How to up my fat intake and stay within my calorie intake

(Ivy) #1

Any decent snacks I can eat between meals to get my fat up but not calories? Or is this even possible ?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

If you are new to keto, don’t worry about calories. Pork rinds (with sour cream, guacamole, or hot sauce), pepperoni and cheese roll-ups, cheese, a few nuts, avocado. Welcome, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Height, weight? Goals? Why you started keto, and how long ago?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

@juice, por favor. Your checklist?

(Running from stupidity) #4

Keto is this easy (Keto for beloved noobs)

This is for Phase One - the starter phase. It’s still not complicated later, but this is the really easy to explain version which will help you no end.

• Eat under 20g of carbs a day

• Don’t worry about the scale

• Eat plenty of good food - fat and protein - while adhering to 20g/carbs/day. Don’t worry too much about macros and calories EXCEPT carbs. Keep them below 20g/day. (Prioritize the protein - always start with protein in every meal, but don’t panic about it.) Your job is to get fat-adapted, so give your body the fuel you want it to use. Also, your appetite will vary - it’ll disappear, then it’ll come roaring back. Happens to most people, don’t sweat it.

• ELECTROLYTES/SALT - KEEP THEM UP

• Buy the meat you can afford - don’t stress about grass-fed, organic (con), etc… The worst meat is better than the best bread.

• Fasting is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Works for lots, not for others. Don’t let tools tell you to use it before you’re fat-adapted and it makes sense.

• This site has a search function (magnifying glass at the top of the page) and a newbies section - use them both, you’ll get a better variety of answers to your questions far more quickly that way. SERIOUSLY, THIS IS VERY USEFUL.[1]

That’s as difficult as it needs to be for a couple of months.

My good friend Terence (being friends with a Kiwi feels kinda dirty, but there you have it, keto makes for strange bedfellows) tells me this thing I have described above is called “dirty keto.” So yeah, do dirty keto, kids! :slight_smile:

Lots of Love, THE JUICE

Expanded version is HERE

[1]If you can’t find a useful answer after searching and reading for a while, we can help you a lot more if you tell us relevant data about yourself such as your reasons for doing keto, your weight/height/age/gender, a sample menu plan & any relevant health conditions.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

This is a good link:

(Ivy) #6

Hi, I am 5’9 , 220. A wife and a mother of 5… I had twins 2 years ago and never lost the weight. My husband is in awesome shape but have made some goals and is doing keto with me . Keto looks to be great. I use to go bodybuilding 4 years ago and I am use to prepping but not like this . Today was day 1 I feel tired but did great . However I was wondering about calories .

(Running from stupidity) #7

(Allie) #8

Don’t limit calories, just keep carbs below 20g.

(Robert C) #9

It is possible but, if you are looking for weight loss, usually the suggestion is to avoid snacks (both because they may raise insulin between meals and because their composition tends to not be as good as making slightly larger whole food meals).

But, not skipping snacks in some sort of discipline oriented bodybuilding prep way - denying yourself food even when hungry - but in the “eat to satiety” way.

In other words (just examples - not suggested eating times) if you are having a meal at 11 AM and you will be eating with your family at 6 PM - then eating to satiety would probably mean eating a hearty meal - eating until you feel you will not be hungry again until 6 PM. (Thus avoiding snacking altogether!)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

In the absence of carbohydrate, the body will still not let go of its store of fat, if it thinks there is a famine going on. So when we cut calories, the last thing the body wants to do is shed fat. The key, then, to losing weight is to eat enough. This is why we advise “fat to satiety.” Carbohydrate has to be low, because only when insulin is low, can our fat cells release their fat. Protein should be moderate, enough but not too much. That leaves fat to fill in the missing calories, since carbohydrate stimulates insulin production quite a bit, and fat stimulates it the least (protein is in the middle). So eat when you are hungry, stop eating when you stop being hungry, and don’t eat again until you are hungry again. Don’t eat just because the clock tells you to.

(Scott) #11

This is where I turn this thread into a Macadamia nuts thread. My favorite go to snack if you must snack!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Did you give up on macadamia anonymous? :grin::wink:

(Scott) #13

Reaching for the bag now but I can quit anytime I want to.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

Meh!! I don’t really think of them as nuts.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #15

No, there are 9 calories per gram of fat as opposed to carbs and protein which are 4g.

Try to prevent snacking as much as possible, unless it is pure fat it will raise insulin.
You want to keep insulin as low as possible.

(Running from stupidity) #16

But steaks are OK to snack on. #PROTEINFTW!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #17

That’s a meal :stuck_out_tongue:

(Running from stupidity) #18

No…

(Robert C) #19

I do not think there is anything to show that.
For me the question is where is the cutoff.
A 16 oz. steak is a meal.
But, what about 12 or 10 or 6 or 4 - at some point it becomes a snack.
Maybe we can find the answer with a large scale study of partial steak eaters.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #20

Perhaps I am speaking personally but I don’t know anyone who can have just a bit of steak as a snack. When I eat steak it’s a 250-300g eye fillet and I don’t eat it any other way :joy:

Once you pop you can’t stop. Not with Steak anyway :smiley: