Humans were actually apex predators who ate meat for 2 million years

(Steve) #1

Yet another news article about how we were carnivores for the longest time:

Humans were actually apex predators who ate meat for 2 million years: study

(Joey) #2

If by “apex” the author means humans were at the tippy top of the food chain, then an apology is owed to lions, tigers, and bears. Oh my.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

You’ve never eaten bear meat?

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #4

Being able to avoid being eaten, has to account for something…

(Vic) #5

Hey Joey.

We are still apex predators. We don’t use teeth or claws to hunt but.

Other top predators on earth will only stand a chance against humans if we are not in hunting mode or when we are off guard.

Our big brain is the most dangerous hunting weapon nature has ever evolved.

If you want to attack humans and all you have is teeth and claws like a lion, you better run, you may catch one human off guard but when humans decide to take you out…

(Joey) #6

@Carnivoor @OldDog @PaulL

Okay, I am humbled and concede your point(s).

Although personally, I’m okay in my dual role as both eater and eaten.

After all, in the end, each of us is destined to lose the battle at some point … after which we’ll be consumed by bacteria and nematodes :wink: Ciao baby.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

People are keto, you know! :meat_on_bone:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

The earliest evidence of hominid carnivory is Australopithecus afarensis (aka ‘Lucy’) from 3.9 million year old bone fossils that were broken open with rocks to get to the marrow. I posted about this in another topic recently. I’ll cross link later when I’m home from work.

Among other things.
I only learned about a disturbing custom a little time ago, I mean preservation of almost everyone in some countries. Putting chemicals into the soil, it sounds so bad. I want an eco burial (I plan a long life, many things can happen until then), everything should break down quickly! No stupid coffins either but definitely no chemicals. Why would anyone want to see me after death when I die at Guinness Record age? They should look at me before I die anyway, there will be plenty of time for that! (In my country it’s not a custom to look at dead people at burial so we don’t do the chemicals. Good.)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

(UsedToBeT2D) #11

Agree, our brain is the reason for our success. But will likely be the key to our demise, and so many other species, if not the planet.