High Protein Modified "Keto + Fasting" muscle building with low fat

(Karim Wassef) #321

So I have three prospects of interest. One in Colorado, one in New Jersey and one here in Dallas.

All have positives and negatives.

My wife wants me to take July off. We’re going to be taking the last two weeks for vacation anyway, but taking the first two weeks off will mean a ton of home projects… she’s a smart one… hehehe

All new roles will require extensive travel. This is going to be the next big challenge … how do I maintain my diet and lifting when I’m on the road for 4 weeks each month? I’m disciplined but hmm…

As far as excitement… all these prospects are very exciting. Some more than others and for vastly different reasons. Any would Ben an excellent step in the right direction.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #322

Omg take that one. :metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

(Karim Wassef) #323

Are you sure? I’m not sure about that area… jersey shore people can be evil…:joy:

Just kidding… it’s a top contender

(Karim Wassef) #324

Day 13 - Saturday June 29, 2019

Woke up feeling “heavy”… maybe dinner was too much fat and protein yesterday?

Today, I’m going to try for a little less protein

For the last three days, I’ve been eating more fat and it’s changed the trajectory of my composition…

(Karim Wassef) #325

I don’t have any size information except for almost a year ago… I was still at 25% body fat by then, so most dimensions have shrunk (that’s a good thing)

Lower body has certainly shrunk and that actually aligns with the DEXA data too.

(Karim Wassef) #326

Here’s my analysis sheet

the fat error and lean error at the top are what I try to minimize by changing the coefficients in yellow on the right hand side.

Using these “fat” coefficients:
I get an fat error of 6.8 and the chart looks like this:

If I let the analysis run loose, I get the unrealistic coefficients:
and the fat error drops to 6.2:

This makes the math work, but it’s garbage. I know of no mechanism that would have 105 cals/lb of fat mass maximum transfer rate… or that on my off days, my caloric intake drops to 11% of my normal high days.

If I constrain the low days RMR ratio, I get:
and the fat error is 6.5

Little more realistic, but I just don’t see that kind of transfer rate as being real, so I take a guess for the transfer rate at 45 and see if I get a meaningful RMR to converge
and the fat error is 6.7

If I take a lower transfer rate guess:

and the fat error goes up a bit to 6.8

It’s not a perfect fit, but it tracks and makes some sense

Here’s my formula for the change in fat day over day:
=MAX((food calories that day - RMR guess that day)/9/453.6,- transfer rate x fat mass /9/453.6)

So if my dietary intake is high, the formula defaults to the caloric driven gain. If it’s low, then it’s limited by the transfer rate.

(Karim Wassef) #327

Dinner plan today has been “modified” by wifey:

so… that didn’t work. I was too hungry with the combination of higher protein and lower fat… and we ended up here:

(Karim Wassef) #328

It was a rough almond-encrusted night… enjoyed it, but I need to beware the very low fat high protein state… its risky unless I can muster up some serious self control.

so… I’m going with ~100g of fat today, that’s the “plan”

(Karim Wassef) #329

Just sharing this - not saying I agree with it (or all of it):

:smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #330

Wanted to take a minute and share the supplementation I’m taking these days:

MINERALS:
Magnesium (1.2g) + Potassium (0.3g) + Zinc (50mg) + Copper (2mg) + Iodine (278mcg)

VITAMINS:
C (1g) + A (25000IU) + K2 (100mcg) + D3 (5000IU) + E (450mg)

OMEGA 3:
Norwegian Cod Liver Oil (1g) + Krill Oil (1g)

BLOOD FLOW & MUSCLE GAINS:
CoQ10 (100mg) + Beet Root (2.2g)

FAT BURNING / THERMOGENICS:
Carnitine (1g) + Ceylon Cinnamon (2.4g) + Cayenne (450mg) + Alpha Yohimbe (2mg)

TESTOSTERONE BOOSTERS:
Fenugreek (1.22g) + Stinging Nettle Root (1.5g) + Boron (2mg) + Avena Sativa (400mg)

GLUCOSE CONTROL:
Berberine (2.4g) + Bitter Melon (500mg) + Bentofiamine (300mg) + Leucine (40mg) + Cruciferous Veg (700mg)

ADAPTOGENS:
Ashwagandha (2.6g) + Theanine (200mg)

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY:
Cordyceps (2g) + Turmeric/Curcumin (5.85g)

VITAMIN B COMPLEXE
Nutritional Yeast + B Complex: (this consists of two pills but it covers a lot of ingredients). I pulled this out of the vitamins list because it’s a lot of parts:

B1 (Thiamine) 144mcg+100mg
B2 (Riboflavin) 144mcg+100mg
B3 (Niacin) 1440mcg+20mg
B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 72mcg+100mg
B6 (Pyridoxin) 72mcg+60mg
B7 (Biotin) 14.4mcg+100mcg
B9 (Folate) 72mcg+667mcg
B12 (Methylcobalamin) 2.4mcg+100mcg
Choline 20mg
Inositol 100mg
Potassium 18mg
Sulfur 14.4mg
Magnesium 8.4mg
Sodium 2.1mg
Zinc 720mcg
Calcium 300mcg
Chloride 300mcg
Iron 216mcg
Selenium 36mcg

(Karim Wassef) #331

The plan for today…

(Mario) #332

last 10 lbs? what did i miss? ahh, supps…

720 zinc seems quite a lot, and 50 before? 770?
magnesium only 1.208? why THAT much iron?

so you are already in the last 10lbs… arent you?

(Karim Wassef) #333

720mcg Zinc isn’t a lot… it’s 0.72mg. That comes from the nutritional yeast. With the 50mg Zinc supplement, its ~51mg.

The iron is also from the nutritional yeast. 216mcg = 0.2mg. That’s trace.

Magnesium is 1.2g… that’s 1200mg.

Im at 175lb with 138lb of lean and 37lb of fat ~ 21.1% bf

If I lose 10lbs if fat, I’d be 165lb with 138lb of lean and 27lb of fat ~ 16.4% bf … that’s close to my target.

If I could lose 15lb, I’d be 160lbs with 138lbs lean and 22lb fat ~ 13.8% bf

Unfortunately, if I lose fat, I also lose lean… and vice versa.

(Mario) #334

i am with your story. and as a man of science - and you for sure are too, do you remember the the words of Einstein, repeating the same again and again?

(Karim Wassef) #335

He was talking about energy and mass. In my case, it’s mass and mass and governed by hormones, not just physics. :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #336

I made a nice protein shake today… new formula

58g pea protein powder
13g Leucine powder
10g marine collagen
5g creatine
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon potassium citrate
1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon ground ginger juice
ice and water
two squirts of Stevia

blended in a bullet…

(Karim Wassef) #337

I can sort of track the fat mass… the trends are there, but I think the scale measurements are heavily distorted by hydration, so there is a lot of noise there.

but clearly the formula I’m using for lean mass only works when I’m not using a high protein low fat approach. The results until June 19th represent a carnivore keto with more fat and moderate protein - my curve aligns with that quite well…

Now that I’m trying a little more fat and high protein, both curves are more off… so the total bf% is off too.

Here’s the macros and dietary calories guess vs. RMR guess…

I wasn’t very hungry today even though I had a lot of protein (244g) and really low fat (70g) and almost no carbs (3g). Total calories were ~1600 and I felt fine.

I do think that being protein adapted takes time, just like being fat adapted… and I’m on the other side of it now. I am concerned that my RMR is dropping.

I can honestly say that high protein low fat and no carb is the fastest weight loss I’ve ever experienced, but it’s potentially risky when it comes to lean mass preservation. Carnivore works great… lean carnivore works faster but … I have no idea what it’s really doing until I get to the next DEXA/RMR.

(Karim Wassef) #338

Next DEXA/RMR is July 6th at 1pm… This coming Saturday… 5 days away.

I’m going to lift as hard as I can this week and try to get back to my high protein, low fat plan so I can get a good measure of what it does… for science…

(Karim Wassef) #339

Here’s Tuesday’s plan:

If my RMR is really 2000, then I really should be targeting 1600-1800, but I’m going to try this for a week and see what I get on Saturday.

I’ll say that my shoulder and bicep tendon feel better when I’m taking the collagen. It might all be in my head, but bone broth or collagen just seem to do it for me. I try to eat the skin when I eat salmon, but it’s just not enough mass I think.

In case you’re wondering what the % on the right is… that’s the protein content by calories. So the salmon, MCT and lettuce are the only items with a lower protein content. MCT is clearly zero, but I was surprised at how much salmon delivers in terms of good fat calories. The fat grams are less, but since they’re more than double the calories of protein, they still dominate.

(Karim Wassef) #340

Tomorrow, Tuesday is a pool fun and “pull day”… back and biceps mostly.

Wednesday is a “push day”… chest and triceps mostly.

Thursday (4th of July) should be lower body and more pool fun time.

Friday should be core and just fun stuff… maybe shoulders and biceps

Saturday is pool in the morning and DEXA/RMR

Sunday is a family get together/cookout - and since it’s at my house, they can all be “grumpers” and eat my high protein cooking! I’ll have a low carb beer or something. :smiley:

That’s the plan, at least…