How on earth is it possible to keep protein low?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

So much truth here.

In the context of this discussion, however, let me just point out that the body is hard to manipulate by giving or withholding calories, since it can respond to quite a range of inputs. More relevant to the discussion is the whole basis of the ketogenic diet: what foods we eat are even more important than how much food we eat. I weigh ten pounds less today than I weighed yesterday, and not because I’ve been eating less, lately—if anything, it’s been the opposite, to tell the truth. Who knew that eating more could lead to my weighing less?

(Lauren) #42

I admittedly skimmed, so I don’t know if this was mentioned. Other than the obvious butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc., I also add sour cream or cream cheese to a lot of foods. Bacon or bell pepper in cream cheese? Yes please. Ham slices with sour cream and mustard? Yum. Eggs (cooked in butter) with salsa, cheese, and sour cream? So good.

(Diane) #43

You can extra egg yolks or heavy cream to scrambled eggs.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #44

So here’s my 2 cents…
I do not have T2D, not am I insulin resistant. My metabolism is not “deranged” as some put it.
I have seen, in my own eating, that higher protein tends to lower my blood ketone levels. I have been generally eating during a 4 hour window at supper time.

Here is my n=1 thread, if anyone cares to look.
My n=1 protein thread

I’m still trying to figure it out, since I like eating meat. But I find it’s really easy to eat more that 55-60g! My current weight is about 120lbs (55kg).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Are you eating 55-60 g of protein, or 55-60 g of meat? Because 55-60 g of meat is only about 14-15 g of protein.

Don’t forget that Dr. Bikman gives you permission to eat up to 110 g of protein. :bacon::bacon:

(Mother of Puppies ) #46

Did anyone say to eat green veggies with a fat (like spinach drizzled in good evoo) or fatty sauce added? (Like broccolini with Alfredo sauce)

(Kirk Wolak) #47

First, egg yolks alone are the perfect keto level.
So is Pepperoni 86% fat.

Keep in mind that not every gram of MEAT is a gram of PROTEIN!
And that ratio is about calories.

I did the PKD variation. Where almost 88% of calories had to come from fat.
And NO processed food (pepperoni was out). I made a fatty stew. Once it was cooled,
it cut like PIE, LOL…

But you don’t have to be afraid of the protein. The real issue is the carbs.

HTH