How do you kick the sweetener habit?

(Jane Srygley) #1

Some lovely person on here sent me down the “sweeteners cause insulin spikes” rabbit hole and I’m very grateful (led me to Dr. Fung and my first fast, which I thought would be impossible, plus it gave me a lot of great insight into my real health issues)… but now I’m convinced that I need to give them up altogether and I’m really struggling. Anyone dealt with this who would be willing to share your tips and experience?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

You could try slowly reducing the amount you use, if you don’t want to go cold turkey

(George) #3

I found that going cold turkey worked best for me. Took a few weeks to really adjust, but it worked.

I gave up all sweeteners cold turkey day 1 of my Keto journey, if I have a little it definitely creates cravings for more so for me I had to go all in if I wanted to make it to fat adaptation :slightly_smiling_face:

(less is more, more or less) #5

I never have. I’m an outlier, but I’ve had zero problems with sweeteners. I treat them like any other total carb calculation, so I cannot have “all I want,” nor am I advocating that. I might have 1 - 3 packets a day.

Just be aware that not everyone trips on them.

(John) #6

I just stopped, cold turkey, when I started this. My motivation and willpower were high, so I ran off of that. It took a while to get to where I had fully lost the desire for sweet tasting things - maybe 8 weeks of total abstinence.

I don’t know for sure that it was required for me. Maybe I could have a diet Coke right now with no impact on anything. But why would I want to drink artificially colored, artificially flavored, and artificially sweetened soda water? I don’t need that stuff.

I don’t need anything that might make me want to eat solely for the pleasure of eating, and in the past a desire for sweet things (especially sweet baked things like cookies, donuts, pastries) was one of my downfalls in trying to lose weight.

So whether required for me or not, the sweetest thing I ever taste now is the occasional serving of berries.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

My answer is mixed. I was never a user of artificial sweeteners before keto. I drank a s__t ton of Coffeemate flavored creamer poured into a giant 8 serving batch of espresso in a filled to the top 20oz. travel cup every morning, sometimes another in the afternoon if I ran into a burn out. I did this for years, massive amounts of HFCS and soy oil and cornstarch everyday.

I never liked plain old sugar in coffee. I did drink it for years with half and half and knew I liked that. Going keto I just cut it out and went with espresso and HWC. I love this and within a couple of days I was fine with the taste, just suffering keto flu from inadequate sodium and sugar withdrawal unknowingly. I never figured out the connection for a few days.

I do use some Erythritol and Allulose occasionally in relatively small amounts in savory cooking mostly, trying to expand and balance flavors. But I am far from a daily sweet fix now with keto.

A little baking around a celebration is fine with me. On occasion I will drink a diet soda if I am out eating which is very rare.

So flavors sweet are more of a treat and not a daily part of my diet. For others it can begin a cycle of sweet cravings, we’re all different.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Carl Keller) #8

I believe that, like sugar, there’s an addictive nature to artificial sweeteners and that beating them might take more time for some people than others. I would suggest you try to make improvements every day if you find it difficult to quit all at once.

I didn’t quit 100% but I got it down to once per day, adding stevia in my morning coffee. What began as a teaspoon in 2-12 oz coffees per day was gradually reduced to my current 1/4 teaspoon over 2-12 oz coffees. I look it at like I’m not trying to make my coffee sweet, I’m trying to take the edge off the bitterness.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

The Bob Newhart solution:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

“Embrace the bitterness!” :woozy_face:

New mantra for people needing to change!

:cowboy_hat_face:

I’ll chime in on the stopping cold turkey from Day 1 option. I’ve never been fond of artificial foods and, other than those found in a Nunn tablet or the odd food rarely ate artificial sweetners before keto. Sugar - absolutely ate lots - but not so much the fake stuff. I just cut it all out at the beginning and next week will be 8 weeks without it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

Try this. :relieved:

(Carl Keller) #13

One of these days I will try to roast and grind my own beans but I’m not at the point yet. I do drink a light roast (Kona lately) and it is much smoother than the majority of cofffees I’ve tried. I used to drink Dunkin Donuts’ blend but I got tired of it after years and years. If anyone knows of any other blends that are smooth and not so earthy, I’m game to give it a try.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #14

Cold turkey!! :muscle:

(Jane Srygley) #15

I know a lot of people use them and feel like they aren’t a problem. I feel like they are for me and know others are in the same boat, but we all have to make those choices individually.

(Susan) #16

The only thing I use sweeteners in is my Fat Bombs (powdered xylitol but not a lot, just a bit) and if I chew any Pur gum. I have it here, but I end up giving it to my kids when they ask if I have gum more then chewing it myself… I do have Fat Bombs I can make with none, just they are more tart if I don’t add it is all.

The peanut butter-chocolate ones I make with no sweeteners.

I have never really liked coffee, (if I do drink any, I drink it black) and I always drink green tea or my herbal teas plain, nothing added, even pre-Keto.

(Polly) #17

Sounds counterintuitive I know, but adding salt to coffee takes out the bitterness.

I am still working on it. I will let you know when I get there. :laughing:

But honestly, I’m not making a great effort at this point (other than avoiding artificial sweeteners). I don’t get sweets cravings after eating erythritol, stevia or allulose, but recently bought a keto mojo anyway to test these and other foods’ affects on my BG. I will be interested to see the results.

(less is more, more or less) #19

And I fully support your efforts.

When you mentioned that someone passed this idea to you as a suggestion, I merely wish to offer a rarely-offered counter-point.

(JJ) #20

I am at a similar point to you and made a decision to give up the sweeteners in the last week. Wewll done Aunt Jane. Although I am super early in on my own journey, I think you will thank yourself for this choice at some future point. Big decision, but you got this!

For me, I had gone cold turkey on them when I first went keto nearly 7 months ago, but the last little while I became complacent and they snuck in (well, no sneaking involved I had to consciously mail order every keto ‘sweet’ I had in my house :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) to my consumption. I thought they were not a problem but they were making me so so hungry and not only hungry generally, but specifically screaming out for more sweet things over actually eating a proper whole food meal. So they are out. LIterally in the bin.
So for me, cold turkey in any food related endeavor is the only way. I have no ‘off switch’ for sweet. I can’t do it in moderation.

I applaud you for making this choice and exploring what effect the sweeteners may be having on your body, it won;t be easy, but you can do this. I hope you discover which method of quitting works for you. I am here for you, as others have been here for me.