Hey how are you going? What did you STRESS eat today?

Our bodies are smart.

If we feel stressed I think smart people have found out that we all will release hormones, primarily cortisol. That will lead to a natural rise in blood sugar and a balancing insulin response. The body under stress wants to build up capacity in anticipation of a challenge.

The stress response results in an eating response in line with the hormone signals.

Where I am it is autumn. My ancient body is saying put on some fat for winter. Social media is saying lots of unhelpful stuff and my body is saying, “You’re a bit stressed. Best to build some reserves.”

So I’m finding this eating response is matched to local seasonal fruits such as pumpkins, apples and pears. Oranges and lemons are a few weeks away, still green on the trees.

The aisles in the supermarket were surprisingly well stocked with chocolate while the grain based snack foods were hoarded as well as trollies full of sweet sofa drinks going out the doors. This week the chocolate is disappearing as well.

I usually eat Keto, and still do. I am glad Keto staples are not high on hoarders lists. Eggs for breakfast, maybe with bacon, seaweed, or sardines. Then a second meal built around protein and fat. All packed in an 8 hour feed time, but no snacks between the meals. That is business as normal, for me.

But this week I can see the stress eating appear and it has been, cream in every coffee, cheese melted on meals, eating pumpkin and zucchini, when previously I didn’t, and one or two pears while checking in on the Keto forums and COVID19 updates.

I see a few days fever fasting in the future. Currently sipping salty bone broth as I type.

What are you observing in your self? Are you stressed? What do you feel you should be eating at this time?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Nothing. I don’t stress eat. The only thing different today is I started my active countermeasures to try to avoid COVID-19. I’m likely overdosing zinc simply because I don’t yet know what the useful dose should be, although I know the RDA and the ‘normal overdose’. No signs of zinc OD yet even though I’m way past the so-called ‘normal overdose’.

Michael I just listened to Chris Masterjohn PhD about zinc and the corona virus.

Zinc is used in an influenza virus prevention protocol but that does not mean it will be useful against the corona virus. It might still be an idea to supplement zinc to limit catching flu at the same time.

The standard preventative measures studied for flu prevention may only overlap partially with corona virus strategies. Which takes us to some supplements may be detrimental…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

@FrankoBear No disrespect intended, but I doubt Chris Masterjohn knows squat about this. He’s just stating the standard protocol, which as far as I know is valid. I’m supplementing zinc based on this

The reason that Chloroquine works, I understand from an expert in viral pandemics, is that enables the body to absorb more zinc. Zinc appears to be the most effective agent in disrupting the virus and preventing the ‘cytokine storm’ , which is the deadly phase in which the virus tricks the body’s immune system into attacking its own healthy tissue, with often fatal consequences.

Source

I mentioned this here.

If you wonder why I think Delingpole is more believable on this than Masterjohn, it’s becuase I have followed Delingpole for years and he’s always been bang on correct. I’m not to that point with Masterjohn.

The following also discusses the similarities between ‘flu’ and SARS-type viruses:

Oops. Not the link I meant. I’ll try to find it.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #5

Yes I’m very very stressed. My cortisol levels must be very high. Stress eating. Well I’m not doing it but I have been having crappy carb cravings. Naughty food. But I don’t indulge the thoughts. They just pop in my head and then leave. When I’m really stressed my gut knots up into a tiny ball and I lose my appetite. Kind of like how animals don’t eat when stressed. But I’m craving bunless burgers but there’s none in the shop. So yeah, damn.:joy::joy:

I try to brush it off, but the other day I did feel a prickling of ANGST that the pneumonia caused m corona could actually take my life. And yeah - I hit a box of keto cookies. At least they were keto. Chocolate chip. I am sure that day I had WAY more carbs than allowed. I got back onto keto under 20g the next day and have been holding steady since then. A blip in the calendar. But if I catch it, I don’t think I will be avoiding carbs for the duration because that would just be too stressful of a situation.

(Trudy) #7

What a great conversation starter. I have a few stressors happening at the moment apart from the obvious! Thanks for highlighting this…for the first time in a couple of years I was tempted by a bread roll, honestly very little interest in the past. I was making my husbands dinner (I’m the only one keto in my immediate family) and could have taken a bite of the roll, had to do a double take…so bizarre and I wouldn’t have considered our current situation. As usual, I’m having some peanuts and wine, expect a weight gain but that’s the least of my current issues. If I can stay in ketosis my thinking will be clearer, that is my current goal.

(Allie) #8

I don’t stress eat. Food has never been a comfort to me in that way, just a necessity.

I am hungrier. I don’t crave non-keto foods, but I want more food. Yesterday I had a big bacon/egg breakfast because I knew it would sate me until dinner, the two previous days I had 3 meals plus snacks. Going to have a big breakfast again today, it beats waiting until late morning and then eating non stop.

I do stress and comfort eat, the worst was after my husband died and I wanted to eat but not cook, so I ate a lot of junk. I’m not that bad now by far, but I do see the comfort eating raising it’s ugly head.

(Jane) #10

I’m sorry for your loss, Velvet.

Thank you! It’s been 8 years now, time does heal, slowly but surely.

I don’t feel more stressed than usual. I feel tired a bit. Not physically but in the way where one gets tired when they focus very much on something for a while.

I desire the exact same food as always. I never noticed any chance as seasons changed either. I always wanted delicious, fatty food, all my life. My desired changed drastically but tons of calories and most of them is fat? That stayed the same.The only seasonal thing I noticed that I always wanted more raw, juicy fruit towards the end of winter but it tapered down during my lower and lower carb years.

Food is joy for me (among other, even more important roles. and joy is super important) but rarely any comfort and never reward. Chocolate never made me any happier.

Stress rarely made me eating more but it’s possible, I care less, I don’t want to focus on eating the right amount… But if my diet is right, overeating isn’t easy and at some point I get full and stop, it doesn’t matter if I am stressed. If I want consuming something for comfort, I drink tea or coffee, the latter isn’t black if I want to really enjoy it but I surely never will drink it with an overly big amount of cream or something (or if I do, it means I need the calories and can’t eat normal food. extreme in my life but may happen).

So… I eat almost carnivore as that is the best for me. I already dirty up it more than enough, I definitely won’t start to eat even more carbs and make my life worse. Especially that my animal food is way tastier and if I just want variety or I get nostalgic, I eat the usual tiny amount of anything I want.
I can’t say there is no change as I eat less and less carbs per week now as my carbier days start to disappear. I don’t gain anything with them, usually.

I do IF, OMAD or TMAD. If I could wait for at least a slight hunger, maybe it would be OMAD every day but I would probably skip days. I don’t get hungry easily). It’s my goal to figure this out but I am bad at it.

My body likes this amount of fat (I don’t), I never felt it wants to add more. But I couldn’t eat enough for that anyway, not without feeling much worse. So I don’t have that problem either.

(Marianne) #13

Lately, deviled eggs.

(Troy) #14

Definitely an increase in craving sugar!
Definitely hungrier
Some stress
Changing up my eating windows
I’m adapting or trying to do so by eating more nuts
Macadamia and some pecans. Yum
Chocolate occasionally
W that, added calories, I’m ok No biggie🙂

Sugar free gum is helping me as well

Good topic

(Susan) #15

I am fasting since Wednesday at 2pm – which works well for me for Stress – since Keto, fasting is best for me when stressing – pre-Keto it would be tons of candy, like tons… I love candy so it is my addiction that I must avoid =).

(Keto Koala 🐨) #16

My weakness was pizza and pasta Mom. But I’m like you, when I’m stressed I don’t wanna eat at all. We are two peas in a pod.:blush:

(linda) #17

Almonds!

(Marianne) #18

Girrlll, you a killa!

:rofl::hugs:

I have stress now that the Hungarian government’s page talk about not leaving the house. Completely unrealistic and pointless in my case but just thinking about it made me quite stressed (maybe reading some horribly stupid opinions about the virus just before made it worse) and I doubt I will come closer to panicking in the near future. I am calmer now but I will find life a bit less amusing like before and my life was very dark before anyway…

How will I eat? I can’t help I already decided on a proper carnivore day for tomorrow, without coffee as I drink a lot of it again… I will drown my sorrow in some extremely amazing guineafowl soup. I feel absolutely blessed to have it. If some food can comfort me, that’s it and my smoked pork ribs from the nearby farm (the guineafowl is from another farm).
But I ate so much today that it’s possible I won’t eat tomorrow. Especially if I will be stressed. I forgot that if I am extremely stressed and as close to depression as I can be (I am immune I presume), I lose my appetite (it becomes negative. I easily eat a lot with zero appetite). For a hedonistic glutton like me (except in special circumstances), it signals an extremely big problem. But if I am normally stressed, I eat as usual as I already wrote before.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

My train has totally run off the tracks since my surgery, hospital stay and COVID19 scare.