High Heart Rate

Yes. But only until your body was keto-adapted. The initial adaptation to being able to use ketones as a fuel source takes some time as enzyme systems and mitochondria adapt. Changes to insulin also effect the kidneys and the reabsorption of minerals. At the new, eventual keto-adapted state the loss of electrolytes is not as acutely symptomatic as it is in the first few weeks. But the risk of chronic depletion is present if nutritional inputs and metabolic outputs aren’t monitored in the case of an individual experience of initial higher heart rate.

The risk of calcium oxalate kidney stones increase under a number of influences. Dehydration while increasing activity, especially hot, sweaty exercise where hydration is lost in the sweat, would be a component. The urge to be active when in nutritional ketosis can be very strong (a positive side effect) and this is often converted into an increased exercise regimen.

After initial heart palpitations or leg cramps the response is to supplement electrolytes. Potassium can be obtained through food. But magnesium is often the mineral more easily depleted. Oral Magnesium supplements can have a laxative effect, especially magnesium oxide and magnesium sulphate. If they do not, then it may be and indication of deficiency in some individuals, and the n=1 is to find a twice daily dose that doesn’t quite create that laxative effect.

Then the advice will come to get the magnesium through food, via avocados, leafy greens, bone broth and dark chocolate. If your local avocados and leafy greens are grown in mineral depleted soils, then the foods may not have as much magnesium as expected. Since, at the acute symptom stage, a supplement is needed, it may be best to use a formulated pill.

To minimise calcium oxalate stone formation in the traditional ketogenic diet used to treat epilepsy the patients are treated with potassium citrate as the potassium supplement (1). The citrate salt prevents the formation of oxalate crystals.

However, if a person gets dehydrated occasionally, is determined to get minerals from spinach and dark chocolate, and they use dairy products as a keto staple, they then have a high risk environment for a calcium oxalate kidney stone. The calcium competes with magnesium for uptake. Magnesium re-uptake at the kidneys is hampered by the active sodium excretion of ketogenic naturesis; sodium excretion driven diuresis due to lowered insulin. The leafy greens, in particular spinach, and dark chocolate are high oxalate foods. The dehydration allows urine concentration and crystal formation in a urine of slightly acidic pH because of the low carb intake. And a kidney stone is formed.

1. https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-87/
    Early in the discussion Professor D’Agostino mentions the use of the citrate salt of potassium to stop the formation of kidney stones in a therapeutic formulation of the ketogenic diet "Low carb and ketogenic diets do have side effects…" [00:11:13] Dom talks about the most common misconceptions and overrepresentations of the ketogenic diet, and;
    [01:07:05] Dawn asks what targets people should shoot for on a ketogenic diet with regards to their electrolytes, and to describe the signs and symptoms of inadequate electrolytes.

Previously: https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/dom-dagostino-electrolytes-magnesium-in-nutritional-ketosis-stem-talk/85175?u=frankobear

Hello @kitvan - I know this post is a good few months old but I am keen to know how this situation worked out for you. I have exactly the same problem and it is worrying me a little as I do have some heart issues (CAD), and in my case my blood pressure has also gone up since starting Keto. In the last few days I am trying to look at electrolytes more closely but am reluctant to eat a lot more salt as I am nervous of potential blood pressure consequences? I am interested to know whether this is all just due to adaptation, and just need some confidence to hang in for longer to see if it corrects itself.