High Acetone Levels In Breath After 2.5 days of Keto

(Lewis ) #1

Hi All, first post so go easy on me :innocent:

Im 37 years old, male and fit. I have been doing intensive sport and exercise all my life.

So I decided to try the keto diet to clear out my mind fog for an exam I want to pass in January as well as lose about 1.5 KG for increased sport performance. Also I love cheese and meat which I have been limiting due to excess fat so I reckon me and this diet will get along juuuust fine :heart_eyes:

I started doing Keto 2.5 days ago.
After the first day I blew 0.0
Last night I blew 8.1 on the Keto meter
This morning I am 7.5

Also I felt as ruff as old boots yesterday. Definite flu like symptoms which I have read is to be expected. I ran 6.5 miles a couple of days ago, did a gymnastics class and ran 3.5 miles and had a workout yesterday. This is level of exercise is normal for me.

Is this a cause for concern? I am thinking it probably is? Is this becuase I didn’t eat enough carbs? Will it settle down?

I reckon I ate about 20g of carbs yesterday (maybe a bit less).

Thanks

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Don’t stress on the numbers :slightly_smiling_face:

(Scott) #3

My runs sucked for about three months, no energy. Now I can run all day with no food.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

@Lewis Unless you are using a Ketonix or Levl, and from the description of those numbers, I don’t think you are, the numbers on your ‘breathalyzer’ mean diddly. Don’t sweat it. Ketonix and Levl, record BrAce in parts per million. Unless I’m very mistaken, the numbers you quote are generated from a breathalyzer designed to measure BAC that only by fluke of the detector design also detects BrAce and/or possibly Isopropanol, which is molecularly similar to BrAce.

Of course, the real issue with measuring BrAce is that it fluctuates continuously. If you get a Ketonix, for example, and measure your BrAce hourly for a couple of days you will see what I mean. I have done this. The best you can hope for is that your breathalyzer indicates the presence of BrAce, not Isopropanol, so your liver is synthesizing ketones. Good. But don’t read into it what it can not tell you which is how much.

(Lewis ) #5

I am using a ketonix. At least that was what I searched for and got this little device called a ketone meter.

I am now blowing 9.5! I have lost 3.3kg in 1 week. I have lost about as much as I want to lose now so im hoping that this rate of weight loss does not continue. Time to up that calorie intake I reckon.

Seriously though, I am a bit concerned about this.

(Lewis ) #6

I have read that this means that I am in ketoacidosis. Surely thats not good? I have read that I should contact a doctor? I feel fine though. Completely normal.

Its nice not being hungry. I am finding that when its time to eat, I am not hungry like I used to be which means that although I am hungry im not so hungry that I just eat junk I can easily take time to walk to the shop, get ingredients then spend 45 minutes cooking. This diet is a winner.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

The device in the photo is NOT a Ketonix when I get home I’ll send a link.

YOU ARE NOT IN KETOACDOSIS. Relax. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

Here’s the link to Ketonix.

Just so no one accuses me of shilling for Ketonix…

Here’s the link to Levl.

I think Levl is probably the better, more accurate device, but it’s way more expensive, too. I’ve come to the conclusion that other than simply verifying ketosis, measuring ketones (any of them) is not very informative. If for medical reasons you must maintain a certain level of β hydroxybutyrate I can see the usefulness of a blood meter to determine that. But I think the following device will turn out to be a much more useful item for the rest of us. I ordered in June, still awaiting delivery now scheduled for sometime this month (supposedly).

(Lewis ) #10

OK so I bought a Ketonix. Its just sat there at the moment saying wait, warming up.

Apparantly you have to wait 25 minutes for the thing to warm up. Thats a bit annoying isn’t it?

(Lewis ) #11

Ahhhhh thats better :slight_smile: Im liking this actually. Its good the way it tracks your progress and records the data samples.

(Lewis ) #12

So what should be the optimal ‘target’ level to maintain a good healthy keto diet? Am I a little on the low side here? Should I worry if it goes into the yellow?

If I eat a bunch of carbs (say my entire 20g daily intake in one meal) would I expect to see a drop in the PPM of acetone in my breath?

Also is it a good idea to load up that 20g of carbs before exercise in order to maximse performance?

Thanks for all the helpul advice btw

(Bunny) #13

That is an awful lot of activity on 20 grams of carbs, if I were you, I think I would be doing some serious bonking after all that (or during that level of activity) and not being fully fat adapted.

This (below) has me worried

Just something to be aware of; exercise or high levels of physical activity you claim to be doing can be the equivalent of calorie restriction and on top of that your limiting carbohydrates to 20 grams per day and being as physically active as you are spells out drop dead DANGER to me (literally).

I would strongly suggest you get a blood ketone and glucose meter to see what your really looking at or go to the nearest emergency room and get checked out just to be safe?

(Lewis ) #14

OK so I am in another dilemma with my breath acetone levels.

I spent a lot of money on the Ketonix but im not sure if it has a problem or not.

I have been on the Keto diet since the start of the year. I have lost between 4 and 5kg and have loads of energy. I am less hungry as well. Generally its working well for me. I had Keto flu for a day. All the signs suggest I am in Ketosis. The meter disagrees however. I have been quite strict with diet and and am definitely not consuming a lot of carbs at all. No more than 20g per day.

I am blowing consistent numbers that range from 7 to 10.
My wife was on the Keto diet for 2 days. She blew 30. Then a day later she blew 20. She is consistently now blowing between 15 and 20. She has been on this diet for a week now. She isn’t strict with it.
My flatmate isn’t on the Keto diet at all. He blew 30.

What gives? Am I doing something wrong with the diet or is there something wrong with the Ketonix?

Appreciate your help…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

@Lewis Congratulations taking the plunge with Ketonix. Now you’re getting real BrAce numbers. But I think you’re taking the numbers too literally. BrAce results from the ‘spontaneous’ breakdown of acetoacetate into acetone and CO2, which then vent primarily via the lungs. Some acetone vents directly through the skin. A small amount of acetone is also metabolized. These portions can not be measured as BrAce. Most acetotacetate, however, ‘spontaneously’ converts to/from β-hydroxybutyrate. In addition, much acetoacetate is used directly by lipolysis. BrAce represents only that portion of acetoacetate that stays in the blood long enough to ‘spontaneously’ breakdown and vent through the lungs. So although there is an apparent relationship between BrAce concentration and acetoacetate concentration, it is not a simple 1:1 ratio and you’re only fooling yourself to think so. That’s not a constant number. Plus, you don’t measure every single molecule that ends up in your lungs no matter how good your sampling technique. With BrAce, sampling technique can have a bigger influence on the reading, than the actual amount of BrAce being sampled.

This is a very dynamic system. It responds very quickly to changing metabolic conditions, inputs and outputs. You can easily demonstrate this for yourself by taking BrAce readings hourly for two or three days in a row. So it makes no sense to get obsessed with the numbers you detect with your Ketonix.

AND ESPECIALLY do not concern yourself with the blue, green, yellow and red segments of the Ketonix meter display. Yes, the folks at Ketonix will tell that BrAce is the ‘best’ measure of overall ketosis and those colours mean something significant. Maybe, maybe not. If you detect BrAce, then you are in ketosis. If you detect more BrAce at noon than at 9am, you have more acetoacetate breaking down at noon than you had at 9. Why - you don’t know. Is more at noon ‘better’ - you don’t know.

Finally - do not compare your readings with your wife’s readings and draw any conclusions. Most folks starting keto vent a lot of BrAce and pee out a lot of acetoacetate simply because their cells and organs don’t know what to do with it. They’re still waiting for the glucose to arrive and only utilize some ketones and fatty acids when the glucose doesn’t arrive in sufficient concentrations. Initially, your liver pumps out ketones to excess, again because it’s doing something new and can’t yet match demand with production. That will come slowly, just as cells and organs wil eventually utilize ketones and fatty acids more efficiently. Less will vent.

Always keep in mind - BrAce is a peep hole on a huge system. You’re seeing a very small part of what’s actually going on. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you’re seeing more than you are.

(Lewis ) #16

It just seems like this whole acetone in the breath thing is meaningless. It somewhat disappoints me as my flat mate blew 30 and he’s not even on the diet. It makes this expensive piece of kit a waste of money no?

(Lewis ) #17

No comment huh. Case closed.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #18

As closed as you want it to be. Measuring any of the three ketones is confusing at best and useless at worst. If you do it multiple times per day over weeks you may notice patterns, or not. Taking only the occasional sample won’t tell you much else than you had x at time y. Period. It’s a very dynamic system that changes constantly. As long as you remain in ketosis, ketones get synthesized. But how many for how long before they’re used as fuel or excreted as ‘waste’ or heat. Varies a lot and you can’t see this variability unless you measure frequently and consistently over time.

If you want to blow a big number on you ketonix, have a glass of wine an hour before you sample.