High alkaline phosphatase

Hello! I just had a complete blood panel done. My alkaline phosphatase was 125. Normal levels are 39-117. Albumin, Bilirubin, AST and ALT were all in normal range. As background, I’m carnivore 99% of the time, but I do drink 4-5 cups of green tea daily. I’m post-menopausal. Anyone else have high alkaline phosphatase on either carnivore or keto?

Just going to bump this to the top to see if we can get an answer for you.

(Bunny) #3

[1] Are long term high-protein diets harmful?

Dr. Jason Fung: Hard to say. There is some suggestion that high animal protein intake may cause osteoporosis. Many of these proteins are acidic, which require neutralization in the body. This acid is buffered in the bones and then eventually the acid is excreted as phosphoric acid. Because bone consists of Calcium bound to phosphorus there is extra calcium which gets excreted in the urine. This leads to higher urinary calcium losses and potentially osteoporosis. …More

[2] What would cause liver enzymes to be elevated? If these results are normal and your alkaline phosphatase levels are high, it may mean the problem is not in your liver. Instead, it can indicate a bone disorder, such as Paget’s Disease of Bone, a condition that causes your bones to become abnormally large, weak, and prone to fractures. …More

[3] Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) is an enzyme found in several tissues throughout the body. The highest concentrations of ALP are present in the cells that comprise bone and the liver. Elevated levels of ALP in the blood are most commonly caused by liver disease or bone disorders? …” …More

[4] ”…Saliva production is the exocrine function of the salivary glands. The buffering capacity of saliva is critical to neutralizing the oral environment. This minimizes the de-mineralization of enamel and enhances its re-mineralization. K2, such as that found in fermented cheese, improves salivary buffering through its influence on calcium and inorganic phosphates secreted. Data collected from several selected primitive cultures on the cusp of civilization demonstrated the difference in dental health due to diet. …More

[5] Hepatic ALT isoenzymes are elevated in gluconeogenic conditions including diabetes and suppressed by insulin at the protein level

Experienced Carnivores I need your help!
(Roberta La Brecque) #4

Hi MelTar, Just joined keto forum, saw your post. Two questions, are you still keto, are your Alkaline Phosphatse levels still high ? Okay, one more question, if still high, have you experienced any adverse effects?
I here on this forum because my resent test are 134 for alkaline phosphatase. I’ve been mostly carnivore for a while and I feel great. I’m also post menopause.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Welcome to the forums. While we have no objection to posting in an old thread, please be aware that we haven’t seen Mel (OP) in four years. So it’s not likely that she will be replying. However, others on the forum may be able to comment.

My own thought is that one high number would have to be seen in context to make sense. How our your other liver enzymes, your inflammatory markers, your serum glucose and insulin, and HbA1C? All of that should be taken into account. If you have been osteoporotic, that might explain the high ALP level. A keto/carnivore can help strengthen bone density, and the adding of bone mass might possibly explain a higher ALP level. Of course, many other conditions can elevate ALP, so who knows?