Hashimoto's and Keto

conversationstarters
newbies

Just wondering if there are some people on here with keto success stories while also having Hashimoto’s? I was diagnosed a few years ago, and I’ve got a million other things going on other than my new-found keto lifestyle right now (7 months postpartum, have had 3 illnesses in 2 months being the most prominent) but I can’t seem to find that energy that everybody is talking about on keto. Also my TSH keeps increasing meaning my medication needs to be increased as well just for me to feel normal. I have a blood ketone meter so I know for a fact that I’ve been in ketosis (lowest has been .8 highest has been 3.8) for at least the past 12 days. I know that becoming fat adapted and feeling your best takes time, but I guess I’m just looking for some encouragement from people who have seen an improvement in their Hashimoto’s symptoms or reduction in medication. Thanks in advance!

I have Graves Disease (pretty much the opposite of Hashimotos) but it caused me to have my thyroid totally removed so I guess you could say I’m not in the same category as Hashimotos - my TSH is being regulated strictly by meds since I have no thyroid).

Something caused my TSH to shoot up real high a few months ago and I connected it to my having given up gluten. We got my TSH back down by increasing the meds and I’m due to have it checked again in a few weeks.

So yes, this way of eating can necessitate the need for increased Synthroid, but that’s easy enough to do.
Sue

Thanks, Susan. I guess I was hoping that by removing inflammatory foods like gluten, my TSH would improve rather than regress. I know deep down I need to give it more time and that long-term this is the right lifestyle for me, but it’s been difficult to see the opposite effect happening initially. Hope you’ve been feeling better since they regulated your meds!

(Athena) #4

I have Hashimoto’s. I started Keto August 2, 2017 and have lost 51lbs. I take 180mg of NPThyroid and that hasn’t changed since starting Keto. This is a great site for thyroid information: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/

You just had a baby 7 months ago and your body, along with hormones, are still changing from that. Give it time.

Thanks, Athena. I’m so happy you’ve had such great success with keto! And thank you for the website recommendation. I will heed your advice and keep the mantra “KCKO” going in my head.

I have Hashimoto’s also. I started keto November 2nd and lost 5 pounds the first week. Unheard, of since I only lost 7 pounds in 2 years on AIP. I did a long extended fast in December and all my autoimmune symptoms went away. I do not take prescription thyroid meds but take otc desiccated thyroid. I haven’t been tested yet to see where my numbers are but I feel better than I have in over a decade. I think pregnancy and birth are so hard on your body and if you are nursing that takes a lot out of you. Your body is taking it’s time healing and it may take time for you to see the results. With hashimoto’s you may need to eliminate dairy. Later when you are farther out from birthing your baby and no longer nursing I would think an extended fast would be worth trying. I did mine with the intention of healing my disease and while it’s too early to tell if I did, i sure feel amazing right now. Enjoy your baby and just keep feeding yourself highly nutritious foods. Make sure you are getting in liver at least once a week, it will help replace some of the minerals you have lost.

Thanks for the encouragement! I keep hearing about liver being the most nutrient rich food out there, I think I need to figure out a recipe that I’m actually able to tolerate (lol). And yes I’ve eliminated dairy from my diet as well, I heard that gluten and dairy are the #1 things to cut out when trying to tackle symptoms of Hashimoto’s. Glad to hear your symptoms have improved, hopefully with time and diligence mine will too :slight_smile:

(margot) #8

The best thing you can do with liver is make a smooth and creamy or coarse farmhouse style pâté! Have it on cucumber slices or celery, cheese crisps or keto crackers if you prefer something crunchy.

Ohhh I love pate! Thank you for this suggestion!!