Harvard offers brain food advice

(Joey) #1

Kind of funny that this Harvard “nutritionist” does not utter the word keto … while describing all the things one should refrain from ingesting if one wants to induce/maintain ketosis. The advice isn’t bad. The politics are.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/28/a-harvard-nutritionist-and-brain-expert-avoids-these-5-foods-that-weaken-memory-and-focus.html

Her point about avoiding fried foods is likely based more on what those foods were fried in - rather than the frying process itself. But that’s for another thread :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The advice is pretty sound, except for the bit about nitrates. If they are a concern (and I’m not saying they shouldn’t be), then it would probably be a good idea to avoid the many plant foods that are higher in nitrates than meats are.

(Robin) #3

yeah, seems I see way more “nutritionists” touting the keto woe, without using that term. I tend to get irritated, till I realize they are hopefully reaching some folks who may hear “keto”and think “fad” and walk away… but will try this guys advice, and see the results, AND realize they have slipped into Keto Land. Surprise! :vulcan_salute:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Not to mention that most physicians are still trained to think ketosis = ketoacidosis = bad. If a ketogenic diet can be sneaked in without having to be named as such, so much the better.

Meant to mention that in my earlier post. I suspect that potatoes are still probably not a great idea, even fried in tallow, but meats fried in healthy fats are probably fine. Of course, our idea of a healthy fat would make a Harvard-trained nutritionist faint in horror.

(Joey) #5

I guess marketing is everything. Kind of reminds me of “Libertarians” …i.e., the principles are embraced by most everyone. The label is off-putting to many. :man_shrugging:

from the article: If you’re eating fried foods daily, switch to weekly. If it’s a weekly habit, try enjoying them just once a month. If you don’t eat fried foods, you’re already on your way to happier times!

YUP THEY NAILED it right for all of us.

Done.

absolute useless article info on nutrition point blank.

another ‘fluff’ but we say Harvard and we all bow ----ick