Heavy cream yogurt

(Anna) #1

I made homemade yogurt with heavy cream. Zero carbs. It did not set up like yogurt made with half and half. I gave it 24 hours to culture. Tart but not as much as sour cream. Fantastic on cooked cabbage or spinach! Is this excepted on KETO?

Absolutely. I used heavy whipping cream with sour cream starter and let it culture for a few days in glass jars.

(Wenchie) #3

that sounds great.

I use very creamy Quark (40% fat) and mix it with cream (30% fat) and add a little cinamon to it to smoothen it up. Love it, but it still has some carbs so I don`t have it much :relaxed:

(Adam Hagen) #4

Sounds great, it’s more like creme fraiche than yogurt if it’s made with heavy cream however. It probably didn’t thicken because the bacteria didn’t have as much lactose to feed on but it cultured so it got the sour flavor as it sat at higher than refrigerator temperatures. I made my last batch of kefir with half raw milk half raw cream, all of the cream rose to the top and looks delicious!

Here’s a fantastic thread on the subject where I learned how to make creme fraiche

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #6

Girl I just bought 4 pints to start s new batch. Culturing on counter now!

(Anna) #7

So is what I made yogurt? And if so, does it not have carbs since I used heavy cream? Sometimes when I need something to address my hunger, I take about 2 helping tablespoons and it “calms” my brain down.

I think yogurt culture requires heat, and sour cream or creme fraiche can be cultured at room temperature. Either way, it’s some sort of culture happening. The carbs in the heavy cream variety would be almost carb free (depending if the cream you used was almost carb free to begin with). Read the label of the package the cream was in…was it pure cream, or other ingredients, like dextrose?

(Anna) #9

The heavy cream was certainly zero carb. No sugars whatsoever. Even my dog loves it. Now to see if the cat likes it.

(Adam Hagen) #10

If you cultured it at room temperature, that would be creme fraiche. If you cultured it at 100ish degrees, that would be yogurt-like. Creme fraiche is typically made with heavy cream and a small amount of buttermilk to inoculate the cream with the live bacteria to feed on and thicken the cream, it is then placed at room temperature until a desired consistency/flavor is achieved. You could also then churn this cultured cream into cultured butter if you felt so inclined. Yogurt is typically made with milk and a small (1tbsp or so) of live culture yogurt and is kept at a higher temperature than room temperature, typically over 100 degrees.

If you are interested in any/everything fermented I would suggest Sandor Katz book The Art of Fermentation. It’s essentially an in depth text book on anything fermented and cultured.

(Julie Anderson) #11

I use my Excalibur dehydrator to make yogurt. I have never made a batch entirely from heavy cream, but I may need to give it a try. I typically use a quart of whole organic milk and a pint of heavy cream. This is heated to @ 180. After the temperature drops to 115, I pull out a cup of the mixture and stir in 2 tablespoons of my favorite yogurt (or the last batch I made if I have been in yogurt making mode). I usually start with the Trader Joes Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt.

Stir the cup with the starter back into the rest of the batch and fill jars. I put the jars in the Excalibur at 110 F overnight (or until they set up.

I second the recommendation on The Art of Fermentation. It’s one of my kitchen staples.

Julie

(bulkbiker) #12

Sorry but HWC is not completely carb free so far as I know it has about 2.8g of carb per 100ml . That is from the lactose in the cream. Even the UK Double cream which has even more fat content than the US HWC has some carbs too. The UK version is 50% fat but still has 1.6g of carbs per 100ml.

I’m thinking what would be the lowest carb homemade yogurt? I’m looking for a Greek yogurt consistency. Would I be able to take heavy cream, add water? I’m thinking all heavy cream would make it too thick, added water might dilute taste a bit. If it needs a little more sweetness afterwards, add a little monk fruit or berries? Is this plausible?

(Sophie) #14

I use the best whole milk I can find/afford to make my yogurt. I use Dannon Greek for my culture (because it’s easy to find) and I incubate it for 24hrs. in my microwave next to a container of scalding hot water, because it’s enclosed and works great. If I want to ditch extra carbs and have a thicker consistancy, I take a bowl and a strainer lined with a coffee filter, and let it strain in the fridge for anywhere from 8-24hrs to remove the whey.

(Anna) #15

Alton Brown has an interesting episode on making yogurt.
Look it up.

I have used heavy cream to make yogurt and it is very creamy.

Anna

(Garry (Canada)) #16
  1. Use 2 litre whole milk and a probiotic yogurt starter.
  2. Incubate for 18hrs in 6qt instant pot. (or similar)
  3. Drain for 16-24hrs. (To your liking)

I’ve tried using HWC, 1/2-1/2, etc, and the best outcome for my preference is plain old whole milk and straining. Outcome is very creamy low carb with almost no whey = Perfect!

Here’s the Strainer and Starter links.

(Sophie) #17

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Sophie) #18

Whey = Carbs
Love to see that go down the drain, but they say plants benefit from it. Not sure on that one.

(Anna) #19

Amazing

(Mariah) #20

I made a gallon of “yogurt” using only Heavy Whipping Cream in my Instant Pot using the cold start method since it is Ultra Pasteurized already. It is VERY THICK almost cream cheese thick. I cultured it with Live Culture Fage Zero Yogurt. I eat it like yogurt (8oz). I can’t figure out what the nutrition values are. Carbs are 0, but what about fat and calories. I think I may need to not eat it for breakfast every morning any more. :cry: Help!!