Holiday Meal Planning

(Linda Culbreth) #1

I have the honor of hosting extended family for Thanksgiving dinner - somewhere around 15-18 people. I am the only LCHF person in the group although at least 15 of that group besides me should be, if not all of us.
Here’s the menu I am thinking about - would love some feedback/suggestions.
1.Roast beef cooked in slow cookers
2.Green bean casserole, adapted with keto homemade mushroom soup maybe with crushed pork skins on top instead of rench fried onions from the can/bag
3. Cheesy hashbrown casserole using jimaca instead of frozen hashbrown potatoes
4. No bake almond butter cheesecake
5. Mixed green tossed salad
6. Somebody will squeal if they don’t get their brown 'n serve rolls
I have no intentions of telling anyone that it is LCHF or keto or anything else.
Comments? Please?

(Regina M.) #2

Sounds good. They probably won’t even notice anything different about the green beans or the notatoes. I have to do the family meal for both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Fortunately except for candied yams (totally unketofiable) and cornbread dressing, all of our standard dishes are either already keto-friendly or easy to adjust. I’m going to do salad, cream braised brussels sprouts, greens, turkey, ham and giblet gravy. I have seen a few keto cornbread recipes around. I have to take the time to experiment with them for a dressing recipe. I’m usually the one who makes the pies, so I might make a cheesecake as well. The only thing to adjust from a standard recipe is sweetener and make it crustless.

(Linda Culbreth) #3

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback. The turkey (and chicken) raise my insulin resistance and my inflammatory levels.I would be disowned if I made the dressing without using a five (or more) generation southern cornbread dressing recipe. So, I thought I would just skip the issue.

(Regina M.) #4

Interesting. I’ve noticed that my weight loss stalls if I eat too much poultry unless I add pork fat. If I don’t make dressing, I think I’ll be disowned. I’ll probably have to make both keto and non keto versions. I need a keto version, because dressing is my absolute favorite and I don’t want to be tempted. Last year I was on a standard low calorie diet, but we had dinner at my sister’s who can’t cook so it was easy to resist.

(Linda Culbreth) #5
You might find this article from Dr. Adam Nally enlightening. This was not the first place I heard about the chicken and turkey. Also, I know from experience that eating either = severe joint pain for several days. 

Also -you are fortunate in that she couldn’t cook. The group coming here are incredible cooks! Super tuff to resist anything they cook!