How can I ENJOY exercise?

(shawn) #89

lol! That would be some drs office! I was actually at a belly dance event this past weekend, and someone danced to ‘Blow Your Trumpet Gabriel.’ It was a group of mixed belly dancers, with only a few that do metal or dark fusion. I was hoping people that would be offended, didn’t catch the lyrics.

(Scott) #90

After reading this I realize that I am now procrastinating. I was doing okay getting in shape for skiing but cought a cold after the first trip. Then went skiing again and cought a cold that felt like it lingered for three weeks. Add in some cold weather and a rainy spell. I feel like my muscles have atrophied. I need to get back to my old routine of running four miles MWF with a gym stop on the way back for a Nautilus set. 7.5 miles on Tue Thurs and a 10 mile run on saturday. Planks for 15 minutes daily. Man I felt like I could conquer the world then. What sucks is I will likely need to start with a two mile run just to get going.

I don’t enjoy a whole lot of exercises, but I do enjoy my rowing machine, you might like something like that. There are games on it too for those of us that are mentally challenged with attention issues :crazy_face:

(Christy) #92

Gimme some 80s beats & some spandex & I turn into this dude :point_down:

(Scott) #93

I did it! This thread motivated me to get out and run this morning. I also decided to listen to the 2 keto dudes podcast for added enjoyment.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #94

Congrats, Scott! I’m going to pull the pulleys on the BoFlex soon. Who hoo!

(Kirk Wolak) #96

@PetaMarie I have actually helped people become Gym Addicted! (Imagine getting a text message from a fellow co-worker saying “I hate you! We moved, and the gym is no longer en route to the office. It’s been 2 weeks, and I am scouring for a place/way to get my daily routine back on track. I feel echh from not moving!”

My approach is simple. The goal is to build a habit, so set the bar low. Here is what I did with this guy, we found a gym that had a Sauna and Hot Tub. We agreed to meet at the gym before work, and if we HONESTLY did not feel like working out, we would do the Sauna and Hot Tub and shoot the crap without even working out.

Our goal was simple: Feel Better leaving the gym than when we arrived! Simple.

It turns out, you can motivate yourself to do the Enjoyable half to get to the gym. Then when you get there, here is the next “Deal” you can make. If you can manage 10 minutes of cardio. Get upstairs and do ONLY 10 minutes.

The results. 3 times in about 6 months, we ONLY did the Sauna and Hot Tub. It was from late nights on the computer dealing with issues. It helped to destress us! Cool.

Every time we went upstairs to do 10 minutes, we ended up doing at least 20 and usually the full 30. On 2-3 occassions we started with a goal of 30 but stopped at 20 and stretched more. (Ah, the magic her is listening to our bodies).

We almost ALWAYS finished our workouts with a sauna/stretching and hot tub/stretching. Then a full shower, and refreshed for the day.

6 months into it, we were barely ever missing a gym day, it became part of our schedule. we added weight lifting slowly. One machine per day of the week (M-F). First few weeks were just to learn how the machines worked, etc. And to find our workout weights, etc.

I moved on from that job, and only stopped when I moved…

==
Now, as I recover from surgeries, and stuff, I am slowly allowed to do things, and walking has been my passion. It turns out we need VERY LITTLE hard exercise. I listen to podcasts using stitcher at DOUBLE Speed, and walk. I have Audible, and double speed the books, and walk. I carry a voice recorder and record notes to research later, books to get, etc.

If I am listening to a podcast and learning something… Walking is easy. I walked 5hrs yesterday and plowed through 10hrs of podcasts, found 3 new books to read, and learned a ton. It keeps my mind busy.

I can’t listen to music. When I make the 13 hr drive from FL to TN… I rarely turn the radio on. If alone, I listen to a book on tape (at a slower speed like 1.5x), or just focus on the road…

==
so, feel better AFTER your workout should be your goal.
Getting to the gym is the hardest thing: so have an OUT that gets you there.
Getting started is the hardest: Create a shortcut. I only have to do 1 pushup and 1 squat to call it the day.
Listen to your body. Don’t over train. Getting a heart rate monitor helped me a LOT because I found I was pushing way to hard, creating stress, and getting sick. WELL THAT is going to be hard to stick with.

Now I think in terms of Stress, Sleep, Movement and Exercise. We need “Loving Movement” every day. Movement that nourishes our body and clears our minds, and destresses us. (walking/stretching/yoga).

We want to lower our stress when we exercise. That will keep us doing it. So dose it really small.

I recommend now, for weights: Dr. Ben “Slow-Slow” routine. He’s the Jack LaLane of Keto, doing it since the 1970s. The book is cheap on Amazon… Twice a week is more than enough to keep increasing and making gains.

https://www.lowcarbusa.org/slow-resistance-high-intensity-training/

And I think Tabata/HIIT (one hard one per week, and a tiny 2 cycle one every day except on Slow Slow days).

But build up slowly!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #97

Thanks for the very thoughtful post. I’ll take your advice into consideration. I do like the idea of feeling better afterward and I usually do. Thanks again.

(Jay Patten) #98

Sex is exercise.

Just sayin’.

:grin:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #99

Me and my friends call it sexercise. I’m aware of it’s existence. :wink:

FWIW, I detest all exercise except for cycling. Something about the crunch of gravel roads in the back-country & the birds chirping is very therapeutic.

(Marianne) #101

Wow; how far did you go?

(Marianne) #102

Had today off and it was warm here but overcast. I worked in the yard sawing limbs, pulling weeds, digging, trimming shrubs, sweeping. (I am so lucky - my husband is such a dear and cleans up after me. I just leave everything where I drop it, even my tools, and he takes care of it. He is super fit.) I loved every minute of it, but it was nearly the end of me.

I am not used to doing anything for many years now and had to sit on my cart 90% of the time and work from there. Came in the house after two hours and had to recover, plus I was overheated. Now I feel great and everything looks so nice - still lots more to do.

I know that was great exercise and I can’t wait to get out again and do more. The amazing thing to me is that I haven’t eaten since dinner last night and am not hungry. I can easily wait until dinner tonight to eat - amazing.

(Kirk Wolak) #103

I pace 2.5 miles in about 45 minutes. I call that 1 loop.
So I did at least 5 loops, but I believe on that day I did 6.
So 15 miles…

My capacity for walking and even jogging is skyrocketing.
I actually ran (for 30 seconds) at 10mph (6min miles) on the treadmill as my 3rd HIIT interval. I started at 6mph, then 8mph (2 minutes on each). 10 was the fastest I can remember running EVER.

The fact that I was going for 2 minutes was amazing. And this was FASTED for saturday and sunday, then running monday morning…

(traci simpson) #104

My sister and I take dance lessons on Saturdays from 12-3:30. It’s fun and I have a hard time considering it exercise but you can really work up a sweat! :dancer:
There is a youtube video I subscribe to dance to - the Fitness marshall. this Dude dances so good and his two background dancers are regular people! I’m terrible at it but what fun!!!

I am finding that I am starting to loath the actual gym. I can do strength training outside using my body and benches, and curbs and monkey bars. I work on a military base so there are a TON of outside things to assist in your workouts. I love walking but I find at work I get bored with the paths available. At home, when I have more time I can find some really good trails etc.,

I had a treadmill in the past and I would make it fun by dancing on it instead of walking or running. There are YouTube videos showing treadmill dancing in gyms, and they’re pretty inspiring. I’m not talking about Olympic level dancing either, just people having fun with it.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #106

No no, you should never watch other people doing it, unless you are specifically invited to do so. Any other way and it is a crime. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(Justin Russell) #107

From how long you’ve been doing exercises? I know the feeling, i’ve not interest in exercise, but after 6 months, my interest and love for exercise have developed over time. My routine played a big role in this case.

I have no clue if I posted to this before LOL
a lot of chat on here but I say —again maybe :)—that I don’t exercise. Any controlled, gym, scheduled ‘exercise’ stinks to me. I move. I kayak, bike, swim, ride horses, hike, walk the dog, and fly a kite or work my farm and chores and more. I won’t ‘do exercise’ and I was like—what is wrong with me and how do I fix it? What’s to fix…I hate it LOL and nothing is gonna change that…………so do you! Move as you see fit and just do that. You do not have to exercise. Exercise is ‘required in thought’ by those who live and work in cubicles and don’t ever move or have that opportunity. Their minds and bodies feel they need to move, and they do! For us who can bike, hike, swim, walk/little joggie or whatever ya love like maybe kayak or DO WHATEVER the heck ya like, go do that :slight_smile: Life came with no exer-cycle or spin class but it had running after prey to eat. Got your exercise in then HAHA

You are one of them or you ain’t…if you are not, move any way you love thru life. You don’t have to be a gym rat to ‘fit in’ ever :slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #109

Well I do work in a print shop, on my feet, lifting heavy stuff, pushing, pulling things, moving all kinds of ways. Currently I’m removing carpet, ceiling and soon walls in the basement, all of which is hard, sweaty work. I guess my concern has always been with my cardiovascular health. I can lift and I am strong, but boy do I get winded fast. Maybe I just need to do jumping jacks in my bedroom until I pass out or something. Still a work in progress over here~!