Help! I'm really discouraged

(James) #21

Go full carnivore! It helped me with my aching joints and knees. Along with many other symptoms and weight loss stalls. Don’t let the numbers on the scale discourage you! There have been times when I’ve dropped body fat percentage, but also gained a couple lbs. I wish you the best on your journey!:heart_eyes:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #22

Welcome!
I got discouraged, too. I wasn’t trying to lose weight, but was trying for high ketones for thereputic reasons. I had to watch my protein because I found it easy to over eat meat. Eating salads helped, especially with avacado and a good oil-vineger dressing (not balsamic, too carby for me).

Once I was comfortable with my eating I started fasting and that helped things. Waited until you are more comfortable then maybe try some fasting.

Good luck. You’ve got this!

(Donna Peterkin) #23

Yes! I have definitely been in less pain since I started. Has chronic pain in shoulders, arms and ankles (bartender) and would have to consume copious amounts of OTC pain meds, soak in hot tub every night and still no relief, but then, after starting keto, one day it just occurred to me…”Hey! My parts aren’t aching anymore! I thought I’d be stuck w/that pain forever! When did that happen!!!”. I guess it knocked out some inflammation cuz it’s not like I lost that much, but 10lbs is still 10lbs less I have to carry around.

If a diet is truly making you miserable, then it’s not the right diet for you. For permanent weight loss, a diet has to become a permanent way of eating. This forum is filled with folks who don’t feel deprived by severely limiting carbs. It works for them. But it’s not the only way. There are folks who successfully manage their weight by adhering to a low fat diet. There are folks who do it using a plant based diet. There are folks who do it using a fasting regime. There is no one right way. There’s not even a universal best way. The key to success in anything is figuring out what works for you.

Here’s what works for me. I’m on the LC end of the spectrum, but I eat a ton of vegetables because I think the evidence is compelling that they’re essential to maintaining optimal health. I am not trying to address any major medical conditions that require being extremely strict about my diet, so I don’t obsess about it. I eat all the foods I like, but not all the time. I don’t eat foods I don’t like. Fasting allows the dietary flexibility that I need for long term sustainability.

I always seek to do the least amount necessary to achieve the results that I want. In this case, the least amount of dietary restriction as possible that keeps my A1c < 5.2 and improves my HOMA IR.

(Amanda) #25

I agree x1000!! I watched a show and it said that in the short term it doesn’t really matter which eating protocol you follow, most will help you lose weight and improve some health issues. The best protocol is the one that you can stick with and be successful with long term!

I am sure that others might disagree, but this has given me motivation when I am ready to throw in the towel, or pick up the chips, as the case may be.

also, we’re all your support team :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and i don’t think anyone here sucks.

something that helps me, is to re-watch pro-keto videos or go on instagram and look at everyone else’s success. none of them do it overnight, it takes months and years, and just like everything else on the gram, it may look like things come to other people effortlessly, but guaranteed there were tough days and nights for everyone. just like AA…it works if you work it. hang in there girl. (ps i saw in one of your other posts that your PMSing and for real, that is the hardest time to maintain resolve…i happen to be right there with you today and it sucks. it’ll be over soon!)