Help I'm new

(Suzi Murray) #15

Yes I’m reading lots trying not to get my brain overloaded! I’m not much of an a academic so having to keep it simple to keep motivated. So far this is the way I’ve been eating. Coffywith a teaspoon of coconut oil. Avocado, bacon, a lamb chop with some veggies, I had a raw carrot yesterday but then looked up it was worth 10 carbs, cream, celery with peanut butter, I need some more motivation in food ideas, Greek yoghurt with 4 blueberries as a treat at night. My calorie intake seems high does that matter, but no binging on sugar or carbs like I use to so I’ve gotta be going ok :ok_hand:

(Diana ) #16

Man, I hope you are right about the extra energy coming. I have been low energy for several years, and am hoping the Keto life will help me gain the zip back. I don’t have a lot of weight to lose, but hope to gain other benefits from Keto as well. The weight is coming off, even having only been on this road for about two weeks. Just looking forward to waking up wanting to clean house or pull weeds. I have been taking extra minerals, after I read this issue here.

Yes ma’am, you need to watch those things like carrots. You wouldn’t think vegetables would be so high in carbs, but they are. They can eat up your grams per day, pretty quick. (Pun intended) Also, you mention a treat at night. If you can, try to only eat during your meal time you set. Try not to snack between meals, especially in the beginning. This really helps! … So you can still have the Blueberries and Yoghurt along with anything else you eat, but try to eat it all during your meal time. Either at 12Noon or 6pm. (so you’re presently fasting 16 hrs. right now, which is great. You may soon find, eating OMAD (One meal a day) is all you need, since the hunger seems to just go away as you go along? (It really is strange at first) But this is what I do mostly, and still don’t find myself hungry most the time. :slight_smile:

Also, if you eat enough fats, this will help keep you feeling fuller for longer and help you not to snack. Just eat a decent portion of protein and get some good fats in. As long as you staying under 20g, you will get there quite soon. And as to calories, I would suggest just watching the carbs and not worry about calories. Just get the good fats in, and you can search this forum for good ideas of fat to eat. … I just made a big ole’ Zucchini Lasagna, with meat, zucchini in place of noodles with a couple layers of Mozzarella cheese and sour cream. - Says it’s just under 32 carbs, but my son is taking half, since he just started Keto today. (I just won’t tell him about the Deviled Eggs in the fridge that I made this morning :slight_smile:

(Suzi Murray) #18

So I had a coffee with a tap of coconut oil and a hit chocolate with a tap of butter for breakfast n already my carbs are 12!h

(Cristina Bland) #19

Yes, adding salt to more of your meals could help.

Yes, salt is definitely one you need to stay up on. I do a @Brenda KetoAide twice a day. Once in the morning, once late evening. KetoAide homemade

You will hear a lot of folks here also say they suck on salt throughout the day, and I do sometimes as well. But I also like using pickles for this. Dill pickles are very good and high in sodium. 3 ounces will only be 2.61 carbs but will provide 1089 in sodium and 99 Potassium. … I was just eating some Kosher Petite Dills with my dinner. They are still only 1g per ounce, so just 3 ounces (6/7 pickles) will give you 910 sodium.

(Taleisha Collins) #21

It might be the chocolate … try some KetoBark by ChocZero … found it through Keto Connect on YouTube … and it’s a nice treat. I save it for the monthly uterus hissy fit week… but the numbers are not bad.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

I don’t have any zip, but that’s fine by me, because what I do have is a steady supply of energy, instead of the nasty fatigue I had been suffering until I went keto. This means I can spend four hours mowing the lawn, without having to spend the next couple of days in bed resting up. It may not feel like a lot of zip, but boy will I take it!

(Leslie) #23

Off topic for this thread but I have to tell you that I have been keto since December ‘17 and find that these days I cannot sleep more than seven hours whereas I used to NEED eight and a half minimum to function. This lifestyle has altered every aspect of my life.
I go to bed at midnight I don’t roll over even once during the night and I wake up at 0730 feeling like a freaking kid! Get up and go!

(Leslie) #24

Yay, kosher dill pickles!

Yep, one of the best ways to get that extra salt. Only second to Bacon! :slight_smile: … Think there is something around 140g sodium per slice on average. (But depends on brand, cut, etc.) Plus the good fat you get too! (Win Win)

(Leslie) #26

Everything you are being offered on this thread is GREAT information. I’m sure you will find your way to success.

I want to address the issue of processed foods.
So, we all love yummy stuff like mayo, cream cheese, yogurt, salad dressings, even cottage cheese or sour cream. But one might be shocked at what goes into these items
I noticed you like Greek yogurt. This might be fine when counting total carbs but there may ingredients in these products that cause more problems than we realize.
For instance: the cottage cheese I prefer has two ingredients, cream and salt. However, in the very next case to the left of my favorite are three or four brands that cost one third as much and have twenty ingredients including thickeners, preservatives, and oils that change there composition and effect on metabolism once ingested.

I know that you have learned a lot today. I know that you are taking in a lot of information in a short period of time but I must caution you about ingesting anything that’s not whole, or single ingredient food.

I hope you find this helpful

(Empress of the Unexpected) #27

On keto - 9 blissful hours of sleep. I work at home so I can do this.

(Suzi Murray) #28

thanks guys I love the support!!! I’m feeling motivated and even had my first bullet coffee today. So excited about not feeling hungry all the time or craving sugar!

(Suzi Murray) #29

So is feeling a bit light headed due to lack of salt is that what people are saying?

(Jane) #30

Yes. Salt is not evil like you have been brainwashed into thinking it is.

It is YOUR FRIEND

@Janie. RE salt, that is good to hear. I am still VERY careful w/ it, from long habit, because I take meds for HTN, including a diuretic. Therefore, I pee a lot. I used to eat a banana daily for potassium and have given it up since starting the keto WOE. However, I am starting to salt my food more, to make sure I am not deficient. In fact, I had a lovely steak last night where I used a lot of salt (and pepper) as well as some butter. Strangely enough, this morning my BP was quite low (for me) and I had NO swelling in my hands and feet that I would normally get pre-keto. I also had great energy during my walk this morning!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

You will probably find it advisable to stay in touch with your doctor. Your blood-pressure medication may well have to be reduced or even eliminated as you proceed with your ketogenic diet, or you might find yourself suffering from blood pressure that is too low.

(Jane) #33

You can get potassium using Lite Salt or No Salt in addition to sodium from table salt.

The keto diet is naturally diuretic, which is why we have to supplement because our electrolytes get flushed out.

Paul is right about keeping in touch with your doctor in case your meds need adjusting.

I’m checking my BP daily so I can stay on top of it. So far I haven’t made any changes because my BP hasn’t dropped low enough to do so. Definitely will discuss w/ my Dr. when I see him next.