Hunger control

(Mandy) #1

Hi I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting eating under control. I was a compulsive/addicted eater. I have lost about 20kgs through IF/EF and keto but when I do eat I still can’t control my need to eat constantly. I thought fasting and getting my insulin response under control would sort this out. I like fasting because I find it easier to not eat than to control myself when I do eat. Anybody experience the same thing? How do you deal with it?

(TJ Borden) #2

Off hand, without knowing the specifics of what you’re eating and how long you’ve been keto, I’d say increase the fat. It can seem like the default answer on this forum, but it’s pretty tough to keep eating/overeat fat.

Want proof? Grab a stick of butter and start eating it like a candy bar. Bet you can’t finish the whole stick in one sitting. After a few bites your brain will tell you to stop.

Since you’re used to an IF/EF routine, as long as you’re eating the right foods, it’s okay to eat. The balance of fasting is FEASTING.

(Raj Seth) #3

Challenge accepted :grinning:
Can I do it with a pound of bacon instead??
Pretty please with lard on top😀

(TJ Borden) #4

That probably works, although I think a pound of bacon is more do-able than a stick of butter. :joy:

(Rob) #5

It is probably best to learn from people who lack reliable satiety signals. Some will achieve them eventually, some never will but either way, @gardengirlkp has some good advice in this post and lots of useful further discussion in this thread:

We sound quite similar! I did eat loads when I started keto- only 6 weeks ago… I am feeling less hungry now so don’t need the snacks, but still eating 3 big meals a day! I did eat quite a bit of coconut oil to start, not now. Like you, I fast, & find that easier knowing I’m not going to eat than managing food on other days! At the moment I’m fasting 24 or 36 hours Monday, Weds & Friday, I just count carbs & keep under the 20g on nonFDs, it seems to be okay, I’m losing slowly with that combination, as long as I don’t go near peanut butter…
I’ve read gardengirlkp’s posts in the Maintenance section like Capnbob suggests, & she has really good advice. There’s also a new thread just started with some good advice if you’ve not already seen it:

Good luck- you’re not alone!

(Mandy) #7

Not sure i could actually eat a stick of butter …but I like your advice. I will try increasing the fat. Thanks

(Mandy) #8

Bacon sounds great!

(Mandy) #9

Thanks, great tip!

(Mandy) #10

Great advice, thank you

“Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation.” - Saint Augustine

I get you on the hunger control issue and fasting. When fasting, its a really good time to explore the role of habit and eating. I find that switching activities or even watching TV in a different location (not the family room) can help deal with the emotional/habitual desire to munch. Sometimes i just want a flavor, not necessarily food - in those cases a cup of herbal tea with a strong flavor helps or even just brushing my teeth can be a flavor and also a signal that i’m done eating for the night…

(Allan L) #12

This is exactly the same for me. When I eat I can’t stop even when no longer hungry. Telling myself that I am having no food is easiest. So I follow ADF where I fast for 40 hours and then eat for 8. Keeps me in balance and contributes to weight loss. I also find that my first meal is much more satiating after not eating for 40 hours.

When I do eat I always have avocado with the meal as I find it quite filling, or/and cauliflower mash etc.

(Liz ) #13

I tend toward overeating even on Keto. Though I think mine work pretty well, I can blow right past satiety signals. Pretty sure I can eat a whole stick of butter :wink: I had to change my behaviors, literally leave the kitchen, get in a bath, write a letter to a friend, etc.

At first I felt terribly lost and sad when I stopped using food for comfort & entertainment, truly bereft. I say leave room for grieving. But over time those feelings did ease so IMO it’s worth going through the tough part if you can find behavioral modifications to stop the out of control eating behavior in the first place. Then it’s just practice.