Hitting macro % but not macro grams

(Primalwoodsman) #1

HI all,
New here, but not new to low carb or keto lifestyle. I have a question that I don’t quite know the answer to and was unable to find an answer with google. I try for 70/25/5, fat, protein, carbs respectivly. I am typically right on when I track my meals. I’ve been doing low carb for around 20 years, but keto only a few months and know whats in most of what I eat. My question is this; Lets say I have hit my macro % but due to just not being hungry am eating less calories, therefore less fat overall. Is that ok or should I still get the daily fat grams in?

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

Your fine. Don’t sweat it. Strive for more fat than protein.

(Rob) #3

Since you are not a newbie and probably well fat adapted the ‘eat to satiety’ thing is probably applicable unless your signals are screwed. Macro % are not very useful now since it is the grams of carbs and protein that challenge the body’s organs that really count, and fat to make up the energy balance. Carb level to keep you in ketosis, protein to achieve your goals (a wide range is safe, more for muscle building, less for weight loss) and fat to give you enough energy (hopefully signaled by satiety).
A couple of exceptions to the satiety rule would be

1. If you think your metabolism is broken (low) - unlikely in your case - then you may try to eat more than hunger dictates, to raise metabolism.
  2. If your satiety signals are messed up, you might work out your TDEE and limit to that or below

I bet you’re fine and doing great as you are going… KCKO!

(Sue) #4

question - i’m allowed 68 grams of protein…if I do not hit 68 grams is that okay? or do I HAVE to hit 68 grams? I’m new and still trying to understand this. I know it is moderate protein, but wasn’t sure if that means i had to hit my protein gram intake.

(Alec) #5

Sue
Treat 68 as a guide. Way under is not ok, and way over isn’t either. Try to hit 50-80 or so.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #6

Just keep your eye on that net carb number and everything else will fall into place.

(Rhianne Inskip) #7

I’m having a similar issue. Keeping to below 20g carbs but when I exercise my macros get messed up. Fat and protein go down, carbs not so. We walked for 5 hours yesterday. By end of it we only had 16g carbs but the macros report on carb manager app showed almost complete carb day!!! I’m concerned we’re not doing something right, my partner is trying to reverse type 2 diabetes.

(bulkbiker) #8

I have also answered you on the diabetes .co.uk forum… but why do you think that your macro intake is impacted by exercise? The aim is to eat fewer than 20g of carbs per day.
So focus on protein and fat intake. Are you trying to restrict caloric intake too? Not a great idea.

16g carbs sounds OK, it’s good for most of us. Eat enough protein and enough calories, that’s about it as it’s highly unlikely to go below the minimal amount of fat on keto if your calories are right (possible but unlikely).
Exercise or not, undereating isn’t good, try to eat enough, at least at average. An odd day is fine, probably most of us has lower and higher calorie days, it’s normal. But we need fuel, starving is bad.