Help please - How to help someone at risk - Tachycardia

(Jamie Hayes) #1

Here’s a challenge we all face from time to time.

Last Sunday, we had our daughter-in-laws parents to lunch. The father is 66, very large waistline, Tachycardia, and mentioned that his doctor said he was at risk of having diabetes. (No surprise)

He did not express concern. I think it is an aussie “She’ll be right mate.” attitude. The problem is that for about 1 in 3, the first big symptom is death. They don’t “pass Go” (Monopoly phrase).

I think he, like millions of others, has a total disconnect between his food and drink habits, and his current health. It would not surprise me if his doctor contains the conversation to current symptoms, future risk and medications. There’s no discussion about weight, insulin levels and no referral for a Calcium Score test.

My conscience dictates that I’d like to try to help, in a way that would at least open his eyes, and his wife’s, to the fact that they could make simple changes that would improve his life and lessen his risk.

Here’s my question. If there was one video or podcast episode that you felt might wake him up, what would be the one thing you would share?

(Roxanne) #2

Not sure if “the Widowmaker” documentary would help?

Hard question. I’d go by my meeting with him but to an unknown person it’s gotta be this, hands down best single resource for opening people’s eyes:

It’s 90mins though so if he’ll only do 30 mins you could try the condensed version.

Dr. Lustig still lectures on this so I wouldn’t be surprised if he has refined his presentation in recent years and there is an even better version.

(Crow T. Robot) #4

I second the ‘Widowmaker’ film. No film or podcast is going to wake someone up unless they are looking to be woken up and it doesn’t sound like he is. The Widowmaker just might get him to ask for a calcium scan, and if that result scares him enough, then he might start looking to be woken up.

I like this thread and am hoping more people will make suggestions. :heart: