Help! Stroke information

(Jason) #1

Any information, podcast, link, study etc on post-stroke care with dietary keto/exogenous ketones would be greatly appreciated.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

There are stroke specific research links in this topic

(Stacy Blanchard) #3

I just found this video. I’m traveling to my parents house this next week. My dad had a stroke 7 months ago. I’m planning on trying to get my mom on board to do fasting and Keto. I would love to hear if you have any experience with this.

Hi Stacy, I had a severe ishemic stroke Dec 18, 2016 at age 52. I had been on-and-off keto (about half the time at each) for over a year before the stroke. Once I was recovered enough to start cooking again, I went fully keto. That was the last week of May 2017. I am still fully keto today. I am my own caregiver, and I cook everything from scratch. I’d be happy to answer any questions you or your dad have (or anyone else, too, actually.)

For research/study information, a good place to start is Google Scholar. I have found a whole lot just by searching for “keto stroke” there. I am absolutely convinced that being as keto as I was at the time prevented me from dying from the stroke and also, along with fasting, is helping my recovery.

Maybe I should do an AMA thread about my stroke. I will be happy to, if folks want me to.

(Stacy Blanchard) #5

That is a great outcome. My my dad had a stroke about a month ago. He has gotten his speech back and finally his swallowing back. He is very immobile though. I’m hoping that if I can get them on board to do keto and fasting my dad‘s brain can heal up faster. The therapist feel like he might could walk again but he’s got a long ways to go. And I feel like this might help them get there faster. He’s also 80 but in really physically good shape so he may live a long time and I hate to see him live a long time in a bed.
Do you feel like keto helped you more or fasting? Or do you feel like it was a combination of both?