How much carbs in celery juice?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food Composition Database

(less is more, more or less) #22

Sigh; the Westman acolyte weighs in, (hello!) and I remove my admin hat for this special announcement:

Count ALL carbs, even the friendly and pleasant-to-look-at carbs. No exceptions.

Of course, I respect you net-ers, and your success with net counting, but I see this confusion so commonly, particularly with neophytes. I can appreciate why Dr. Westman makes this non-negotiable with his easy-to-follow low-carb method.

Q.E.D.

We are from the same choir. He has seen and helped thousands of patients, including myself.

(Allie) #23

Just eat non starchy veg. Celery is vile.

(Todd Allen) #24

Here is a good app for tracking micronutrients. Note, there can be many entries for a given food and they can have widely varying degrees of completeness and accuracy. In general the top matches for a search tend to be the best.
https://cronometer.com/

Well, I for one, absolutely love celery, especially the leaves and the tender inner parts. I have heard of “celery juice” recently, and suspect is a new trend or fad. A little searching reveals that a “medium” stalk of celery contains 0.6 absorbable carbohydrate. Given there is so much water in celery, I wouldn’t expect a glass of juice to contain a lot of carbs.

If someone is, like most of us, restricting carb intake for health benefits and weight loss, I’d probably just eat celery along with other low starch vegetables. If someone is seeking other health benefits specifically claimed by consuming celery juice, then I’d say go ahead.

I think the bad rap juicing gets doesn’t apply much to celery, but more to high sugar vegetables like carrots or beets, apples, citrus etcetera. Just my opinion.

(Todd Allen) #26

Celery has interesting aspects. It is high in apigenin. In addition to the many properties listed in the wikipedia page apigenin is an inhibitor of CD38.

Celery is also good for scooping up cream cheese, sour cream, almond butter and other fatty dips.

(Todd Batitis) #27

Are you doing this because you HAVE gut issues that are specifically known to you or …? There are also tests that can be done to check what your gut microbiome makeup is rather than simply guessing that what you need to fix it is celery juice.

Celery is not a magic food regardless of whether it is juiced or not. It does have some good components to it and may indeed have anti-inflammatory properties which is good all the way around. I am all about reducing systemic inflammation in the body but to think that simply juicing celery is going to fix an issue that you may or may not have… is far-fetched IMHO.

From what I have read of this and of Anthony Williams, he is just the latest peddler of Woo. The guy has no medical training but what does a real medical doctor say?

“Research to support any health benefit of celery juice to humans is basically non-existent, despite what a number of blogs and woo-filled websites have to say,” Ali Webster, Ph.D, R.D, and Associate Director of Nutrition Communications at the International Food Information Council Foundation , explains to *MensHealth.com."

That isn’t to say that celery doesn’t have anything beneficial in it. It does but it isn’t magic anymore than when I was doing LCHP and eating hard boiled eggs a lot at work and one of the gals said, “I should start eating more hard boiled eggs. My cousin ate a lot of eggs and lost a bunch of weight too!” as if the eggs were the secret. I mean, it isn’t like the fact I went from sedentary, 800-1000 carbs and up to 15,000 calories per day to 85g carbs, 1500-2000 calories and walking 2-4 miles each day had anything to do with the weight loss. I told her that she could eat all the eggs she wanted and nothing was going to change as long as she kept eating those big bowls of rice and pasta she brought in everyday to eat with her box of cookies that never seems to go empty.

Oh, and when you get endorsements on things like this from people like Gwenyth Paltrow you should automatically be suspicious.

I don’t mean to be rough about it but this falls in the same woo as so many others.

(Cindy) #28

My impression (and I should have asked this when I saw him at the Adapt conference) is that his food list makes it so you don’t even have to count carbs. As in, if you only eat the foods he lists and in the quantities he lists, you won’t go over 20 g carbs/day. The only carbs are in the up to 2 cups leafy greens, up to 1 cup of non-starchy veg, 1/2 avocado and then small amounts in the cheese, olives, etc.

So his list is great for those just starting out or for those who really like a plan to follow, but I think the <20 carbs/day allows for more experimenting and flexibility.

(Allie) #29

Celery is something I have never been able to stomach, it honestly repulses me.

(Todd Batitis) #30

LOL, I have never had a problem with celery and used to eat it with just salt or maybe as a vessel for peanut butter or chocolate frosting :slight_smile: I never cared for the tops but eat them all now. And like @MyUsername I LOVE the short, tender,yellow centers of the heads.

(Running from stupidity) #31

Preach it, sister!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #32

My main uses for celery are when eating Buffalo Wings as a vehicle for Blue Cheese, and for cooking as in mirapoix, the trinity in Cajun/Creole cooking and in soups. Also good in shreds or horseshoes for some stir fry.

I think eating keto will heal your gut without drinking juice. Why cut out the fiber? Consider eating fermented vegetables like sauerkraut, Kim Chee, and other probiotic rich foods for gut healing.