Has anyone tried making their own Nutriketo style drink powder?

(DougH) #1

I eat a pretty whole food die, lots of eggs, steak, some organ meats. Lots of salad with fatty sugar free type dressings.

But I also like to have a meal shake to add to some of my meals and lower the volume I need to eat on my feast days (I fast two to three days a week and feast the others).

All of the keto type shakes, like Nutriketo tasty and convenient, but they are far from cheap.

Has anyone tried to source in bulk some ingredients that they could use for their own shakes.

I am thinking the following would be a good base:
Grass fed butter powder
MCT oil powder
Egg yolk powder
Protein source, maybe egg protein, collagen, or some combo.

Probably more trouble than it is worth, but I am getting tired of “drinks” that come out of a 30+ dollar bag.

(Polly) #2

I am sorry, I just don’t understand why you would consume a “shake” rather than eat real food.

(DougH) #3

I eat them with the whole food.

Most of my meals are filled with great whole foods, but I don’t always want to supersize the portions when I can add another 300 calories in with a drink.

I have a different focus with my keto than someone who is pre-diabetic or looking to lose a lot of weight.

I don’t get much added benefit for adding another 8 ounces of good grass fed meat on top what I already have on the plate. It is simply another way of filling the remaining calories with fat.

(UsedToBeT2D) #4

I agree with Polly1. Just eat until satisfied. Much simpler and cheaper. But if you like the powder, go for it. I believe all of the commercial Keto stuff just is not worth the price.

(Allie) #5

Never looked at anything ready made but have been known to make my own mix using protein powder (sometimes whey, sometimes a vegan blend just for variety) or raw eggs from my hens, oil (normally EVOO but sometimes MCT), collagen, greens powder, spirulina, or whatever else powder I’m experimenting with at the time.

These days I find it easier just to blend a raw egg or two with my fatty coffee, have done this with whey protein too but it goes lumpy which is nasty :neutral_face:

But 300 kcal is super tiny in volume if it’s mostly fat… Many people just add a bit of butter. Or drink a coffee with lots of cream (and/or some other fat). I eat some sour cream if I need some calories without the satiating effect. If I want a satiating tiny 300 kcal extra food, I can grab some cheese and sausage too. The volume isn’t much at all. Sometimes I wonder what I would do with a 4-5000 kcal energy need and 100g protein need on carnivore… But adding 300 or 1000 kcal more? That’s quite easy.

If you do want a shake (I actually can imagine wanting to get some calories easier than eating solid food…), I guess you should experiment yourself as tastes are different. But a starting point may be helpful… I don’t drink such things, I only have egg milks and coffees. Eggs (I used to use only the yolk, nowadays it’s the whole egg. I can afford eating raw egg whites whenever I want. but one can use powder I suppose, I never had such a thing though, I don’t know how that works. I enjoy the creaminess of my yolks), cream, coffee or cocoa or just some vanilla, water… It’s very easy to put 300 kcal into a big mug without using pure fat that I dislike in my drinks. Easy to drink, nice tasting, warm… I like that. The perfect mug would have a lot of whipped cream too… But that’s way over 300 kcal. Yeah, I am a sweet toothed one (even though I almost never use sweetener but it has cream and it’s sweet due to the sugar in it) but I made egg milks with vinegar and spices too.

An easy way to drink (or almost drink) 300 kcal is consuming a few very soft-boiled eggs as long as someone likes that. I do and I often use it to make my meals bigger. I just can’t eat a full meal using 1-2 dishes, it would be boring or too expensive. So I like these additions.

Because many of us don’t have time for that every meal, that stuff is a scam either way but fast nutrition is a must for many.

Scam, just checked that place out, $47 for 16 shakes that are just by the macro breakdown more MCT than anything with nearly non existent protein? NOPE!

Grab a 5lb tub of a quality Whey protein blend (or isolate if you prefer), get one that you like the taste, mix it up, throw in a scoop of MCT powder and take a good multivitamin. TADA! That’s all that thing is minus paying 4x what it’s worth.

You’re looking at over $100 to get you 1 shake a day for a month, that’s completely insane.

(Scott) #9

Mixing a bunch stuff together almost sounds like processing. I will let the animal do that for me.

If you’re just looking to add some fat Cals, drink heavy cream with some sweetener and a flavor extract of your choice. I like to thin it out a tad with a little water. That’s what I do.

(Jane) #11

I used to add whey protein to coffee years ago but you have to add it after you add cream or cool down some coffee to mix it in first if you don’t use cream.

It’s the heat that clumps the whey and yes - very nasty.

(Jane) #12

Your mix sounds good to me. I’ve read other posts from those who also have trouble consuming enough calories in their OMAD, so this makes sense to me.

(Allie) #13

Thanks I’ll remember that @Janie

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #14

No, to the OP question. I do, however, make my own keto mix for my morning liter of coffee. I drink cold brew coffee made in a 4.5 liter glass vase I bought at Sally Anne and a 74 micron hopper I bought from Arborfab.

My ‘keto coffee’ recipe (makes one liter): http://soho-espace.com/keto-meals-log/2020-03-16-meal-1.png

Note, since I posted this I have increased my ingredients by 1.25x (except the coffee). I found the original recipe did not quite get me halfway through a work shift at Walmart, so increased it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

The way I resolved this issue is very simple. If you look at the ingredients in my mix above, you will see that I use two different whey powders and hydrolyzed collagen. I mix these in a quart/liter mason jar. I measure my various fats other than cream into a small measuring cup. I then warm the fat mix in the microwave for 30 seconds. I add the cream to the fat mix then pour the fat mix onto the dry mix and stir it until it’s a smooth paste. I add the coffee to this paste. Coffee and mix blend easily with no lumps, although I also use my countertop blender because I like the creamy/foamy result. If you don’t want to bother using a blender you can mix the coffee and paste very vigorously by hand or an aerolatte, but not in the coffee cup!

Note: if you attempt to warm cream in a microwave be aware that it will foam up very quickly! That’s why I add cold cream to my other warmed fats. You might imagine how I know this.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #16

If you want a simpler mix that you can add with cream directly to coffee, this works well:

I used the collagen variety when I made my so-called ‘away mix’ (CB Collagen and whipping cream) when I needed to buy coffee on the way to work rather than prepare it at home. I don’t make this mix anymore since I decided to get up earlier enough to make my home mix and blend.

Hello Doug,
Been making my own protein shake mix for years because I don’t like additives / fillers / sugar.
Here is what I bought, followed by how to make one shake. I use a NINJA professional 900 watts.
I typically make up a quart container of the mix and it seems to keep quite well.

Ingredients:
“Rose acre farm “ egg white protein powder, best price is from them directly.
Vita cost brand psyllium husk powder
Dark Cocoa powder ( sugar free )
I also use “bulk supplements “ stevia & occasionally their bovine collagen too.
Milk : So delicious organic sugar free coconut milk ( target sells inexpensively & delivers)
( as your goal is adding fat , you would improvise here , adding powdered fat , cream or oil.)

Recipe
Chocolate protein shake
12-16 Oz coconut milk
3-4 ice cubes
3 scoops ( heaping T ) protein powder
1 heaping T cocoa powder
1 Tad Stevia ( I bought set of small stainless measuring spoons on Amazon, as bulk supplements stevia is not cut with fillers like “stevia in the raw” so a little goes a very long way )
1T physillum husk powder
Optional T collagen powder

Variations :
Vanilla
Omit cocoa powder , add vanilla extract

Strawberry -
Add 3 frozen strawberries to the vanilla mix.

Morning cafe pro ( love this one )
1 - 8 Oz cup coffee blended with a 12 Oz chocolate protein shake ( use 2 scoops above mix instead of 3)
I make coffee & shake separately then mix together by pouring both into a 20 Oz cup. I omit the ice cubes and then it is nice warm temp for drinking right away. *Making separate keeps it from curdling.

I have a treat on intense cardio days of cafe pro about twice a week . It has really helped me not eat till late afternoons. That may not be considered pure IF , but it is less than 200 cal and has definitely helped me. Btw I no longer add coconut oil to my coffee or shake mix as lowering my fat intake to ~55 % , (dropping a few hundred calories per day ) and upping protein a bit , has finally helped me get over a very long standing stall. But that’s just my experience, every body is different. If you CAN do the fat , both coffee and shakes taste amazing with some organic unrefined virgin coconut oil , expeller pressed.

Hope this helps you! Btw There are many other types of protein powders available , like pea, whey , etc , and Food Babe has lots of info about that. I opted for egg white powder for me , choose what ever works best for your journey .
Best of luck !

(Doug) #18

Hey Doug. Nice name.

I hear you on the super-expensive drinks. Sheesh… And Holy Crow - “butter powder” - I didn’t know this was a thing. :smile: So I researched it a little, and looks like it actually works pretty well, especially as an ingredient when mixed with other things.

If whatever you do is “cheap enough,” and is fun or at least not too much work, then what the heck?

Personally, I sort of cringe at mixing all those powders, but I know that tons of people use protein powder, for example, all the time, with no problems.

If you’re looking for 300 calories of fat, then 1/3 of a stick of butter gets you 90% of the way there. Or, a nice shot of olive oil and poof there’s 300 calories right there. It’s not for everybody, but I’ll do shots of olive oil or just whittle off little pieces of butter and eat them. For ease and quickness, hard to beat tossing down a shot of olive oil.

I’d be interested to hear what you settle on in the end. Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face: