Help with Potassium and Sodium

(Cassy Downs) #1

Good Evening!

I have been on Keto for almost a month and NEVER felt tired or weak. I did my first fast, it accidentally happened so I went with it, it lasted 38 hours before I broke. This was yesterday around lunch. The rest of the day I felt EXHAUSTED and cranky. Today, same thing. I am so tired, my eyes feel so heavy. I remember reading a lot about supplements and went back into some posts here and tried to read through and find what I needed, but you will have to forgive me, I am so tired and out of it I am having trouble focusing. I have never in my life and not since Keto taken any supplements, but I am feeling that is what I need. According to what I can understand it looks like Potassium and Sodium are something I may need more of. My first few weeks I was eating a lot of red meat, so maybe my body was getting enough then. My daughter got sick of the red meat so I have taken a break. I salt all my foods, use salted butter in my cooking, what am I missing? I would love any advice or anything I can try. I want my clear mind and keto energy back!

Magnesium is one that can get low on us. Best remedy is a bath using epsom salts mixed into the water.

(Carpe salata!) #3

I found I needed more sleep after starting keto. I think it’s part of the adaptation because you can’t get a sugar fix to wake you up. Some people use caffeine and/or MCT or XCT oils to get that boost when on keto. I found that getting to bed earlier soon had things back to normal. After I was adapted, my sleep is back to a regular cycle .

(Cassy Downs) #4

I have MCT oil every morning. It kept me going all day. This did not start to happen til after my fast. I feel like they are connected some way.

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Try using ketoaide, here is Brenda Zorn’s recipe.

(Cassy Downs) #6

Ok I made the KetoAide for during my 24 hour fast today, ended up being 26, and I couldn’t drink it. I am not a huge salt fan anyway and it was just too much for me. Is there another way I can get the Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium I need?

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

There are sodium pills that are 1 gram each at most drug stores, you can just swallow those without tasting the salt.
Potassium supplements are usually 99mg. be very careful with potassium. Unless you eat NO green veggies, you probably have enough potassium. Magnesium you can get via baths in epsom salt, supplement pills or magnesium oils you apply to your skin, if you have stomach issues with mag.

Good luck on finding your balance.

(Cassy Downs) #8

Thank you so much!!! I so appreciate the help!!!

Just wanted to echo being careful with potassium. A few years ago I started supplementing with it and had heart palpitations by the third or fourth day. Now I cut a pill (sorry, don’t remember the dose) in half or even quarters and take it only on my fasting days.

(Cassy Downs) #10

Yeah I have only felt the need for anything when fasting. I think I am getting enough in my food when eating that I don’t have to worry about it then.