How much veg do you eat a day?

As in servings, including avacado?
I think I’m eating too much for weightloss, I’m averaging like 6-10 servings.

I had 11 servings today!!

(eat more) #3

and how many carbs?

(Scott Shillady) #5

I average about one a day, but i hate veggies for the most part. The great thing about keto is you can have as much or as little as you want as long as you are keeping your carbs under 20. I would think that 11 servings would put you above that

But fitness pal doesn’t minus your fiber right?? I’m new at fitness pal and counting calories and macros in general. Beginning to hate it :frowning:
I’m confused!!

65g per day but 30g of fiber, so is that 35 g of net carbs??? it’s nearly aallll veg.

LOL!! And what is the particular veg you choose to eat each day? I couldn’t imagine, I’d seriously go insane with rage if I couldn’t have my vegetables.

(Scott Shillady) #9

MFP doesn’t subtract fiber, but even after it does you at 34 grams carbs. the first moth your focus should be on keeping your carbs below 20. Your fat to protein ratio looks pretty good. dont worry about calories. its all about the carbs to a minimum and moderate on the protein. do not be afraid of fat :bacon:is your friend!!

(eat more) #10

i shoot for 20 net per day…primarily veggies and trace (in cheese, cream, nuts, etc)

some ppl love my fitness pal…i am not one of those ppl…i use fatsecret which allows you to change the columns, you can view net carbs or total carbs

but how do I get all my fiber if I lower my veg? I don’t want to take fiber powder or capsules :confused: (I also eat nuts and seeds daily)

Yes I agree MFP is kind of irritating me because it keeps saying I’m eating too much fat. :-/

I just downloaded Fatsecret!! Thanks!!

(eat more) #14

i don’t have a fiber target so i don’t have an answer…

(Martin Liversage) #15

Why do you need fibers?

One reason is health. Supposedly, eating a lot of fibers has health benefits including reducing the risk of colon cancer. However, the book Fiber Menace (which I haven’t read) explains that much of this research is not really well established after all and that too much fiber may have adverse health effects.

Another reason is to improve your digestion to avoid constipation or the opposite. However, after getting rid of most carbohydrates I feel no need to add extra fibers. My digestion is as good as it can get - much better than before starting keto.

Because the science seems unclear and perhaps misguided I’ve decided to let my body guide me and my body says that everything is OK.

(Sascha Heid) #16

None :slight_smile:

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #17

No plant based food Dec 26-Jan 28, limited plant based (e.g., garlic seasoning, a bit of spinach, caulimash) Jan 29-Feb, and no plants all of March :grinning::blush::sunglasses:. Everything running smoothly, nutrients are good, feeling great!

(Todd Allen) #18

It varies day to day but as a recovering vegetarian/vegan it’s often a lot. Yesterday I had a single meal which I started preparing at 2 pm and finished eating by 5 pm. It was topped with some animal foods, 3 poached eggs, 2 oz salmon, and 2 oz parmesan cheese but everything else was veg/fruit: spinach, kale, romaine, mushrooms, onions, tomato, peppers with additional fat and protein from avocado, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, sprouted broccoli seed, cashews, mustard and olive oil. According to cron-o-meter I had roughly 90 grams each of carb and protein and 100 grams of fat, but only 33 net carbs.

Due to the high cost of the blood ketone test strips I haven’t been monitoring it lately, but in the past when eating similarly I would typically be around 1 mmol ketones the following morning. What I like about eating this way is I find it very satisfying. I can eat a tremendous amount of food by volume and be absolutely stuffed while keeping the total calories low enough that I am still losing weight. While it is a lot of carbs by keto standards I’m more concerned about the effect on my blood gucose than maximizing ketones and these low density carb sources mixed with fat and protein don’t spike my BG badly and for most of the hours of the day my BG is near my fasting level of 100 (still too high but slowly getting better).

(eat more) #19

i gave this some more thought…
where is your fiber target coming from?
i believe SAD recommends a minimum of 25g/day but i’ve never seen any mention of a minimum regarding keto (granted i haven’t read everything on the planet)

as stated by others…some folks have zero and fiber can actually be disruptive

i don’t believe pills and powders are necessary and are kind of a throwback to the 80’s-present low calorie, low fat, high volume eating recommendations.

have you done your keto calculations?

(they’ve prefilled the fields so just change them to yours :slight_smile: )

it simplifies things for your primary focus to be on the 3 macros…
one of my favorite things i’ve read on this forum:
protein is a goal
carb is the limit
fat is the lever

About 1…something along the lines of 3 stems of broccolini with a steak or such. Think I have it more out of habit and plating aesthetics than necessity to be honest.

I’m like you as a prior vegetarian. I certainly feel the same way you do with veg, I can eat a gigantic amount and be so satisfied without the calories!..So far I’m averaging about 30-40 net carbs a day with my veg intake but still in ketosis and losing. If my weight-loss slows I will reduce the veg but as of now I cannot live without a large amount…I mean I could, but why :smiley: I crave them constantly even though my intake of fat is high. Eating fresh and ripe veggies, such as caprese salad I could not do without!!! Fruit I’m alright without but fresh herbs and veggies are my heart…With Keto it is fun because they taste so good with fat :stuck_out_tongue: