Hungry right after eating - help 😔😔

(mfinola) #1

Keto was so great- I was feeling completed satiated with every meal.
This week something different has happened:
I feel hungry all the time- specially after I eat.

My diet remains the same as the last 2 months so I’m so worried because I just feel like I’m eating all this food and nothing is actually making me feel like I’m feeding.
My stomach feels empty even after eating pork chops.

Does anyone know what this could be about? Should I stop fasting?

Hard to tell without a sample diet, are you tracking your intake? I could fast like a champ, used to do 7-8 days like it was nothing, but once food went down the hatch is was ON! Some of us can’t trust our hunger and satiety signals, sometime it’s our brains screwing with us, sometimes we’re under eating and it’s just telling us that. Given that it seems you were find eating standard keto and now getting binge-ish post fast you could just be under eating now.

(mfinola) #3

Hi! I considered that but it’s not normal hunger that you get when you don’t eat is— like I’m eating and it’s not changing the way my stomach feels even thou I noticed I’ve eaten more than enough food.
And that empty feeling doesn’t go away for hours… I just get some water down to help but I know that I’m eating enough.

Today I didn’t fast just had a couple of peanuts at around 13.00 - and eat my lunch at 16:00. I wanted to continue eating but i saw it was already enough and stopped. At 18:00 I was snacking :expressionless:

Just had dinner - fatty fish and cheese - I’m no where near satisfied thought my stomach is large due to what I’ve eaten…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Just to be safe, doublecheck your carbohydrate intake. It can sometimes creep up on us, without our knowing. Sometimes it’s just because we aren’t paying attention, but sometimes the manufacturer changes a formulation without notice.

I’d start tracking everything and weighing daily, you’re going to need to find trends in what you eat, how you feel, where and when your hunger/satiety kicks in, and what’s happening weight wise. On one side it (sounds) like you’re not eating enough, but on the other you said you ate so much your stomach was large which is clearly two different ends of the spectrum. For me my protein being higher is was satiates me. Many people feel the fat does that for them, not really for me though. I can eat delicious fatty stuff all day long, but a big steak will fill me up no problem. But if you don’t track you don’t know. Figuring yourself out can be a pain, but when you have EVERYTHING laid out in front of you it’s not that hard. Just takes a little bit of time.

Parasites?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Everyone is different in this regard. Our recommendations are only a starting-point; people have to figure out how to tweak what they do to find what works best for them. You are a perfect example of this point.

Eat more. It is simple. Your body is asking for more food.

just eat as you need and then you will flip the appetite back and forth…some days ya need alot and other days you will cruise thru but listen to what your body wants.

if we get out of our own way and eat as the body asks…on our plan tho, no crazy eating or ‘forced fasts’ you think you need…:slight_smile: …you will give your body just what it is asking.

So you are fine, eat a bit more, enjoy every bite, let the changes come naturally and easy and go forward. I say you are fine :slight_smile:

(Allie) #9

Yes this, pay attention to your body. Are you being more active? I always need more food the day after an intense gym session.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

I second the suggestions to pay attention to your body. In addition, as Paul mentioned, verify your carb intake and as Ifod suggested, track your food portions at least for awhile to verify exactly what you’re eating and how much. You get hunger signals - good for you! You say you’ve been eating the same for a couple months, but now still feel hungry afterwards, even though you feel ‘full’. Hunger before a meal is OK, just your body’s way to say ‘it’s time to eat’. Hungry all the time is not OK. It’s your body’s way of saying ‘eat more or we’re going to shut down’.

Why are you fasting? When you are ‘fat adapted’ and running mostly on fatty acids and ketones, you can fast and won’t feel hungry all day long. The constant hunger is a BIG WARNING to eat more. If that means you have to eat more meals, eat more meals. Eat more sat fat, which will help increase your satiety feelings. Cacao butter is a very easy addition since it tastes a little like chocolate and you could let it ‘melt in your mouth’ as dessert with every meal.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

Re fasting, you may find this thread of interest:

…and my initial comment:

… When I was growing up during the Paleocene that was the way most people ate every day and didn’t think anything of it. Break fast at 8, supper at 6. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can relate. I am really hungry only after a meal :smiley: Well, life is like that sometimes. It will pass.
But I know some reasons that makes this experience too frequent:

1. Not eating enough. If I need at least as much food than my daily energy need, so be it. I had that in my first keto months and I very often had it after fat adaptation too.
  2. Not the right food choices… Ketosis itself isn’t enough for some of us. Maybe the carbs are still too high - low enough for ketosis but not low enough to getting satiated with a modest amount of food. Maybe there is some problematic items. I do my best to minimize added fat and cream as it just piles up without satiating me. I can afford more of them only if I use my top satiating items and avoid carbs as much as I can.
  3. Timing. If I start to eat tiny meals, I get hungry myself… If I want to restrict my calories, I better have a decent meal at least… (A big one just doesn’t fit into my day.) But using my best food items, I don’t need to do OMAD, thankfully. As I add carbs and other not satiating items (for me, it’s very individual and subject to change too), the size of my eating window becomes more important. For maintenance on a carby diet, I would need OMAD (and it still wouldn’t work, I never could go back again but that’s not the point here). Using my most satiating food only, I don’t need other rules, it automatically will be fine.

You probably need other things than me but it’s quite possible that multiple factors have an important role in your satiation.

I don’t know why you suddenly changed but maybe your body wants more food now for some reason. Maybe you ate too little this far. According to your body, at least, mine hates every tiny deficit on almost every woe since I became less fat… Maybe yours was okay with it this far but not anymore? Maybe you lost enough fat for your energy intake to be insufficient? I don’t know how much you lost, what are your stats and how much do you eat…
Our body has its quirks too. Once I had a month when I suddenly wanted 1000 kcal more every day. My lifestyle changed nothing, no idea what it was…

In short: if you are hungry, eat, I guess. Unless if you are very sure you shouldn’t. I have times when I accept 2 hungry hours in the beginning of my fast (after eating very much). My hunger/satiation signals are sometimes off but I know what my body needs. Being flexible is important but sometimes I know more eating wouldn’t help and sometimes I CAN’T eat, I am simply hungry. it’s not frequent. Frequent hunger means bad lifestyle or too little food to me.

If you want to continue eating, you probably should continue eating. If it’s too much eating, change something. Peanuts definitely would be a problem for me especially alone. Eat proper, satiating meals if you need those. Maybe you are like me and a big meal satiates you for way longer than 2 smaller using the same amount of food…

(mfinola) #13

Hi!! What makes you think it’s parasites??

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #14

If you’re eating for two (or more), that would make a difference! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

Pork but I could be wrong.

Your Leptin/GLP-1 release after a fatty meal is impaired. Parasites, artificial sweeteners, high insulin, breaking the fast before 18-23 hours, lack of physical activity/tantric sex, etc… can reduce leptin levels.

In the past. I’ve confused real hunger for needing to poop and for stress. This may also apply to you.

Ask yourself before your first meal. Am I hungry?

(Allie) #16

How much are you actually eating? What you think in your head is enough for your body may not be paying attention to what your body actually needs.

Personally I stopped doing longer fasts if multiple days as I found they were messing with my natural satiety signals, as in when I did eat, I couldn’t eat enough to satisfy my hunger. Now all I do is a natural type of IF that’s untimed, just paying attention to hunger.