Hashimoto's on ZC

hashimotos
zerocarb
health

(Erica) #1

Hello all, I’ve been enjoying this woeing for about 2 weeks now and feel fantastic. Was hoping to get feed back from anyone with Hashimotos, have you been able to reduce or stop your medication since following zc? What positive changes in your condition have you seen? :blush:

(Chris) #2

Unfortunately the thyroid is still mysterious to me, and I am not too certain about other folks on ZC, but with that said I know Megan Ramos from IDM has spoken numerous times of fasting helping with her Hashimoto’s.

That last part of the sentence could be BS, and I’m retracting it for now ^^

(Erica) #3

I don’t mind being the guinea pig :blush: my hope is that this woe will heal my thyroid enough to not need medication. My next thyroid check isn’t for 6months but if anything changes I will be happy to post about it for anyone else that has the condition.

(sue) #4

Wait are you sure about that? I’ve listened to Megan talk quite a lot but don’t remember her ever saying she had Hashimoto’s?

(Chris) #5

I think you got me there, she must’ve just mentioned the disease so many times I automatically attributed it. My mistake.

If you have Hashimoto’s and are taking Rx for your hypothyroid condition, you are technically not taking ‘meds’ but supplemental hormones to replace those your thyroid is unable to produce.

Please don’t expect any dietary plan to ‘fix’ your thyroid. Hashi’s is an autoimmune condition that attacks and kills thyroid cells.

The most you can expect is to remain stable, but my understanding (from excellent endos) is that the thyroid does not regenerate, so taking supplemental hormones will be for life.

(Steve Stephenson) #7

That’s a hypothesis, a.k.a., a conjecture. We learn in high school geometry that one counter example disproves a conjecture.
Isn’t this a counter example to the quoted hypothesis?:

For millions of years our ancestors ate all meat diets (with fat):

Their food was our ancestors only “medicine”. Certainly an all meat diet was beneficial to the Inuit:

All scientific studies have been done on carb burners, not meat eaters. So we don’t know if eating only meat is curative and/or preventative; except in the historical record that repeatedly shows meat eaters were healthier than plant eaters.
Other examples where long-held beliefs are being challenged are:

No Need To Supplement

The article on thyroid ‘regeneration’ used a surgical intervention. There is no real evidence of normal thyroid regeneration beyond this specific intervention.

My comment about thyroid NOT regenerating was not ‘conjecture,’ but standard medical opinion–which is clear from this article.

(Naomi Brewster) #9

Hi there - I have hashimotos and am having mixed results with hashi/thyroid TSH though disclaimer I am not ZC my carb intake is about 20grams per day so may not be pertenant to your question. My TSH is elevated after 8 months keto. I have recently looked in iodine supplementation but it paramount to also be Supp with selenium together with iodine to assist with autoimmune antibodies.

I had my thyroid tested in November and started Iodine Supp in December so still too early to know if made a difference or not.

(Deborah) #10

I know someone who’s thyroid regenerated and amazed his doctor. But he said the only thing he did different in his diet was to add one tablespoon of CO to his coffee in the morning. He basically ate a regular diet.

(Short224) #11

Dr Berry’s wife has hashimotos look them up she’s actually off all her medicine Neishalovesit on you tube .

(Neal) #12

For those that are too lazy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi4Oe19KFGU