How high should my ketone level be during first few months?

Hi, I’m new here. Been doing keto for a month and according to the urine sticks, have maintained the small to moderate range but never large. (More typically small). I’ve lost about 5 pounds, less than I’d hoped and mostly in first two weeks. My fibromyalgia is much improved but have moments of extreme exhaustion. Should I be aiming for a deeper ketosis to more fully reap the benefits of this diet? Thanks in advance!

(Allie) #2

There’s no rule. Just focus on how you feel and if you feel good, keep going as you are.

(mole person) #3

For myself and many others, autoimmune and neurodegenerative conditions are helped the most at high blood ketone levels. If you check out the thread on the “Paleolithic Ketogenic diet” you will see that everyone there is achieving relief of their symptoms but it’s through a diet that very strictly targets low blood glucose and very high blood ketones.

I do want to see how I feel with higher ketones. My pain is much improved but not gone with low level. Also, I want to lose 15 pounds but am not getting anywhere lately. Thanks for the tips!

Could you direct me where to find that paleo thread? I’m not seeing it in the categories. Thanks again.

(mole person) #6

It’s called the Paleo-ketogenic diet as developed by thr Paleo-Medicina clinic in Hungary. Its designed for healing with a high state of ketosis but is extremely strict and not everyone will be interested. For one thing its zero carb and super high in animal fats. But it works. As you’ll see on that thread everyone who is actually doing it is having such great success that they find the dietary restrictions completely worth it.

If you don’t want to go zero carb however I think it can be tailored to include some plants and yet still be much more ketogenic then a standard fare ketogenic diet. I’m actually working with a woman on another thread who was stalled out on her last five pounds. She began losing weight again within 48 hours. Deeper ketosis is a very powerful weight loss tool especially when you are fighting the last few pounds.

(Pete A) #7

I’m Keto 2.5 years. The first 6 months I measured on Keto strips regularly and mostly was trace to middle range, until at one point I was eating 80% fat and did register higher.

That said, your Keto strip results are not the bible. Different measurements different time of day etc. If you are losing and staying within basic guidelines i.e. high fat, low carbs you will find success.

CONGRATS on your progress!

(mole person) #8

This is actually the fat macro I target. It keeps me slim and I feel my absolute best there.

(Paulene ) #9

My understanding is that the degree of ketosis doesn’t really matter for weight loss - deeper ketosis does not necessarily translate to more weight loss. So you just have to be in ‘nutritional ketosis’ zone which is about .3-.4 mmol. Ketosis is just the indicate that you are burning fat instead of sugar. You will also find that after a few weeks you will naturally not register as dark on a pee stick. This is because the type of ketones your body produces changes and are no longer (accurately) detected by the pee sticks.

So in the end calories do seem to count. Fortunately, I have greatly diminished hunger being keto so it’s not so hard to keep my calories below 1500. That’s where I think I start to lose weight.

(Pete A) #11

I generally know I’m in ketosis when my cravings are gone, and I make smarter choices as a result. I am generally a CICO guy and directly lose fat with calorie restriction (among other things).

I would be concerned with testing ketones if I was doing everything I believed was right and had ongoing cravings for more, or other foods, or didn’t lose. But I dont.