How much of what to eat

(Kasey Ripley) #1

Hi. I have been trying to get a rough “eat this many servings of this and this many servings of that” roughly per day. I am a single mother with a farm to run and my oldest son is high functioning autistic. I don’t have the time to sit and figure out how many grams of what are in what, but I really want to get my family on a keto diet. Not only do I think it will be good for all of us, (I have hormone issues and have always been overweight), but I grow literally everything this diet calls for. I have rabbits, chickens, goats, and raise a meat cow for the family every year. I have 18 vegetable beds and three herb gardens. So without worrying about breads or starches, the only thing I would have to buy at the store anymore is coffee, some spices, and salt. I just need a basic “you’ll want one 3 oz serving of meat per meal, 2 half cups of veggies, and x many tbsp of fat.” And maybe a link to something that’ll give me the calorie counts of most foods? I can count calories while I’m preparing a meal, but I need something a little quicker than what I’m finding and I know what my kids will eat and not eat, and most of the “meal plan” things I can find have a whole bunch of crazy recipes that I don’t have time to figure or and know my kids won’t even touch by looking at them.

Thank.
Kasey

THis is not a question anyone here can answer, especially without knowing your details. What I CAN tell you is that you’re set up for success! You have everything there you need to be on the keto diet, and I was green with envy reading your post :slight_smile:
I do not count, weigh or measure anything other than ketones, and even those aren’t mandatory. I am always in some degree of ketosis because I eat to satiety those things you describe. Most people here count macros, but I’m not one of them and the diet is working great for me.
If you make butter, that’s super. But if you don’t , you might want to add that the grocery list, along with some other healthy fats like olive , avocado and coconut oils, as well as some avocados if you like them.
3 oz of protein at a meal is a great place to start. See how you feel. Green veggies are fine in one cup servings and fat should be liberal. I would be measuring mine in CUPS, not tablespoons, and I’m a small person :slight_smile: It’s key

(Kasey Ripley) #3

Thank you. I’m having such a hard time getting adjusted to this. I loved baking. Not only the fun yummy that resulted, but it was something my son and I would do together.

The farm is a lot of hard work, but it’s so rewarding. I honestly haven’t tried avacado in anything more than the occasional smoothie. The hardest time I’m having is fruit. We ate a lot of it, and the keto diet keeps it heavily restricted. My apple trees and cherry trees seem a little redundant now, along well the grape Vines and blueberry bushes.