How long does it take for blood sugar numbers to go down under 100 after starting a strict keto diet ( Type 2 diabetics only)

(Cushite Rockerfeller) #1

Ok, so I just started the Keto diet 6 days ago, I am type 2 diabetic. When I first started the keto diet, my blood sugar was like 350. I’m on my 6th day now of strict keto and my blood sugar after a meal has been between 220 and 225 (2 hours after) and in the morning it is between 200 and 210. Definitely much better than being in the 300s but the thing is that I’ve been doing STRICT keto, I am consuming way less than 20gs of carbs per day … so my carbs are minimal. I was expecting my blood sugar to be under 100 by now (6th day).

I remember a few months ago, back in 2020… I had started Keto and by the 4th or 5th day, I was already under 100 on a strict keto diet, I gave up by the 6th day though… It was tough to last on it, but now with my sausages and eggs, I actually like what I eat.

I am wondering why I am still in the 200s while not consuming carbs at all … Is that normal ??

For Type 2s, how long did it take your blood sugar numbers to go under 100 while following a strict keto diet ? Please let me know if this is normal to still be over 200 on the 6th day of a strict ketogenic diet

What I eat are scrambled eggs, meat balls and sausages. In the morning I’ll have only one avocado which still keeps me under 20gs

If this is normal, when should I start seeing my numbers go under 100 while continuing to follow a strict keto diet. I am about to complete day 6 of strict Keto.

I have seen a lot of my friends reversing type 2 diabetes completely with keto … I wanna be done with this once and for all.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions, your glucose level will vary over the day. After meals it is supposed to rise somewhat., which is why when doctors order blood tests, it is the fasting glucose level they want to know. I would say that you should see further improvement over time, if you stick to a ketogenic diet, but it is hard to predict when your serum glucose will drop under 100.

The Australian physician Paul Mason stated in a recent interview, that he is not so concerned with the absolute level of serum glucose, but rather with keeping it in a fairly narrow range.

For the absolute fastest improvement, you could try eliminating your carbohydrate intake altogether, eating only meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy. Be warned, however, that such a diet can result in temporarily feeling worse, so prepared to give the experiment at least a couple of months before giving up on it. I would actually advise the same with your ketogenic diet. Why not give it another couple of months? Six days is not very long in the grand scheme of things. Give your body a chance to heal and get its hormones back in order before giving up on this way of eating.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

The good news is a ketogenic diet stops the slow-mo train wreck.

The not so good news is it takes time to repair the damage. Keto is not magic. It’s a process of metabolic normalization. Depending on what exactly and how extensive the damage to be fixed it takes time. Be patient. Don’t get confused. You’re either in ketosis or you’re not. Keep your carbs sub-20 grams per day, the lower the better. The more consistently you do so the faster you will recover. Best wishes.

(Butter Withaspoon) #4

That’s a huge change in only 6 days, well done! With results like that you should keep going I think! I don’t know how long it will take but I’ve noticed that it’s often much longer than the time it would theoretically take to use up the sugar in the blood, liver and muscles. The slower changes are hormonal, and a change in your metabolic machinery towards lower insulin, lower blood sugars and burning fat. This all takes time, sometimes lots of time. Yes it’s strange that it’s slower than last time but maybe your sugars were higher this time, or maybe you’re not sleeping well, or who knows what other factors.

You could check for carbs in the sausages and meatballs - here sausages are 20% rice flour! Cuts of meat with bone and fat and connective tissue work well if you like them

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #5

Like Hellen says…
Check the ingredients of your sausages…

Like Michael says, don’t expect a few days, or even a few months to change years of unhealthy eating…

Also, don’t chase the numbers. Settle into a healthy way of eating and the numbers will fall into place.

(Jane) #6

You DO know that unless you maintain a ketogenic lifestyle your diabetes will come back, right?

Doesn’t mean you have to be STRICT as you mentioned several times but you can’t go back to eating bread, pasta and rice at every meal either.

Stay in ketosis for 6 months (not 6 days) and you will see results. This means no cheating or if a social situation comes up you can’t avoid go right back to “strict” the next day. The cravings for carbs should be much less and it becomes easier with time as your body adjusts and heals.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Your body has been out of balance for years, it might not get a total correction in just a few days, but you are making great progress. Give yourself some healing time. Concentrate on all the good things you get to eat now rather than the carby stuff that you won’t be eating going forwards.

My husband keeps his t2d under control with low carb ( he eats more than 20 grams every day but doesn’t go over 100g) walking about 1.5 hrs. after each meal, he does yoga when he can’t walk. It is keeping him and his dr. happy with the results.

All the best to you going forwards.

(Bob M) #8

350 to 100 is asking a lot. It’s possible, but will take time. Maybe a long time?

Also, although there are negatives to fasting (too much too quickly might not be good), intermittent fasting (less than 24 hours, say by skipping either breakfast or dinner), and longer-term fasting (24+ hours) can help too. While keto comes close, there’s nothing like fasting to reduce insulin and blood sugar.

I think what’s happening is a reduction in fatty liver and fatty pancreas, mainly. Though there are hormonal effects, too.

(Jane) #9

My 87-yo Dad keeps his T2D under control eating less than 100 g carbs per day. Most days he is well under that.

(Bob M) #10

Also, walking (or other exercise) after a meal supposedly lowers blood sugar quite a bit. Wish I still had a CGM, as that would be a fun one to test.

I have been doing STRICT keto for 15 months. I am not T2D. My fasting blood sugar was 110 this morning. It is generally 102-117. I did 30 minutes of moderate intensity elliptical machine and then it was at 84. It seems moderate exercise can “burn it off” but I find high intensity exercise (lifting weights in my case) can actually make blood sugar go up.

Dawn phenomenon and adaptive glucose sparing are real in my experience. In any case, after 6 days you are asking a lot.

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

My husband is usually in the 40- 50 g. range, but does go higher or lower some days

He walks for 20-30 mins. about an hr and a half after his meals. When I re read my post from earlier, I didn’t think I stated that very clearly.

Hurray for your dad, sounds like he is doing well.

Had a good answer but no longer being a T2D dq’s me I guess… Good Luck!

(UsedToBeT2D) #14

My journey from average above 200 mg/dL to average 100-110 mg/dL took about a year. Mind you, I was on Metformin and 1/day insulin injection at the beginning, and 6 months in stopped all medications.
Not bad, considering that I started the Metformin 25 years ago, and was on insulin for more than the last year.

(Bob M) #15

Impressive!

It’s this type of anecdote that makes me wonder why keto isn’t an option for treating diabetes. I see that some places have started to offer this as an option…but not many.

(Scott) #16

When I see meatballs I think breading, when I see breading I think carbs. Check the meatball ingredients and carb count.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

My guess would be that it cuts into the bonuses of pharmaceutical executives. And if you have to then forgo buying that tenth vacation house, how will you be able to hold your head up among your peers?

(Jane) #18

LOL.

Also, most people would rather take a pill or shot than cut out sugar and carbs from their diet. Even if it means just getting sicker and sicker in spite of the medication. It’s a slow enough decline that most people can stay in denial.

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

This is all too true.