HELP ! JUST STARTING OUt

newbies

For your size that’s not a lot of calories, protein OR fat! You never want to hit yourself with too much of a deficit at once. You’ll just piss off your system. I was 300 at my worst, I’m 200 now, and no need for turning meals into math class, watch your carbs after a couple weeks when you “detox” you can start trusting your hungry / full signals and as long as you listen, that will be more important than (calculated) macros…except the carbs, those are for real. There can be a time and a place for strictly watching macros, but starting out and mainly doing weight loss, you really don’t need to.

So today, I had my morning protein shake.4c 12F 30P
this week I made myself Greek salads for lunch 8C 43F 31 P
came home had a cheese stick snapped in half/ each half rolled in a slice
of turkey. this turkey contains 1 C per 100 grams.
so I figure 2 C (really less) 25P and 8 F
I am full , had a cup of plain steeped tea and can of flavored fizzed
water (no sweetener)

Is this enough to get the fire burning?

My gut tells me that’s a starvation diet for somebody that weighs 350…I know all of that at once wouldn’t be a single meal for me @200, but if your truly full, then your full.

(Chris W) #24

Here is a typical day for me last week, I was trying to prepare for a fast so I was overdoing to get my metabolism up, as I recall I was mostly satisfied between a and b meals.
The only reason I have this is I was seeing my health coach that day, so I had it on a piece of paper in my jacket pocket.
at that moment in time I was 193.2 lbs 19-20%BF just south of 1900 cal.
my current macros are 123F 117P with a 30% deficit (you should be 0 right now)
I was 18:6 this day
Meal A
2 eggs, 4 pcs bacon, spinach 1 cup, green onions, mushrooms, 2 tablespoons coconut oil(1 in a fat bomb 1 in hot lemon water). 49g F 25g P
I was full
in between a and b
one fat shake, which was 1/2 cup HWC 1/2 almond/coconut milk 1 serving of protein powder( its new and I don’t have that one recorded so its best guess) 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, and a couple almonds for good measure. 40g F 40g P (this may not be exact I use that for simple figuring)

Meal b
2 cheese sticks 1 guacamole cup 1 salmon patty, 1 cup spinach ( no dressing noted but I assume it was evo) 32g F+ 30g P

122g F 96g P for the day and that fat is probably a little low in reality as I tend to be loose with EVO in the morning and I don’t record my every coconut oil cube I take, and anything I may have had extra in the evening(wrote that down in the early afternoon before my appointment).

AS I recall I was not hungry that day after meal b, I was probably even higher the next couple days on fat, that makes your metabolism start to race. If you notice I have no carbs recorded, I know I was at about 15 that day, I am always between 12-15 just because of the food I eat in the combinations.
So now if you are truly not hungry after eating what you did you really need to work on increasing fat intake, I honestly cannot answer how, but my best guess is to do in gradually. I will restate it again, being full, and not wanting to eat are to separate things, you need to be full and ignore the not wanting to eat. At your weight your macros should be higher I want say in the order of 2500 cal but there is a lot of info missing.

Sorry, just to be clear in just starting the keto genic plan so I should
not be trying to achieve a a calories deficit
Just try to shoot for the Macros nad higher fat is important to get the
engine started . I am trying to summarize all the feedbcak I have gotten.
I am trying to catch up on the podcasts too! Thanks so much!

(Chris W) #26

In order of importance and need but mainly importance

20g carbs or less(net or total if you like a challenge)

medium protein too your macro or slightly lower~the more internal damage and the more exercise you do the higher this should be at first IMHO. Once you get moving this will be come old hat and easy.

Fat to Macro(maintain) level the first few weeks or full(satiety) which ever comes first. After that you should always aim for the macro until fat adaption to gain the best metabolic results, when that happens you can play around more without much discomfort as you fat adapt.

Drink lots of water

Increase salt soon after starting, do the math on your potassium and magnesium based on your intake average from your diet. Both can be a problem having too much or too little.

I will add that if you have a sweet tooth I would highly recommend you not use bridge items that contain a lot of stevia or the like. The more I read on the forums the people that seem to have the hardest time also seem to be hooked on the sweet things and use them too much. I had a sweet tooth and until recently swore it all off. Not only have I lost it, when I have sweet things now and again they are almost always too sweet and not so tasty. Hide destroy or burn all the “carbage” in your house if you can. I have a keto cupboard in mine and my daughter has her carb vault.

Do not forget to adjust your macros as your body composition changes, I tried to do it every 10 pounds.

KCKO

(Rob) #27

Yes - good summary! Becoming a keto expert :nerd_face:

Thanks , I really wasnt a sweet person, never drank pop or baked good . My problem is everything I like fat with . like butter on my good local bakery flax seed bread. cream cheese goes on a bagel of course,
stir fry/ brown rice/, hummus/ got have pita chips, i used to make my own.
There it is … that is the heartbreak for me! but I am ok with adjusting my diet for my health… I think I will get the hang of it. There is so much information to absorb. Thanks for the overview it is hard to know where to start. Preparation . I think is key for me … I am going to make my protein mixture for sald to top with cheese / and probably avocado for my weeks worth-of lunch. This makes it easy for me. Breakfast usually a no brainier protein shake , You said you used heavy whip cream? and almond milk. I am justi using coconut milk. I think I am going to grind some almond to add in for this week (almond butter)
Last dumb question … was is fat adaptation ?

(Diane) #29

Here is a really good article regarding ketosis and fat adaption.

Hope this helps!

(Chris W) #30

My normal(not trying to amp my metabolism) shake is 1 scoop of cheap protein powder with the lowest carbs I can find, 1/2 cup of HWC, 1/2 cup of almond/coconut milk(its both), 1 tbsp cocoa powder, a couple almonds,pecans or walnuts depending on what I have laying around, and ice. I ninja it, but what ever blender works best I have those once or twice a week.

I ate eggs, bacon, salmon, spinach, cheese, and sausage for the first few weeks and it worked very well. Try pork rhinds, I eat them when I need something crispy.

Fat adaption will come with time, I would say at least 6-8 weeks but could be more. It is when many of your (but not all) cells are using the fat directly from your bloodstream instead of relying on ketones. That is down the road some start with the dietary changes first.

Thanks for posting that article Dianne, I am a science geeky type so I
really enjoyed the article and the links.
The article says the strips can be a big source of motivation and there is
the flip side of that of course as in my case. I think if I keep good notes
in my food diary. I will survive no matter what color the strips are. I got
fifty of them so I will test in morning with what I have remaining.
Thanks again it was really a good share!!

(Diane) #32

You’re welcome. I’m glad you found it helpful too!