How to I figure my target daily calories?

I want to start keto next week. Someone told me my fat needs to be 70% of my daily calories, protein 25% and carbs 5%. is this accurate?

Is there a calculator somewhere where I can put in my age, height and weight and have it show me my daily cals I should stay under for weight loss?

Im 6’2 and 242 lbs, my goal is to lose 30 lbs in 3 months. Is that too ambitious?
Im exercising 6 days a week, 3 days of elliptical and 3 days of weights.

(Andrew) #2

If you don’t eat carbs, then your body won’t make insulin, and you CAN’T add any fat. In fact, reducing calories may slow your fat loss.

You eat till you are full and that’s all. Easiest diet ever.

20g of carbs. NO MORE. That’s about the only rule.

(Dan Dan) #3

IF/EF KETO WOE is not about loosing weight its about attaining a healthy fat to muscle body composition by changing your body’s primary energy source to fat rather than carbohydrates

This is accomplished by a Diet high in fat, moderate in protein, and low in carbohydrates (net)

Restricting Calories is not recommended or necessary for a change in body composition.

If a quick change in body composition is desired IF/EF (Intermittent Fasting/Extended Fasting) is the preferred method as it spares muscle and has numerous health benefits.

If you want to track your progress a body composition scale and a cloth tape measure will help.

If you want to Track ketosis a Blood ketone meter or a keto breathalyzer are preferred (urine keto strips rarely work and are not recommended)

I would start in the newbie section on the main page :grin:

If you like YouTube I like DR. Berg he explains it in a simple way (for a simple person like me) :smiley:

Here is a good macro calculator :smiley:

You can try a Cheap Breathalyzer I think it would work better for your purpose :thinking:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Dan Dan) #4

It adds up to 105% so no :thinking:

Its a misconception that Keto is calorie restricted its not, You are switching your body’s fuel source from carbs to fat not cutting calories. :muscle:

Start here

For Men no lower than 2000 kcals

20g C / 125g P / 155g F Macros 5 / 25 / 70

16oz of fatty meat is 120g of Protein and 90g of Fat :grinning:
16oz (5 to 6 cups) low carb mixed veggies 15g to 20g net Carbs :grinning:
add 4 to 6 tablespoons Butter/Fat to Meals 48g to 72g Fat :heart:

For the Ladies no lower than 1500 kcals

20g C / 82g P / 122g F Macros 5 / 22 / 73

12oz of fatty meat is 80g of Protein and 70g of Fat :grinning:
16oz (5 to 6 cups) low carb mixed veggies 15g to 20g net Carbs :grinning:
add 4 to 6 tablespoons Butter/Fat to Meals 48g to 72g Fat :heart:

Just divide by number of meals :thinking:

Calories and Macros are guidelines don’t be strict they are to help you not hinder you :thinking:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

Go Big Red :corn::football:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

@husker3in4 We tell people to cut their carbohydrate to nearly nothing (under 20 grams/day) and to replace all those calories with fat, since you are lowering your carbohydrate to avoid stimulating an insulin response and fat stimulates such a response the least (carbohydrate the most, protein at half (?) that rate, and fat hardly at all).

Don’t worry about calories. Just add fat to your meals so that you are satisfied and not hungry. Your body will, by eliminating hunger, tell you when you’ve given it enough. Most people in the initial “induction” stage of a ketogenic way of eating naturally limit themselves to around 1500 calories; the other 1000 calories that they need coming from stored fat. But this only works if you eat fat to satiety. If you try to achieve a restricted calorie level, your body will respond by lowering your basic metabolic rate. If you give your body enough calories by eating fat to satiety, it will burn its store of fat. But you don’t need to worry about your caloric intake; that’s your body’s job.

(Adam Smith) #7

What the others said. Keep your carbs under 20g per day. Don’t count calories, eat when you’re hungry and as long as it’s mostly fat you will get full and stay full. Do not attempt to go calorie restricted. Keto isn’t like other diets, you shouldn’t starve yourself. Especially during the first week or two.

Weight loss tends to happen quickly for men but it will happen at your body’s own pace. Focus on being healthy and the weight loss will just happen safely. If you eventually hit a long plateau, you can try exercise or fasting to try to shake things up.

I would advise against trying to lose a certain amount of weight in some arbitrary period.

Also, a word of warning. During the first week or two when you’ve burned through your glycogen and have not yet gotten fat adapted, your exercise is going to kick your butt. It’s going to be HARD. You might not actually even be able to do your normal routine because your liver stinks at making ketones right now, and you won’t have glucose to use. It’s normal, so don’t be disappointed.