How long can you fast without harm?

(Raj Seth) #41

Use the Fasting Force! It has changed my life as well!
Keep the updates coming. Good going - Fasting is the fastest :grinning: way to fix you!

What awesome progress. 35 days, you are doing great! My longest was 23 I could have gone longer but wanted to eat a holiday meal with the family. Iā€™m currentlyon day 9 of an open ended fast to get the rest of my fat gone. Good luck to you you are doing great.

(Jerrett Scott) #43

Thank you all!!!

(Jerrett Scott) #44

Tuesday- made another week. Tonight at 11pm it will officially be 42 days straight. Still just black coffee, unsweetened tea, water, and now up to 4 teaspoons of chicken bouillon in the morning for salt/ potassium with my supplements and keto-aide.I upped my chicken bouillon because I felt I needed more salt and potassium. The keto-aide has helped alot too. The only numbers I get to ever show are my glucose. Which I check daily. They still vary. I have had as low as 57, and up to 95 in the last two weeks. My weight loss has slowed. I am down to 346 from 435, as of this morning. I want to go into one of the testing centers to have my blood checked. The tests seem to run about 50 dollars each. Which ones do you think would be useful? Has anyone done a dexa scan, I looked it up and there is a place within an hour of me offering them too. Are they worth the cost? Thanks again everyone!!!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #45

Do not get a lipid profile while doing an extended fast. It will likely be very high as your lipids are working overtime on energy transport.

A1C, glucoseā€¦ ketonesā€¦ I donā€™t see the point, really. Kidney function? Liver enzymes. CBC? I dunno, might be all wonky due to fasted state.

Iā€™m not a faster (been born, havenā€™t done it, but not dead yet, so who knows), but youā€™re pretty amazing for doing this.

(Trish) #46

I would opt for liver and definitely kidney functions. I think a BMP encompasses those. Basic metabolic panel.

(Diane) #47

Check to see if the BMP includes electrolytes.

(Doug) #48

Great job, Jerrett. Your blood sugar looks like itā€™s staying in a good range (57-95) and you seem to be feeling well. Be careful and keep paying attention to how you feel.

Totally agree. :slightly_smiling_face: The BMP should show your electrolyte levels (kidneys involved, bigtime, here) - very interesting to see what they are if nothing else. I think that lots of times liver function tests are not included in a BMP, so probably would have to be added. The enzymes - ALP, ALT, and AST, as well as albumin and bilirubin, possibly.

(Diane) #49

A CMP (comprehensive metabolic panel) would usually include the liver enzymes (ALT, AST), bilirubin and albumin.

(Todd Allen) #50

Iā€™ve been hesitant to offer ongoing congratulations despite being awed by your effort and progress. I expect you are doing yourself fabulous good with minimal harm but Iā€™m not 100% sure and would feel awful if this in any way goes bad.

Greatness often requires courage to take calculated though uncertain risks. It looks like you have managed your risk sufficiently well. As for the blood testing, if you had deep pockets it might have lowered your risk a little to do a complete blood count panel and comprehensive metabolic panel before starting the fast and every week or two during the fast to hopefully catch anything going awry. Any sort of testing to track body composition might also be of value. But at this point Iā€™d likely just continue monitoring your blood sugar, weight, tracking how you feel, perform, sleep, etc. and wait until you have stabilized in a non-fasting mode for a week or two before testing to establish a baseline for your current metabolic health. A lipid panel could also be useful, though during a fast I wouldnā€™t bother as the results can be whacked out in a deeply fasted state.

(Todd Allen) #51

I forgot to add in my previous reply that I think the worth of any of the testing depends much on your financial state. If paying for the tests entails any sort of sacrifice such as cutting back on the quality of your food or working longer hours than no, none of the tests are likely worth it. But if your finances exceed your needs and you contemplate things like more channels of cable service or options packages when buying a car I think all of these tests provide more value than racing stripes and flashy rims.

(Sondra Rose) #52

Iā€™m surprised no one shared this yet.

This guy did it for over a year under medical supervision:

(icky) #53

Congratulations!

I have done lots of extended fasts for health reasons, tho my longest so far was 25 days. I couldā€™ve continued easily tho.

So far, on every fast, my body has clearly told me when itā€™s time to stop.

Not via pain or anything dramatic, just a polite but firm ā€œThank you, Iā€™m done for nowā€

This signal would be easy to miss if someone is being dogmatic or has goals they are clinging to ā€œtoo tightlyā€. But I donā€™t hear that in what youā€™ve been writing, so I assume when your body says ā€œThatā€™s enough, Jerrett, weā€™ll do more next timeā€ youā€™ll be able to hear it.

Iā€™ve been part of a big fasting community for 10 years and have never heard of ppl harming themselves with extended fasts of 30 or 60 days. Provided they listen to their bodyā€™s cues, of course.

When you do break your fast eventually, do so in tiiiiny steps. Your digestive tract will barely remember what itā€™s like to digest food at first - you may feel totally ā€œfullā€ after a single mouthful. Make sure you start with something very gentle to digest - no heavy food, no meat. Your digestion needs to start up again slowly.

Make sure you take the post-fasting phase just as seriously as the fasting phase. Fasting feels so great, itā€™s easy to just keep going. The harder bit is eating right, after the fast! :wink:

You might want to look at forums designed specifically for extended fasts (30 days, 60 days, or more) to get specific advice. People who regularly do long fasts like that know the ins and outs and know what to watch out for and what helps.

Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

(Sondra Rose) #54

Actually meat is the easiest food to digest. I always break my fasts with small meat meals or eggs.

Todd Todd Toddā€¦ You been reading my mail again???

HA!

A bunch of people seem to write EXACTLY my thoughts on this here Phatt Phorum.

Aaaaaaand you did it here too: :I forgot to add in my previous reply that I think the worth of any of the testing depends much on your financial state. If paying for the tests entails any sort of sacrifice such as cutting back on the quality of your food or working longer hours than no, none of the tests are likely worth it. But if your finances exceed your needs and you contemplate things like more channels of cable service or options packages when buying a car I think all of these tests provide more value than racing stripes and flashy rims."

But to repeat your words ToddMeister, I am in awe also.

(Jerrett Scott) #56

Well, its not Tuesday, but itā€™s my birthday and I received a great gift. I am 100 pounds down today. I have a long way to go, but thatā€™s a good round number. Feeling great still. Making sure my electrolytes are good. Drinking plenty of water. Still just water, tea, coffee. No sweetner of any kind. I stopped the chicken bouillon. Decieded to just take the ketoaide, because it says less than one carb per serving on the container, but I donā€™t want any if they are unnecessary. I am diligent with my vitamins. I am taking a multi, E , D, potassium, magnesium, b complex, and , C. Today at 11pm will be day 48.

(Trish) #57

How much of the 100 pounds lost is from the 48 day fast?

(Jerrett Scott) #58

About 70

(Jerrett Scott) #59

(Jerrett Scott) #60