How quickly can you get on the Keto Diet?

(Ethan De Freitas) #1

Hi guys.
So I was wondering how quickly (hours) can you get on the Keto Diet? (Assuming you have most of the knowledge about the actual diet)
2. Also say you’ve been on for a month and you come off because your intake of carbs exceeded 100g on that day. How long would you be able to get back on if the very next day you reduced back to 20g?

If I’m not mistaken, I believe you may actually be asking, 'How quickly can you get into Ketosis?

Because you can basically start eating a Keto Diet anytime, and continue to do so for as long as you like. As for getting into Ketosis, (from everything that I’ve read) they suggest keeping carbs under 20g a day. (Which by my understanding, is suggested since it almost insures that anyone doing this will get into Ketosis.) But there is no set amount. Your carb count may very for you? Some can do this eating a lot more, and some less.

As far as how long it takes to get into Ketosis, from what I’ve read, it can be as little as hours for some, or days or more for others. (It differs for all of us, and has a lot of variables that may come into play. Plus, there is always a sure amount of un-proven data, as well as some just guessing.)

As for daily carbs needed to stay in Ketosis, again, depends on the individual. I’ve read a few times in just the past week or so, were counts of 125g or 150g was still considered low carb. But most advice I saw when I was doing loads of research, was to try to keep carbs at or under 15g or 20g, for maximum weight loss. But again this can be tweaked to the individual. … It all depends on what you want, and how you want to go about it all.

Good luck.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

It all depends on how long you have been doing keto and how fat adapted you are.
I can eat 100g and be back into ketosis within 12 hours.
For someone else, that could take 3 days.

(Ken) #4

It depends on how much glycogen you have stored. It can take several days if you’re full on glycogen and have lots of carbs in your digestive tract.

Once digestive tract carbs are gone, you secrete glucagon. This enables glycogenolysis. Once that’s gone you start burning fat and therefore are in Lipolysis. Ketosis is a minor aspect of Lipolysis.

(Bunny) #5

Usually three days with carbs under 21 grams at three meals a day which kick starts the body into ketosis (usually) just short of fasting & feasting etc., most earlier variations of the ketogenic diet that were offshoots of Atkin’s started to add more dietary fat, so after the three day restriction they would up the carbs to 30 or 50 grams or more depending on the persons BMI, the higher the BMI (including height and body fat, sex etc.) means the person needs more carbs when they are a beginner etc.

I think way back then they were not sure if the body could handle 20 grams of carbs per meal at three meals a day long-term which I think is still controversial as far as efficacy is concerned because some people cannot handle that for too-long; because that type of caloric restriction (why the dietary fat was increased) is too much, too soon, too fast and shocks the metabolism (you will be hungry like a wolf) when you have more body fat (e.g. leptin resistance)!

(Ethan De Freitas) #6

Very true. I was back in ketosis in about 16 hours

(Ethan De Freitas) #7

Ok so to cut out the hunger cravings I took Garcinia Cambogia. Which I believe also helped with the fat burning. And so after running on mornings and eating such few carbs. I find my body is running on 400-600 calories a day. I was just wondering if you know of any studies involving GC.

(Bunny) #8

One thing I would do is watch my blood sugar with a glucose meter because GC could make your blood sugars go real low (headaches, dizziness, dry mouth etc), just as cautionary measure because it could increase hunger and do the opposite and make you want to eat everything in sight besides lowered immune function, skin rashes, fatigue, diarrhea, nausea, hepatotoxicity and acute liver injury if taken in high doses. Would definitely make sure my glutathione levels were optimal while taking this stuff?

WHY GARCINIA CAMBOGIA AND THE KETO DIET REALLY WORK TOGETHER The Keto Diet Is Low in Carbs & Garcinia Cambogia Blocks Off the Rest of the Sugar: Citrate lyase is an enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of starch and sugar into fat. In Garcinia Cambogia the main ingredient known as HCA (hydroxycitric acid) works by blocking this enzyme. It binds to citrate lyase and blocks it from binding to any other molecule. This, in turn, enables the carbohydrates to be used up as energy for bodily functions just as fat does with the keto diet. For all the carbohydrates found in the keto diet, use garcinia cambogia to block the rest of the sugar molecules to taking effect and causing additional weight gain.

It took me about a day to go from 0.1 ketone level, to 2.9 when I started.
I had some Jack Daniels one night after about week 3, the alcohol kicked me out immediately but, I was back in the next morning.

(Ethan De Freitas) #10

My skin itches sometimes. Other than that I didn’t have those other side effects. I actually took a one month supply(GC) in two weeks. But I haven’t now for 10 days. Decided to take break and just focus on strict Keto for now. I do a lot of running in the dawn I find this really helps to jump start the ketones. I’m hoping to lose another 20lbs by Jan 3. Cheers

(Frank) #11

The infinite variability inherent in our individual physiology makes answering these questions impossible. Our body’s are not like a light switch. This way of eating (WOE) has a very general list of recommendations (under 20 net carbs, 1-1.5g of protein per kg of lean body mass, fat to satiety). Once you’re fat adapted there’s a lot of self experimentation to find out our own individual limits and tolerances.

(Bunny) #12

Arginine is another way to speed up (through IGF-1) and enhance fat burning (besides glucagon) which also weakens (i.e. arginine) the immune system a little bit temporarily much like GC…

What Triggers Human Growth Hormone (HGH)? Dr. Berg talks about Human Growth Hormone (HGH) and what it does as well as how to increase it. This hormone is involved in cell growth, reproduction and regeneration. It helps retain calcium, it’s anti-aging, effects cognitive function and is connected to fat burning. It’s triggered by: intermittent fasting, hypoglycemia, arginine, vitamin B3 and intense exercise. Growth hormone is inhibited by insomnia, sugar (insulin), stress (cortisol) and endocrine disruptors.

1. L-arginine enhances aerobic exercise capacity in association with augmented nitric oxide production.
  1. PRE-EXERCISE ARGININE SUPPLEMENTATION INCREASES TIME TO EXHAUSTION IN ELITE MALE WRESTLERS
  1. Improved Anaerobic Use of Arginine by Saccharomyces cerevisiae

See also: Raw steak juice (myoglobin) helps your blood carry more oxygen. …More