How many carbs in eggs - yolk vs white?

I am working out the carb stats for an egg custard I have made and am trying to figure out how many carbs there are in yolk only as that is all I have used. I am getting different results depending where I look, including one site that told me there were more carbs in egg yolk than a whole egg! FFS!

Anyone got any reliable info? My eggs weigh in at 70g each. I am not sure what size that falls into. Judging by their size compared to others on sale, I would say large?

(I like to post memes!) #2

@Daisy, this thread may help.

Thanks. They seem to have come across the same problem I did. Should have found this in a search.

(bulkbiker) #5

Hardly any…
“Eggs contain some protein and some lipids, or fats, but they do not contain a significant amount of carbohydrate. The white of an egg contains most of the protein, while the yolk contains the lipid. When eggs are classified as either a protein, carbohydrate or fat, they are usually categorized as a protein.”
I think its about 0.6g per egg but I can’t find a split between white and yolks.

yeah, info seems very varied. I have gone for 0.5g per egg yolk in working out stats for my semifreddos.

(Tony Battelle) #7

So, just as a rule of thumb, animal products do NOT contain a significant amount of carbs, they are mostly protein and some fat. Also, as a rule of thumb all plant products are carbs. Yes, some also contain significant amounts of fat, like avocados, or even protein like beans, but they are ALL carbs. What I call “slow carbs” that is to say, that there is enough fiber in most plant products, to slow down the absorption of the carbohydrate sugars into the bloodstream, so as not to spike your blood sugar, and therefor insulin levels. To be avoided however, are starchy plant carbs like potatoes.

(Lonnie Hedley) #8

So what you’re saying is eggs contain about 0.5 g of carbs and if you’re counting total, 10 eggs a day would be about 5 carbs? Thanks.

(Tony Battelle) #9

Well, if you are eating 10 eggs a day, then don’t worry about the carbs, you are eating too much protein!

(bulkbiker) #10

Huh? why?

(Lonnie Hedley) #11

Oh yeah? So at 2000 (give or take) daily kcals, and a macro ratio of 78% fat, 20% protein, and 2% carbs I’m eating too much protein?

(Tony Battelle) #12

Exactly, so why worry about the carbs in eggs? Personally, I hate counting, It seems obsessive and I really can’t find the time. I check my blood sugar, blood pressure, and ketones in the morning, and my blood sugar again at night. No, I’m not diabetic, but I have a very slight insulin resistance I am working on. I do intermittent fasting 4 days a week. Bulletproof coffee in the morning. no lunch and then dinner around 6 or 7.
I usually have some protein no larger than my fist, and I’ll have a salad with some oil and vinegar. Maybe some cheese on top.So, to me, to see folks obsessing over carb counting. well, I guess if you’ve got the patience for it. Nobody carb counted or even calorie counted before the food industry started stuffing us with grain. So, for me. I just east sensibly, stay fat adapted by limiting fast carbs, intermittent fasting, and light exercise daily to empty my carb tank (glycogen stores).
So, I’m sorry if I offended you. Was not my intent.

(Lonnie Hedley) #13

Lots of “for me” mentions in your post. What works for you may not work for others. I find testing blood more tedious than tracking.

I’m working on total health and find tracking, and sometimes testing worth while. I’m not and never have been diabetic. I’ve never been overweight, and weigh less than I did in high school. Not a fan of blanket statements so I called you on your “don’t count carbs in eggs” comments. Some people are trying to be strict, so it might work for them. There were several posts about the number of carbs in eggs, then you came along with conflicting information. Think if you were a newbie. It’s not helpful and only adds to their confusion.

Welcome to the forums!

(Bob M) #14

No one is concerned about high Omega 6 PUFA content?

(Todd Allen) #15

I agree. Eggs, meat and especially liver all have trace carbs but people eating all of those still call their diet “zero carb”. Technically in error, but right in spirit. I imagine the carb count in many foods such as nuts and berries varies quite a bit from the standardized values. And few carefully weigh every ingredient. Counting carbs down to the gram isn’t easy.

(Bob M) #16

Or accurate, even if you carefully weigh every ingredient.

Some “zero carb” people call it something else, like carnivory, as it’s not really zero carb.