How many here are former vegans or former vegetarians?

(Bob M) #101

I’m reading this now:

It’s an interesting story from someone who is aligned with Savory. Animals and proper coverage, among other things, replenish the soil.

(Bob M) #102

You mean physical appearances or “I have to do this because everyone else is” appearances?

Of course and it’s only one - but quite important - example. Until the food arrives to us, there are lots of animal deaths, it can’t be avoided. And it’s not about just food items. We can’t live in a way that doesn’t harm animals. I totally think we should try to cause less harm and we shouldn’t torture either (not even trees, by the way, if possible) but it’s not nearly as black and white as many ignorant vegans and probably vegetarians like to think.
And I was a vegetarian, not a vegan so my way of eating was based on animal deaths anyway. Eggs, milk? The unnecessary masses of male animals must go. No matter how wonderful (or probably not) life the hens and cows have but most vegetarian doesn’t care about that anyway.

The latter, mostly.

(Jane) #105

Quite true. As much as I am looking forward to having my own herd of dairy goats when I retire it means I must slaughter the males that are born. I am not looking forward to that aspect even though it will mean meat for the freezer.

(Wendy) #106

If when you get your Goats. Please let me know if you decide to make “goats milk soap” I get it from amazon and it comes from Australia. It is great! For sensitive skin. And cleans super good!!

(Jane Srygley) #107

Yikes! See if you can find a place that will slaughter them humanely for you. Goats make great pets too so maybe you can give or sell some as pets…?

(Jane) #108

Yes, but at some point I will have to cull. I can keep one or two that have been castrated at birth to keep the buck company but can’t keep all of them.
I don’t know of a butcher around here so will probably have to learn to do it myself. Keeping livestock is not for the tender hearted.

(Mame) #109

also cultivating and harvesting (especially grains) kills many rabbits and other small mammals.

Anyone who eats any kind of processed food or grains or legumes or soy… is kidding themselves if they think animals aren’t dying for their diet. They are.

(Jane Srygley) #110

Wow well good luck! I could definitely not do that :heart: