How Much Potassium From Supplements Is Too Much?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #21

I have a friend who smokes over a pack a day, drinks a case of coke and diet Mt. Dew and eats candy bars every single day. He’s fit and looks pretty great for his age. We joke that he’s already preserved his insides, that’s why he isn’t aging. I’m sure the ravages of time will get him though.

(Davy) #22

He must be fairly young. And exercise a lot? Yep, time might be gaining on him. My aunt down in Howard’s Bottom, on the Cumberland River, ate full fat fresh milk on the farm, real butter, fresh red meat, lot of pork, fresh eggs, etc. (though she probably ate a fair amount of white sugar in desserts) lived to 111 years over in Campbellsville. Maybe genes have something to do with it too. I went to see her when she was 109…hadn’t seen her in many years. Knocked on the door and some old woman walked spryly to the front door. I said, Hi Aunt Lear! The old woman said, oh, you must want Mamma. She’s in the back room. That was her 90 year old daughter. :slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #23

I love that story! I can just imagine it. Can I ask what she finally died from?

(Davy) #24

“Can I ask what she finally died from?”
It was the potassium.

lol … kidding. Just old age I reckon. She passed away in her sleep.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #25

:rofl::rofl:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

Before adding the motor, I struggled to get to 20mph. I could maintain 15-20 only by riding laps on the paved 1/4 mile track at one of the local high schools. I could only do it for a couple miles, though (8-10 laps). With the motor the fastest I’ve ridden so far is 35mph. On a long straight away I can maintain that but it’s a bit scary. The bike/motor has the potential to go faster, but 35 is as fast as I want to go. I plan to build a second bike with suspension. I can cruise at 30mph. For instance on that same school oval I ride 30mph laps steadily for half an hour (15 miles). I get a lot more use out of the bike nowadays because it’s just much more fun to ride. I don’t ‘ride the motor’ I have to peddle to get and maintain speed. The motor makes getting the speed and maintaining it easier. So I ride longer and farther.

(Davy) #27

Looks like something Evel Knievel would ride. :sunglasses:

(Polly) #28

Except maybe even one class member won’t fit in a telephone booth alone, unless they build them on a bigger foot print in Kentucky than they do in UK.

(Polly) #29

Cool bike @amwassil. I occasionally see reclining bikes on the roads here, but the question which always occurs to me is are you more vulnerable to the dangers of riding In traffic because you are lower down and less visible?

I had to give up riding my bike because of an arthritic hip and from time to time consider a reclining bike.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #30

Not at all. Not shown in the photo are my twin flags that mount behind the seat. Because I’m something unusual I think drivers notice me more than other bikes not less. I’ve also got an Airzound to get their attention if they don’t.

(Windmill Tilter) #31

I actually started adding potassium back into my daily keto-ade recently. I took it out for a while this past fall because I haven’t had potassium levels checked in a while, but I decided to add it back in just since I’m not getting much elsewhere. I don’t really notice a difference with fasting or otherwise. That’s my n=1

Awesome bike! I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a 4 stroke gas engine to a off-the-rack bike just for the fun of it. My boys (ages 5 & 7) would get a huge kick out of that project; they both love turning wrenches and getting greasy. I’m teaching them to code in Python, so I think it’s important to balance that out with real world dexterity and reasoning. Besides, it’s character building…

(Susan) #32

All I can add it that too much is better than not enough. Our kidneys are great at getting rid of too much, but we can’t make it. Of course that refers to minerals, not glucose! I know we get a fair amount in our diet, esp. leafy greens, but it’s hard to know how much. We can survive on 1/4 of our kidney power. Even if you’ve donated one, you still have more kidney power than you need. Don’t go overboard, but even 1.5 times the recommended amount shouldn’t be something to worry about.

OK, I looked it up on the acronym wiki, but couldn’t find it. What does KOTWF stand for?

(KCKO, KCFO) #33

@Brenda has addressed this issue over in the fasting threads. I have found the info in this to be helpful. I have potassium citrate in powdered form to add to my ketoeaid mixtures.
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-HealthProfessional/

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #34

Just a guess:
Keto On Tuesday Wednesday Friday (Party Time Other Days)

(Davy) #35

There was an old Walt Disney movie back in about 1955, about Davy Crockett - and their theme song was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcRQedoEyY

(KCKO, KCFO) #36

Too funny. We actually met Fess Parker when we visited his winery a few years before he passed away. The wines were very good. We bought a coonskin wine bottle top cover, it was so cute. I remember my coonskin hat from when I was a little girl. It was also theme song of the DC tv show.