Help me turn a burger into a nice meal for two!

Mmm brick of cheesemild-brick

(Brian) #12

Mmm, mmm!!! So many good thoughts! Thanks very much for replying to my post. :slight_smile:

I think it’s gonna be pretty simple. It’ll be a large burger, I’m leaning towards “stuffed” and only briefly seared off before eating. I picked up some zucchini and have in mind to make some “zucchini fries” even though we both know they’re not even like real french fries. (My wife’s face kinda lit up last night when I mentioned that as a “maybe” for a side.) We do have some “fixin’s” that would go on a burger… lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, that kind of stuff so we could either go “side salad” style, or “build your own” style and be just fine. Slaw is definitely a possibility but I don’t know if I’ll need it this time. It’s easy to overdo and make too much.

Now to work out the timing so that it all happens at just the right time…

:slight_smile:

(Brian) #13

Sophie, that is an interesting slaw recipe. I don’t think I’ve had one that used tomatoes before. Depending upon the tomato, that could add some “acid” to the dish rather than using lemon juice or vinegar, which is pretty common. Gonna have to try that one of these days. (I have a few tomatoes but not quite enough at the moment.)

Thanks for the suggestion! :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

I like roasted brussels sprouts with bacon bits as a side to my naked burgers these days. I also like to top the burger with blu cheese and buffalo hot sauce.

Roasted cauliflower would also be a good side for a burger too.

I have always like cole slaw with burgers anyway, so nice to see a recipe for a new one in here, good topic.

(Brian) #15

Oh, yeah, we like 'em, too. Of late, they usually get cooked and then a little browned butter drizzled over them. Mmmm, mmm. :slight_smile: Good eats. :slight_smile:

(Sophie) #16

Winter tomatoes are ok but the summer 'maters are outstanding! I’ve also noticed that I never have any of it left over, damn carb burners. :smirk:

(Brian) #17

Yes, tomatoes were a challenge. They’re not in season around here and the best I could find were some cherry tomatoes from North Carolina. Hoping they’ll have at least a little tomato flavor. I’m anxiously awaiting tomatoes from the garden but it will probably be July.

Zucchini not being in season either gave me sticker shock. The dang things are like weeds, can’t give 'em away, in the summer time. But now, you’d think they’re made of gold. But I wanted to try out the recipe so I sprang for a couple of small ones anyway.

I’m really hoping I can put some garden stuff in the freezer this year and maybe even get a little greenhouse going. Good food is expensive… but we gotta try anyway. :slight_smile:

(Sophie) #18

I’ve made it with cherry tomatoes. I usually only buy that type in the winter anyway. The rest just taste…red. :confounded:

I place said zucchini in a bag, drop it on an unsuspecting neighbors doorstep and RUN LIKE HELL! I call it a Zucchini Bomb. :blush:

(Marie Dantoni) #19

Try using 2 portobello mushroom caps as the bun. Melt some swiss over it and serve with slaw.

(Brian) #20

LOL!!! That’s one way to get some exercise! :smiley:

(Doug) #21

:smile: At my first glimpse of this thread, I saw, “Help me turn a burglar into a nice meal for two!”

(Ellen) #22

Mozzarella stuffed burgers are pretty tasty :slight_smile:

(Brian) #23

LOL!!! That’s a good one, Doug!

Haven’t taken to cannibalism yet, though.

Reminds me of that old joke…

Two cannibals walking through the jungle:

C.1) “I see missionaries are about $6/pound at the market this week. But hippies are like $26/pound.”

C.2) “Why so much for the hippie?”

C.1) “You ever try to clean one?”

… sorry, couldn’t resist… :smiley:

(Brian) #24

I have several different cheeses. I have some smoked Gruyere, some sharp cheddar, and some pepper jack. I do have some mozzarella, too, but wondered if that might be a little mellow. Still mulling over what might be a good combo.

(Michel Labelle) #25

Skip the fries…

(Brian) #26

Figured I’d update…

Supper was really good! Did the sous vide burgers, stuffed with sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and smoked gruyere. It was tender and juicy and was more complex in it’s flavors than I was expecting. Definitely a success. And it was quite filling as each burger was 1/2 pound of beef.

To go with was typical burger fixin’s but we did decide to just ditch the bun. No need for it. I did make the zucchini fries and they turned out really good, too, actually better than I expected. Just had a little marinara sauce doctored with some extra basil, oregano, and garlic, almost made it like a pizza sauce, warmed for dipping, of course.

My wife decided to just make a simple salad to go with, and that was fine.

To top it off, I made a chocolate cake with whipped chocolate gnash icing and a couple of strawberry slices on top. (Sounds more complicated that it actually is.) It was tiny, only 4" in diameter, two layers. But it was just right for a happy ending to our meal.

Let’s just say we’re stuffed!! LOL!! But it was an awesome dinner. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of the input. I have plenty more ideas to try out next time I want a “burger”. I do think next time, I’ll make smaller portions of everything. But dang, it was some seriously good eats.

Sure appreciate the input! Thanks, everybody!

(Brian) #27

Hey guys n gals,

One more update, it was too interesting not to pass along…

I wrote about our very large meal and what we had. It was really good. We ate more than we should have. But for the most part, it was fairly low carb and was a pretty healthy amount of protein, no idea on the fat, but it was certainly not missing. You knew that part.

Fast forwarding to the next morning, neither of us were hungry so we decided to skip breakfast, though we did have our coffee, with HWC. I was doing the laundry early that afternoon and hadn’t eaten anything. I had also had an… elimination … that morning, so I figured, why not step on the scale and see what it said. It was the lowest weight I’ve recorded in my whole weight loss journey so far. Wow!

This morning’s weight is only a few 10ths of a pound higher than that low and last night’s supper was eating out at Cracker Barrel, no skimping, and extra coffee, but again, quite keto. (Had the trout and a couple of helpings of broccoli, with extra butter.)

It’s weird how I stuffed myself, granted, with good food, not naughty stuff, and shortly after have a new weight low. I don’t plan to do that all of the time but it puzzles me how counter-intuitive some of this stuff is.

KCKO

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #28

Checkout the Show Me Yer Burger string for a visual treasure trove of burger ideas

(KCKO, KCFO) #29

If forgot to mention in my earlier post that to jazz up our burgers, I add bacon bits to burger mix, a tiny bit of onion, one small sweet pepper and egg. Makes the juiciest burgers ever.

(Luc Stew) #30

Made this today. Homemade patties with all the fixings - big iceberg lettuce leaves and thick tomatoe. Paired with a juicy pickle and keto creamy coleslaw. Delish