High BK = IR?

(Christy Moreno) #1

Another group said if you have high BK that you aren’t fat adapted and are insulin resistant.
Thoughts on this?
I’ve been running between 2 and 4.0.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

Just my experience. I’ve been doing keto for six months, and my BK are finally getting a bit higher, while my blood glucose is getting lower. I need to lower my blood glucose, so since there seems to be a relationship between bg and ketones, I am happy about that. I have lost the weight, but not the appetite. I am a 60 year old woman, and have heard that complete fat adaption in my case (there are many stages to it) may take up to a year. But I am very happy with my progress.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

I have no signs or insulin resistance/sensitivity.
I’ve never gotten high BK readings, even 72 hours fasted I can only reach 2.1, that’s whilst being completely fat adapted.
Theory is there isn’t many in my blood considering my body is so efficient at using them. That’s an interesting concept though.

(Christy Moreno) #4

Yeah. Mine tend to be high most of the time. Curious if my body Is burning them but don’t know. Hope so. I’ve been Keto off and on the past few years but was really off this summer. Haven’t really had this happen before. Though I am being extremely careful with food and macros. Maybe I need to bring down fat a touch.

(Christy Moreno) #5

My BG is typically in the 80-95 range but my ketones are always on the high end. Interesting to watch.

(Bob M) #6

My blood sugar starts “high” (over 100) every morning, then goes up until around noon or so, then goes down all day and night until around midnight (know by using a continuous glucose monitor). I usually have low ketones, below 1.0 unless I’m fasting (though I do note I often do not take them at night, when they would be higher). I have over 1,300 samples, starting June 4, 2016, some ketones, some blood sugar. The highest ketones I recorded was 4.2, likely during a 4.5-5.5 day fast. Will be 5 years low carb/keto on January 1, 2019. I’ve looked for a relationship between blood sugar and ketones, but it escapes me what it is.

(Christy Moreno) #7

Maybe I’m not eating enough

(Bob M) #8

I’m not sure that has much to do with the level of ketones, although fasting makes your ketones increase (and blood sugar decrease). For me, a high fat intake can often increase ketones. I eat higher protein now.

(Christy Moreno) #9

Thanks. I don’t think I’m eating enough. I probably need to up my food a bit. Ketones spiked today over 5.