Hello new journey Am I not eating enough?

(Betsy) #1

Hey everyone I started this Keto journey 7 days ago and Im worried im not eating enough fats, because I’m barely hungry I eat about one or two meals a day. I was wondering if this will affect me going into ketosis?

Thanks I’m very glad I found this forum!!

Ketosis is driven by the amount of carbs you eat.

If you’re trying to lose weight, no need to eat “enough” fats. You just want to eat enough to keep you from being hungry.

(Running from stupidity) #3

Nope, that’s controlled by carbs. But not eating enough will slow down your metabolic rate.

Whatcha talking bout willis.
When starting out you need fats.
When you eat eat until you are comfortably full.
If your not hungry don’t eat.

Yup. I have plenty stored up. No need for me to eat enough fats to match some online macro calculator.

Correct. Which is why the OP doesn’t need to eat enough fats to reach some macro goal. They said they were barely hungry.

(Candy Lind) #7

That’s exactly what some people would say, but I’m not giving up my butter! :crazy_face: Protein is a subject of contention. Don’t confuse the beginner! :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

There are also essential fats, ω-3 and ω-6, to be precise. So just as we need some protein each day, in order to get all the essential amino acids, we need to eat some fat, in order to get the essential fatty acids.

Also, it pays to consider where the calories are coming from. Protein stimulates insulin production, albeit at half the rate of carbohydrate, and low insulin is a primary goal of this way of eating. Since fat hardly stimulates insulin production at all (certainly a lot less than carbohydrate and protein do), it is the safe source of energy, if we want to keep insulin low. Hence the recommendation to keep protein moderate and eat fat to satiety.

Note that that is "fat to satiety," not “fat in excess.” Just saying. :bacon:

(Betsy) #9

Thank you everyone for your replies I will take them all into consideration. I do intermittent fasting also and sometimes when it’s the time frame to eat I am still not hungry but I have read multiple times to just listen to my body and eat when hungry which is what I will do😊

(MelissaH) #10

@Beelove listening to your body is exactly what you should be doing. So just keep it up! If you have a lot of weight to lose you don’t need gobs of fat everyday. Eat real food, and keep carbs low you’ll get there.

Says he didn’t start losing weight until he cut protein and increased his fats. Just goes to show you that it’s different for everyone