How do I know I’m in ketosis?

(Mike list) #1

I started on Jan 1st. How will I know I’m in Ketosis? I’ve kept my carbs under 20 grams and increased my fats.

(Rob) #2

This is covered a lot on the forum, but in brief when you’re starting out the cheapest and easiest testing method is to use urinalysis strips (Ketostix). I get mine from Amazon. They measure the amount of Ketones which are passed in your urine and give an indication of how much you are in Ketosis. As you progress you’ll get less Ketones in your urine, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re producing less, it may be that you’re just making better use of the ones that are produced as the fat cells break down.

After a few weeks or so, if you still feel the need to measure, then look at a blood glucose type of measuring device or a Ketonix breath measure, but these options start to get expensive.

I’m 3 months in and still get readings on the urinalysis strips, albeit quite weak, but for me that’s enough to know whether I’m in or out of Ketosis. What has worked better for me is just focussing on making sure that my macros are right by using the MyFitnessPal app and seeing how loose my pants are :slight_smile:. It is nevertheless satisfying to see the stick turn purple, and know that what you’re doing is working.

Good luck and Keep Calm and Keto On.

(Dan Dan) #3

You can try a Cheap Breathalyzer $9 I think it would work better for your purpose :thinking:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Mike list) #4

Thanks for all the info but I was wondering how long until I start making ketones?

(Rob) #5

Once the vast majority of carbs are flushed from your body, which should be within a few days of starting, so by now you should be producing Ketones. If you’re not, it means that you have too many carbs in your system, so maybe look at your macros and make sure they’re right.

(Allie) #6

Depends how quickly your body depletes glycogen stores, and this depends on many factors. Generally you get an unusual taste in your mouth, some say metallic other say fruity, and will feel very thirsty when you first start out.

(Rob) #7

Yes, Glycogen! you said it so much better than I did! lol :slight_smile:

It takes 18 to 24 hours for the contents of your stomach and liver to empty out theirs stores, after that it takes another 18 to 24 hours for tour body to start fueling itself properly with ketones.

(Rob) #9

There are also Glycogen stores in your muscles which will only be used through muscle usage. A good full body workout should see those depleted though.

I’m sure some people are faster getting into (or back into) Ketosis than others but it took over a week to get back into Ketosis after my Christmas excesses, even with heavy squatting and deadlifting in the gym. However, it doesn’t take much to keep me in Ketosis - as long as I’m below 50g of net carbs the Ketostix are still showing magenta.

As said before, everyone is different and for a very rough idea the Ketostix are the best option. Increased thirst is my main indicator, my face becomes visibly less ‘puffy’, my belly feels flatter and I’m never that hungry around dinner time. I just know now.

(Mike list) #11

I’ve already lost almost 7 pounds and I am always thirsty. Maybe I am already making Ketones. I may get the strips this weekend just to see. I didn’t go above 20 grams of carbs that’s the number right?

(Allie) #12

For most people yes

(Rob) #13

Sounds like your on-track already.

Drinking plenty of water is definitely a good thing, and don’t underestimate the importance of dietary supplements. Just search supplements on the forum for some ideas of what to take. Everyone is different, so what you need will be the result of what your body is demanding.

One thing you might notice is that your breath may smell of acetone (like nail varnish remover). My significant other certainly noticed that, and I now carry a pack of Smint sugar free mints with me for fresher breath. I’ve been reliably informed that it goes away once you’re not burning fat so much.

(Ken) #14

The issue is not so much ketosis, but if you’re in lipolysis. Ketosis is only one part of it. Since you’ve kept carbs under 20g and have lost weight, you’ve enabled lipolysis and have at least depleted, or began to deplete glycogen. You’re fine. If you want to get some strips or a meter you can, but they’re not necessary.

(Mike list) #15

I work in a warehouse and go to the gym so I know I’m getting the glycogen out of my muscles to help speed things along.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

This is perhaps not expressed quite the way it was intended. The acetone smell tends to go away once you’re burning fat more efficiently and no longer wasting some of the ketones you’re producing. This is also why the urine strips often stop registering after a while. It doesn’t mean you’re no longer in ketosis, but that your body is using the ketones and not spilling them.

Dr. Phinney defines nutritional ketosis as beginning at a threshold level of serum beta-hydroxybutyrate of 0.5 mmol/L, but he also has mentioned in a couple of lectures I’ve watched that some of the endurance athletes he has studied, who were extremely well fat-adapted, registered lower levels of BHOB than that. He says they were clearly still in ketosis, so he concluded they are just extremely efficient at utilizing most of the BHOB that they produce. In fact, I recently read in a post somewhere on this forum that he has now lowered the threshold somewhat, because of this research.