Headaches? Possible Adrenal Fatigue?

(Genevieve Biggs) #1

I’ve tried asking this in natural healing groups on facebook, but I didn’t get as much help as I was hoping.

I get headaches every time I sit down to do my work. I’m a graduate student, so my life depends on reading and writing. I can read Keto and health articles/books/blogs for hours. I can read facebook (and now KF.com) for hours. I can write long FB arguments. No problem. But when I turn to my school work, instant headache. I’ve used that as an excuse to take a break, and let the headache go away. Once I feel better, turn back to work–headache again!

The problem is with this pattern, I do less and less work, and then it builds up before the deadline. Which makes the stress worse. I know that it is a stress related headache. I’m wondering if it is adrenal fatigue, but I don’t want to be a hypochondriac and I don’t have a reliable doctor locally that won’t just prescribe pills.

So Keto has pretty much healed (or is healing) fatigue and brain fog. So it can’t be hidden sugars or starches or what not. It’s not dietary because it’s not a constant headache. It is only when I’m working. Only.

I can’t not do my work. My livelihood depends on it. I’ve already done nothing for nearly 10 days, and it’s about time to get back to it.

What can I do for stress related headaches that is not popping a pill? I would prefer to not take NSAIDs unless it is an emergency. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

(Jennie) #2

Not stress related, but when my electrolytes are low, I get a headache. Clearly not what you’re describing, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Also, I think one of the dudes mentioned in a podcast that a teaspoon of coconut oil helped with brain work since using the brain uses so much energy and the oil bypasses a few systems for immediate energy.
I’ll follow this for sure for the info that rolls in. Good luck!

(Genevieve Biggs) #3

Coconut oil gives me headaches too. :cry:

(Kathy Swanson) #4

With stress related conditions I have found mindfulness techniques helpful. I suggest Heart Math. There are smart phone tools to help with bringing stress down. I wish I could recall the app names. But a search should point you in the right direction.

(Jennie) #5

Oh, that’s no good! I wonder if a MCT oil would give you headaches too? It has the medium chain triglycerides for fuel but isn’t coconut oil. You have me stumped, but I’m hoping you can find some answers! :slight_smile:

(Genevieve Biggs) #6

MCT doesn’t give me headaches, but I don’t feel the brain boost that others do when I take it. :confused:

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

I know this isn’t helpful but it sounds like you need a job that you love. Going through life with a job causing this much stress would not be fun.

(Kathy Meyer) #8

As a former graduate student (thank goodness), I immediately noticed that it is reading for school that causes the problems. This is the stress that comes from the myriad of expectations required of a graduate student. In my opinion, no one should have to go through that experience, as I know it was pretty much hell for me. This is not something that others could understand, but I think the best you can do it try and manage your work, your expectations, and your stress. If you get an instant headache every time you go back to school work, that is a negative association that will only get worse, and you may feel like you need to self-medicate yourself if you continue down this path. So if you are sure you want to continue in this direction (are the headaches telling you something?), maybe some guided meditation or mindfulness meditation is the way to go.

It just seems from what you are saying, that it’s not the physical that you need to work on (although I’d stay on a ketogenic diet for sure), but the mental.

I wish you luck – I know how difficult graduate school can be.

(Jennie) #9

Well bummer. That stinks. I hope you can find some answers.
I wish I knew more about stress related headaches.

(Meri) #10

My Naturopath put me on a supplement to manage cortisol and adrenal fatigue. It contains adaptogenic herbs, and has been extremely beneficial for me. It’s called HPA Adapt, and you can find it on Amazon. I also practice yoga and try to do some meditative stress buffering on a regular basis. My stress is caused by parental health situations and me being a caregiver, so I can’t opt out of the situation either. Good luck!!

(Genevieve Biggs) #11

I’ll look for that. Thanks!