Has anyone heard of Remnant Cholesterol?

(Tracy) #1

I just heard about this and it makes sense and is easy to calculate. You take your total cholesterol, subtract HDL and LDL and what’s left is your remnant. Anything below 17 is great. Mine is 12. I’m still in disbelief that we know all these facts about cholesterol and doctors are still pushing for it to be as low as possible.

(Joey) #2

It is fascinating stuff. I sense that the more we learn the less we know. :wink:

I remember that being all the talk years ago, but I think that kinda went by the wayside once we started do NMR’s since that see’s everything, I could be wrong on that.

(Tracy) #4

My total cholesterol was 327. My remnant is 12. My husband’s total cholesterol was 170 but his remnant was 19. Obviously having a lower total cholesterol doesn’t mean you are in better shape.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #5

I don’t get this! … or maybe I’m not doing it right lol.
In UK units Total C is 5, minus 3.4 LDL and minus 3.67 HDL … I end up with negative 2 !!

Is a negative number possible, or even desirable ?

US units would be
193, -131 - 141 total = minus 79

No, a negative number isn’t possible since Total Cholesterol includes LDL-c, HDL-c plus the cholesterol in other remnant lipoproteins like VLDLs. So it should always be higher than the sum of your LDL-c and HDL-c. I suspect something is wrong with your test result.

You can convert from UK units to mg/dL using this website:

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #7

Ah! I should include Triglycerides in this … I didn’t initially

(Chuck) #8

Wow I just looked at my latest lab results and my results is a 9. That makes me extremely happy.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #9

That’s excellent. I’ve heard it’s a good indication of heart health

(Bob M) #10

Theoretically, the remnant is what is “left over” after processing, so it should be lower. But I really don’t pay much attention to any of these anymore. Get a CAC scan, as it’s the only thing (that’s easy to get and cheaper) that tells you anything.

Hmm…my generic test from the doctor’s doesn’t include remnants.

No, it’s about cholesterol only.

(Jane) #12

Mine is 13, so I guess I am doing ok.