Headache and wanting to give up

(Karla Sykes) #1

Today I had a really bad headache and I wanted to give up on the keto diet / lifestyle. So I start doing some research on why I was feeling so terrible and it is because I had cut my cards and my protein didn’t increase my fat. So I made a fat Rich dinner chicken thighs, garlic, lemon juice squeeze from lemon, and seasoned it.

(Susan) #2

That is great; Karla, it looks really good =). Don’t give up, you have all of us to encourage you and you need to do this to show your family you will do it this time and keep it off!! You can do this =).

(Karla Sykes) #3

I’m so glad I didn’t give up today I just simply research and seen what I was doing wrong. I remember the first time I did this when I lost 50 lb I made sure I Incorporated my fat and I never felt deprived

(Joey) #4

@Karla_Sykes Sorry to hear you’ve been feeling down with a headache. As your profile indicates you’ve been on keto quite a while and have lost considerable weight, my being a newbie probably doesn’t position me to add much to what you’ve already experienced firsthand. But here are a few quick thoughts…

As far as attributing your headache to not having increased your fat: perhaps it’s just unclear what the ingredients in your recipe include, but that photo doesn’t look particular “high fat” from here.

I wonder if you’ve caught the “fear of fat” that many of us have picked up as a result of years of folks drumming such dietary cautions into our heads? I’m thinking that a (bunless) bacon-cheese-burger with an avocado on the side would be far more fat-filled than a glazed (skinless?) chicken with greens.

But it’s also not obvious to me why the lack of fat would necessarily lead to a headache? I’d suspect lack of hydration and salt as a more obvious cause.

Hope you’re feeling better soon. Thoughts about this?

(Karla Sykes) #5

My headache went away. But I made these chicken thighs with skin and a buttery sauce and I also use that sauce to top my cabbage. It was really good and I felt immediately satisfied and it was really really rich sauce. I feel like it was a nice flavorful fattening meal but who knows I felt really good. I don’t think I got the fear of fat but I have been fasting. I think it’s just I’m starting back in this new lifestyle after losing 50 lbs and then gaining it all back. But I’m doing good and I’m back on track. This time around I won’t deprive myself of things that I really miss because that cost me to go off this lifestyle.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #6

I’m glad that helped! Another thing to think about is salt. :salt::salt::salt:

(Karla Sykes) #7

Okay thanks for the great advice

(Joey) #8

Sounds like you’re back on track. Best wishes!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

Whenever you get a headache, thigh or upper arm cramps, racing heart or feel off while in Ketosis do what Joey suggested, hydration and salt. I’m not a salt water drinker like many here, so now and then I don’t get enough salt. As soon as you feel off do this. Usually the feeling goes away in just a few minutes for me. I get those pink Himalayan Rocks for grinders. Take about 1/4 tsp or 3G. if you have a kitchen scale. If you try more at once it may cause a few minutes of stomach burning pain so don’t overdo it. Drink a big glass of water with it. Fat shortage usually makes me feel hungry and maybe low energy.

(Karla Sykes) #10

Okay I will try this the next time I get a headache

(hottie turned hag) #11

A meme of David’s head fixes everything! :smiley: :heart_eyes:

Agree it was prob salt/electrolytes issue. Known to cause headaches.