How do you guys get your salt in?

newbies

(Chris) #1

I ask alot of questions Haha I’m a curious person andove science. Also I. A skeptic so I usually need alot I’d info before jum98nh in. Anyway I didnt listen to ppl saying 5g minimum of sodium and I’m trying to up it now. I have 2 large bottles of pink salt potassium and water. Approx 1 tsp salt 1/4 tsp potassium in each. That only gives me 2g. How do you guys get thr extra 3 g?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I eat pink salt crystals. They are like candy for me. Not everyone can do that. You can get sodium pills and just swallow it that way, Remember that salt is not all sodium.

I also get sodium from the foods I eat.

(Scott) #3

I am a heavy salter and usually about twice a morning I will go to the salt grinder and put about four twists into my palm and pop it in my mouth. I let it slowly dissolve and it helps with my desire to snack and since my snacks are, you guessed it, salty it allows me to forget about it.

(bulkbiker) #4

Add it to my coffee, tea and all food.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The healthy range of sodium intake is 4-6 grams/day. Outside that range, the risk of health consequences rises. The risk curve for normal people is what they call J-shaped; in other words, the risk rises steeply as consumption declines below 4g, and rises more slowly as dose increases above 6 g. For people with salt-sensitive hypertension, however, the risk curve is U-shaped, meaning that their risk rises equally on either side of the sweet spot. Either way, it’s best to stay in the sweet spot.

Since the sodium atom is 40% of the weight of a table salt molecule (NaCl), 4-6 g of sodium translates to 10-15 g of table salt a day. First, note that this includes salt already present in food. Second, we’re talking 2-3 U.S. teaspons of salt, since each teaspoon weighs 5 g.

It’s not all that hard to get in that much salt. I’m fortunate that I love the taste (always have), but a helpful way to get your salt in is to take a cup of salted bone broth twice a day. This not only gives you salt, but also potassium from the marrow. (And some magnesium, too, I believe.)

Again, for myself, I find that consumption outside the sweet spot has noticeable effects: too little gives me either migraine auras or constipation, too much has the opposite digestive effect.

(traci simpson) #6

I’m not a salt fan so I’m in the same boat. I put a few pinches under my tongue if I get hungry and try to salt my food but that’s it for me. EAT BACON!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I eat homemade sauerkraut and pickles, bacon, salt my food heavier than many people like and if I get a headache or cramps I wash down 3g. of Himalayan Pink Salt grinder sized crystals. :cowboy_hat_face:

I buy a high sodium picante sauce, and use it on dang near everything. Eggs, bacon, sausage. I use it on avocados and add it to guacamole. I drown a no-shell taco salad in the stuff (one of my go to’s) and when I added asparagus to the salad, didn’t mind the picante on that either. Truth be known, I buy tubs of cottage cheese, and add deli sliced jalapenos and picante to that too. I like spicy. Just putting a pinch of the pink salt under my tongue gags me and will give me the heaves.

(Carl Keller) #9

A few otherr ways to increase sodium, besides what’s been mentioned:

~a warm mug of salted bone broth.
~Adding hot sauce (watch for carby hot sauces) to food.

('Jackie P') #10

I know some people struggle with nuts, but I measure 30g of macadamia nuts or peanuts and sprinkle them with losalt, a mixture of sodium and potassium. I have always been a saltaholic, and often added salt to crisps and thongs!
My mum says that even as a kid, everyone’s dinner had gone cold before I had finished with the salt!!
I sometimes carry a little 100ml bottle with ACV, EVOO and a good salt and sip it during the day, or on a night shift, if I’m far from food ! It’s disgusting, but in a good way :rofl::rofl:

(Susan) #11

I eat 2 heaping teaspoons of Pink Himalyan salt a day, and when fasting, I do more.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #12

Some people disolve a teaspoon of salt in water and drink that twice a day. I tried and after af few days just couldn’t make myself do it anymore. So I measure out two teaspoons of salt in the larger crystals into a dish on my counter and every now and again take some like they are pills. I also be sure to salt my food when cooking, which I didn’t do much of pre-keto. It is easier to overdose on potassium than sodium, so I don’t supplement with lite salt, but I do sprinkle a little in the pan when I cook, as a portion of the salt.

I’ve yet to perfect the system, but this is what I’m doing at the moment.

(Shane) #13

I had my first (and only) migraine aura during a fast about 6 weeks ago. I thought it might have been from low BG (3.1) on day 3 of a fast. I upped my salt intake the day before because of bad cramps the night before that. I hadn’t given low salt a thought and I’m still not sure. I decided to stop the fast that arvo.
I was going to start another fast in the next couple of days, but someone came home with a fresh supply of bacon and beef mince for me.

Do you have any good references Paul? I’ve found a lot of conflicting info on the internet.

aura%20fasting

('Jackie P') #14

I just looked at this post after a like from @David_Stilley, and I saw a rather jolly typo! I won’t correct it!
I’ll give you a clue - Don’t call me crusty knickers :joy::joy:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #15

Salty thongs seem like they would be particularly irritating.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

Well, that’s certainly a unique way to get your salt in. :joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #17

I noticed it last night, Jacqueline, but I thought maybe it was the name for something else in England, hehe.

('Jackie P') #18

Haha! Yes in England we love to have a little salt in our drawers :joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl:!

(Troy) #19

Besides with food
I salt everything

Pink Salt large Crystals!!
Just a pinch here and there
Like a skoal bandit poach

I personally DO NOT mix with water or any other liquid
No way!
For me, mixing with water sends me :running_man:RUNNING by feet and just about RUNNING from the bottom
right to the porcelain visit🤢

(Susan) #20

I was thinking more for something else, like some of the words you use for things mean different things here, etc. I am pretty obsessed with English television shows though, so usually know most of it.

I have been watching Corrie for years! I love all the older English comedies, back in the day I taped a bunch from the BBC and now have tons and tons of VHS tapes of them --haha.