Carl Keller) #28

I believe any time we mimic behavior that got us in trouble before, we are playing with fire. Replacing an addiction to sugar with an addiction to sweetness isn’t really fixing the problem. However, I believe if you are eating a little stevia and have given up a lot of sugar, then there is some progress.

Some studies say aspartame and stevia causes insulin to spike even moreso than table sugar, yet I’ve read several articles that cite studies that say otherwise. But a big problem with studies now days is that they are often influenced by whoever funded the study. Variables are often ignored and data is often manipulated to suit a predetermined goal.

Having said all of that, I do use stevia in my morning coffee and I will say that the more I drink, the more I can’t wait for lunch. Had this slowed up my weight loss, I would have given it up.

Be aware that most energy drinks, like Powerade, will take the enamel off his teeth if he drinks it enough. Happened to my son.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #30

Your husband may not have an issue with the artificial sweeteners, everyone is different in they’re reactions. Some people get stalled, especially if it’s a daily habit. Your husband is stalled so that’s why everyone suggested a test of dropping them, it’s the most obvious possible problem. If the importance of the sweet drinks outweighs his desire to see results they may hold him back or slow results considerably. If Poweraid Zero has artificial sweeteners it may have the same effect as Diet Coke.

I don’t normally consume diet soda but did on a recent 2 month trip, on most days and often more than one can. I gained eight pounds on that trip and when I got home and stopped drinking them the weight fell off quickly. I don’t know if that’s the cause but I now reserve them for rare occasions like when I go to a restaurant.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Dee Nice) #31

@Sharon_E Oh no! We’ll keep an eye on how much he has. Thanks

(Dee Nice) #32

@David_Stilley We did get stalled for a month, went out to eat a few times in one week. Then we got back on track and the weight started dropping again. He had one soda today & said he will just stop cold turkey and see what happens

(Dee Nice) #33

I agree and will give him more!

(Dee Nice) #34

He only had one yesterday and one today. Said he’d like another but was fine without. When he finishes what is in the fridge, we won’t buy anymore.

(John) #35

Some people are fine with artificially sweetened things. I found that I am not. It’s worth testing. If there’s no difference, and he really misses them, then nothing stopping him from going back to them.

You still have to enjoy things in life, unless they are detrimental to your longer term goals and you’ve decided that it’s worth giving them up. For me, I needed to kick the desire for sugary foods. Since artificially sweet things keep that sweet taste sensation in the forefront of “taste memory” if there is such a thing, for me, they had to go.

I will tell you, though, that after drinking Diet Coke daily as my primary beverage for years, that I sure don’t miss them now, after 8 months of not drinking them. It’s not like giving up something that is otherwise healthy and full of nutrition.

(Dee Nice) #36

@JohnH he will definitely try cutting out sodas to see what happens. If that works, great if not it might be he needs more food than I do.

(Mary Beth Barr) #37

I drink diet coke instead of coffee with no ill effects…lucky I guess.

(Ashley) #38

How’s your husband doing misty? Any updates?

(Bunny) #39

I would speculate leptin (resistance?) and ghrelin signaling helps controls the flow of said faucet output and clogged drain (below)?

image link: Why is a fat man still hungry

Leptin reset diet?

Notes:

[1] Leptin: Leptin is a hormone that helps regulate appetite by signaling hunger satisfaction (satiety). This test measures the amount of leptin in the blood to detect a deficiency that may be contributing to obesity. It is transported in the blood receptors in the hypothalamus in the brain. …More

[2] The leptin diet centers around five rules:

1. Eat foods that supply 20 to 30 grams of protein for breakfast.
  2. Don’t eat after dinner. …
  3. Eat three meals a day only, with no snacking in between. …
  4. Reduce your carbohydrate intake, but don’t eliminate carbs completely.
  5. Practice portion control at each meal. …More

[3] Now, the GOOD NEWS: you can reset your leptin sensitivity!

1. Limit your carb intake during the day, and time it as recommended in the Bulletproof Diet.
  2. Eat to eliminate food cravings and give your liver and hormones a rest. …More

[4] “…In leptin resistance, your leptin is high, which means you’re fat, but your brain can’t see it. In other words, your brain is starved, while your body is obese. And that’s what obesity is: it’s brain starvation. …” …More

(Dee Nice) #40

@monsterjuice, thanks for asking on his progress. Well he only has one soda a day. He figures he’s not drinking beer anymore (after 50 years) since starting Keto so one soda a day is, well, ok for him. I’ve been making him a 3 egg omelette instead of 2, adding more butter to veggies, on top of fish, etc., we have 1 oz of almonds in the afternoon and he’s not saying he’s hungry anymore. I believe more at breakfast was mostly the “cure” to his hunger pangs.