Has Lustig moved towards us?

(Clare) #21

I know exactly what you mean - however, at population levels - which is what Lustig is campaigning about - sugar is the easiest big beast.
When you see the damage being done by soda and supposedly healthy bloody juice, you can see his point.
I know how I eat for me and I know the compromises I make with my family to do the best I can for them.
I think Lustig is taking a population level view of what can be done to minimise damage.
And targeting sugar has to be the first step.

If you’re not diabetic you can eat more veg and some fruit and be fine. That’s my path. I love veggies and I get away with a higher carb count than some because I was tubby rather than fat when I started down this route and I am very active.
I thank my lucky stars that I found this when I did - my mother is obese and diabetic and I am toiling to get her to understand and change. It pains me to say this but not everybody is capable of making the changes we have made. My mum seems incapable of understanding what a carbohydrate actually is. I’ve tried giving her lists, it only goes so far.
So society level change is needed and that has to be legislated and more general.

There’s a couple of pieces of advice I got from Lustig’s book in particular that have stayed with me - don’t go down the middle aisles in the supermarket because that’s where all the shite is and don’t feel overly pleased with yourself if you’re checking ingredients labels. If your food has an ingredient label, it’s processed.

So I forgive him his lack of keto purity - he’s going the same way we are but he’s on a slightly different path.

(ianrobo) #22

the last few posts show though he is moving. On the link I posted he starts to talk about carbs and moves away from just sugar, for him that is a shift.

Maybe he hides his true views for whatever reasons and some good ones mentioned here. However his public position is moving away from just big sugar etc.

(ianrobo) #23

things are changing … maybe one for @richard & @carl to podcast on and this is where the general consensus has changed.

(Clare) #24

wow!

Yes…this is what I observe, too. I read Lustig’s ground breaking book years ago. Even though I didn’t agree with 100%, I still loved it and recommended it to others. I even wrote him a “fan letter”, thanking him for the book and the wonderful work he is doing to improve the metabolic ailments in society. He emailed me back thanking me for my email. That made me smile :blush:

It’s funny how Gary Taubes is moving closer to sugar, and Dr Lustig is instead moving closer toward carbs. In a recent panel discussion a few months ago, Taubes and Lustig were teasing each other about the shift both were making. I loved it! Two brilliant “show me the science” guys having a go and being so genuine about it.

(Terri) #26

Do you recall what talk this was? I would like to listen to it if it is available.

let me search for it. It was in California, a couple of months ago.

Hey @Terri
It took me a long time to find this talk…here you go…some disagreement on the panel (consisting of 4 people, including Dr Lustig and Gary Taubes)…but, a very interesting panel conversation to listen to. I love it when very intelligent “show me the science” people are on a panel, can still disagree with each other, but still have an intelligent conversation. It shows that they can discuss without getting their ego inflated…because this is what they need to change their mind if the science tells them to go in a different direction in the future.

(Clare) #29

Thanks so much for sharing this - really interesting.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #30

Lustig looks a bit skinnier than when I first saw him speak some years ago, so maybe he really has moved towards LCHF/keto … :slight_smile:

(Clare) #31

lol - I noticed that too!

(Mike Glasbrener) #32

Thanks for the video. Public policy and best individual health are likely different goals.

(ianrobo) #33

thats an excellent point as he was criticised from saying sugar bad and yet he was ‘fat’ I hope thats not the reason he has lost some ?

(Clare) #34

I suspect his own understanding of the issue has forced changes in his diet which have gradually improved his metabolism.
He’s spoken very honestly about having picked up poor eating habits due to his working hours when he was younger. It takes a bit of time to reverse these things as we all know.

That’s what I really love about Dr Lustig. He doesn’t bullshit. Tells it as it is as he sees and understands it. If he learns to do something better, he does it, and moves on. Ego doesn’t enter into the decision-making.