How many carbs

(Sherralyn Holmes) #1

Good afternoon, Im hoping to lose a couple of inches by end of February.
How do you work out how many carbs you need?
Also I use half spoon sugar, can you recommend another option that doesn’t leave an aftertaste in tea?
Oh am I allowed tea?
Oh my, help me please im feeling a little overwhelmed.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Hi Sherralyn, welcome. While many experience weight loss on a ketogenic diet, many don’t have the miraculous results often touted on social media and the internet. Your body may choose to heal itself in a number of ways before you see scale losses or inches gone. You will probably see water weight decreased in the first week, though.

Check this out:

Tea is allowed, I don’t put anything into it as it’s normal if one drinks some good tea, usually.
Actually, anything is allowed, the only rule is low enough carbs and everyone has their own rule sets. I am sure most people eat added sugar on keto, usually in processed stuff. I don’t as I have a no added sugar policy since ages, it’s way older in my life than keto. Added sugar is super easy to avoid as I found out but many people thinks differently as it’s in “everything”. Well, I just forget about that everything, still so much food to eat.

There are various sweeteners but not a single one that everyone find okay, they may interfere, have a bad taste, it vary. I use erythritol and xylitol if any but even I consider it best if one just doesn’t sweeten things, or just with naturally sweet things like some berries or coconut or heavy cream. But in the beginning sweeteners may help. Or mess up things. It’s individual, just like sweeteners.

I always try to eat as little carbs as comfortably possible as carbs cause problems for me and it’s better to go lower unless it stresses me out, mental health is important too. It’s individual, some people need 50g, some people 5g… 20g net carbs is a pretty safe number for ketosis, that’s why it’s so popular but you will see if it’s enough. Maybe you will choose to go lower or higher later. It’s not the same for everyone, obviously.

(bulkbiker) #4

Well you “need” zero so start aiming for there and see what happens? you’re highly unlikely to achieve zero but close to would be a good start.

(Bunny) #5

I don’t think a couple tea spoons of sugar in your tea will harm your ketogenic diet. Once maybe twice a day?

I usually use natural date sugar or unsulfured molasses that is less refined has all its natural vitamins and minerals intact and even better is Monk fruit.

I stay away from the highly processed/refined sugars or artificial sweeteners.

I do not use sugar very much but when I do, those are my preferred choices for deeply scientific reasons.

Footnotes:

[1] “…Date sugar should not to be confused with date palm sugar or also called palm sugar as this is made from the sap of the sugar palm tree, including date trees. Date sugar is made from the date palm, plant, date sugar is a less refined sugar than typical white sugar. …” …More

[2] Unsulphured vs. Sulphured Molasses: What’s the Difference?

[3]

image link

(Bob M) #6

You need no carbs. You can eat low amounts if you want, by you don’t need them.