High Resistance

I am a 25yr T2D, stringently working on my Keto diets for about 2 months. Just got back the first portion of my fasting labs and had a few surprises. I am sure that the second set will help with some of these but want to view some thoughts on what I have seen.

I have had severe joint pain thst made it hard to even bend over to pick a coin up off the floor. The dr at one point even did a test a few years ago for RA. It was negative as suspect … no further test since it was confounded by some extremity nuropathy. Your diabetes was the issue. After a month of Keto this pain swelling and almost all of the nuropahy has gone. Yet I get back my first fasting Uric Acid and is 11.7 (4-8 range for normal). I guess it must have been way more than that due to the joint stiffness and pain level!

I knew the biggest shocker was going to be my Glucose and Insulin levels. I have been diligent on Keto and am thankful for my Dexcom5 for continued monitoring. I get so agitated over the Dawn Phenomenon as it can cause my fasting to rise 50mg or so. So I had a little higher Fadting Glucose of 203 (which my Verio IQ said, happy it is on target) and to my abhorrent shock my Fasting Insulin is 24.8 (range 3-17 uU/ml)! My HOMA-IR is 12.4 ! That is just stark to see and this being my first base line for a few of these test opened my eyes on things to hopefully see improvements.

My HbA1C on fullmeds( assorted) was 6.2 on 2-28-18, and with one month less than 50 net carb and 5 weeks (zero meds as in cold turkey) more with 20 net carb it was 6.4 ! Also during this time my ketones have been 0.8 - 1.8 on my Precision Xtra in the fasting morning and just before dinner!

C-peptide and C-Reactive protein are waiting for report . I did get back CMP and Lipid Profile. If you have any question please ask or suggestions let me know.

“My body may be resistant to change, but my mind is sharp and willing” Vincent

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

At two months, your body has hardly had time to sort itself out yet, so these are good baseline numbers. I suspect that if you get tested again in 4-6 months, you will see a significant improvement.

I’m glad you’re not all bent out of shape… As you’ve probably noticed, a lot of posts by newbies give the impression that they expected to achieve metabolic health and a hundred-pound weight loss by day 3!

(Donna) #3

Congratulations on the changes! It’s still new for you and I think as you give it more time you’ll be happy with the results. You are already noticing improvements in how you feel, I did as well. The insulin resistance will improve over time - trust the plan.

I got baseline fasting glucose and insulin tests done about one month into keto, then follow up at three months. My HOMA-IR went from 12.4 to 6.2 in that time. Keto works. The weight loss is very slow for me, but with this level of insulin resistance I’m not surprised. But the lack of joint pain, clear headednes, improved mood and general love of eating bacon is motivating on its own.

Those physical changes in the body make the effort easier! Yes the weight loss is slow but knowing that I am in Ketosis reinforces the regime. Just curious about your meds that you were taking along with the Dawn Phenomenon. I am glad I got a better baseline since when I was noted to be Diabetic they only cared about pushing meds versus the depth of the issue like HOMA-IR or the peptide tests.