How can I get into ketosis if my blood sugar goes up after a meal?

(Wade) #10

Since I dont have an insulin meter I just have to assume that if my blood sugar is above 100 that I have too much insulin.

(Allie) #11

You cannot test insulin at home, just not possible.

Keto is high fat MODERATE protein, very low carb. It is NOT a high protein diet.

(Wade) #12

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Should my blood sugar rise above 100 after a meal if im on a keto diet?

(Allie) #13

Without wanting to offend you, I think you are making things much worse for yourself than they need to be. Keto is not complicated, it’s not stressful. Just focus on keeping carbs very low, protein moderate (a maximum of 85g a day is fine for most) and no upper limit on fat, just eat as much of it as you need to stop you being hungry.

(Allie) #14

It’s very rare to eat anything without a blood sugar reaction, the issue would be if it stayed high but yours is dropping back down as it should do so please stop stressing yourself out over it. Stay focused on the basics and give your body time to adapt as you are still in the very early stages.

(Omar) #15

I placed exactly the same question because I have the same case.

The answer I got that as long as you eat more fat than protein and as long as your carbs below 20 you will eventually get into ketosis.

Regarding the insulin meter to my knowledge it does not exist and maybe not required.

Just keep your carbs very low.

Let us assume that your insulin is high while you doing very low carbs so what would your action will be.

very simple the answer will be low carb for longer period.

The piece of usefull information you will get by measuring insulin is the period. The higher your fasting insulin the longer it will take your hormones to heal and balance.

I am observing this my self because I am exactly in the same situation. I observe my fasting blood glucose is getting few units lower every month.

When I cut carbs cold turkey my blood glucose went to 130.

After about six month on keto my blood glucose is 105 or 110.

So I am hoping in another 6 months my fasting blood glucose will go down to 80 like healthy people.

You’re not going to always keep your blood sugar under 100, that’s beyond unrealistic. It’s going to go up and down throughout the day whether from meals, stress, pain etc. The goal is to keep it low by not taking in fast carbs (high glycemic). Many are just short of petrified of raising their blood sugar from a completely acceptable mean, don’t be. Not every raise in blood sugar is a “spike” and nothing to worry about in most cases. The goal is to keep is as low as we can as long as we can, don’t confuse that with VERY low or ALWAYS!

(Wade) #17

Thanks! I woke up and it was 110, I put a touch of cream in my coffee and 15 minutes later I felt starving and wanted to eat everything in the kitchen…so I tested it and it was 138…so I went for a 15 minute bike ride and now Im not hungry anymore and it is 86.

Ive been testing like crazy…and whenever its 115 Im a little bit hungry…when its in the 120s Im in hunger mode…adn when its 130 or above Im STARVING…but im discovering that its not real hunger.

(Wade) #18

wow…thanks for this! I wake up around 110…most mornings…Im in mild ketosis…some parts of the day…accroding to the pee strips.

(Wade) #19

thank you!

(Wade) #20

Im just assumign that if my blood sugar is over 100 then there is insulin in my blood and Id rather get rid of it with a bike ride…it takes my hunger away.

Balsamic and tomatoes will raise your blood sugar. I love tomatoes, but have ditched the red ones In favor of growing my own. I now pick them green and fry them in butter, and eat with bacon and eggs. They are delish!

(Wade) #22

I honestly dont know how to eat more fat than protein since so many of the sources of fat come from protein. But I just had a chunk of swiss cheese…I shredded it…and poured olive oil all over it…and at it like cereal in a small bowl with a spoon…blood sugar…95…not bad

(Wade) #23

yum!!! can you eat regular bacon and eggs on keto …or does it have to be organic to lose weight?

(less is more, more or less) #24

@Wade I highly recommend you read the FAQ Some very intelligent heads collaborated on that. It is time well spent.

Eat what your budget allows. Nothing I eat is organic, and I shop at Aldi. KETO doesn’t have to be for the wealthy :wink:

If you’re looking to drop blood sugar. Soak 4 tablespoons of Chia seeds in 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk overnight in the fridge. Stir, and eat. Add Vanilla extract if you need some flavor.

I have been a diabetic for years and that statement is the truth of it! Glucose is really non satiating, and is like herion as it dives the body to want more with out control. Part of becoming a fat burner using a LCHF or as it sounds you like me need a Keto 20 carb high fat diet to move from an unbalanced glucose burner. Part of that is not just net Carbs but moving away from trigger foods, and hidden sugars. Per Dr Bikman, protein up to around 3g per kilo of lean body only increases insulin response by 0.6 percent. So it is better to reduce salad addons and increase protein for the difference. You can follow this by knowing and testing you pre meal and post prandial (2 hour post meal) glucose reading. Since I have been doing Keto I only get s 20-30 mg increase whereas before it could be 50-125 on massive meds.

(Wade) #28

how do I eat high fat without eating high protein? Fat is in protein mostly…

(Allie) #29

There are many threads about this already on this forum, it’s often discussed.

Try this one -